Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

lazyboy97o

Dunno why al the fuss around the spidey ride, a land can't be full of e-tickets, plus they need a family ride... (hello Flight of the Hippogriff) to make the land feel more open for everyone. The only thing I dislike of this are the facades... cheap.
Who said anything about a land full of E-Tickets? If someone wants to experience shooting a web they can go buy a can of silly string. Literally sitting in between these two attractions will be another Spider-Man attraction that is widely regarded as one of the best attractions in the world. Why invite the comparison?

PizzaPlanet

It's kind of ironic that the situation with Marvel and Star Wars in the theme parks is kind of the opposite of what's happening with the movies. Galaxy's Edge has a grand vision, while DCA's Marvel land seems to be haphazardly thrown together, with attractions odly being added piece by piece.

I hope they prove us wrong and this all works out.

JD2000

I just became aware of the blueprints and can't believe it is worse than imagined. It is just another Midway Mania! I mean that ride is fun and everything, but nothing more than a slightly elaborate video game, and we don't need more than one. I would never go to Disneyland for that.

:confused:

TROR

The MCU is over now anyway. Over the next few years the movies will only continue to decline and eventually have overstayed their welcome by the general public. It’s inevitable when you don’t end when you’re on top. The MCU peaked and it’s all downhill from here.

mickEblu

So the track layout looks super lame. I don’t care so much that it’s not trackless. Anyway what do you think the odds are that we at least get some well integrated screens within the sets. Or sets at all? Lol

One thing to consider is this building will have way taller ceilings than TSMM...right?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The difference between the Western and the Superhero is that we don't have rides based off specific Western movies which are dated, we have rides based around the concept which is timeless. The MCU will not be timeless just because it's popular now.

Weren't there a bunch of Western-based rides in the original DL that became dated and removed?

Where are the mules, man? Where the mules!??

nevol

So the track layout looks super lame. I don’t care so much that it’s not trackless. Anyway what do you think the odds are that we at least get some well integrated screens within the sets. Or sets at all? Lol

One thing to consider is this building will have way taller ceilings than TSMM...right?
The only reason I think they have those tall steal i beams out front is to create a flat wall surface high enough to cover the shape of the bug's land theater. No room for any practical sets, unless there is one or two scenes at the beginning and end, which would be just as dumb as not having them at all, because your eyes need to adjust to a certain type of reality with a certain set of rules to suspend disbelief, and having one or two built out sets with a bunch of screen walls will just be shooting themselves in the foot. If you look at the blueprint, there is no room for any practical sets. Just the ride track, ride vehicles, and screens just outside the reach envelope.

Disney, I beg of you. You hardly made any progress in 9 months anyway. Just stop. Full stop on construction of this ride.

mickEblu

The only reason I think they have those tall steal i beams out front is to create a flat wall surface high enough to cover the shape of the bug's land theater. No room for any practical sets, unless there is one or two scenes at the beginning and end, which would be just as dumb as not having them at all, because your eyes need to adjust to a certain type of reality with a certain set of rules to suspend disbelief, and having one or two built out sets with a bunch of screen walls will just be shooting themselves in the foot. If you look at the blueprint, there is no room for any practical sets. Just the ride track, ride vehicles, and screens just outside the reach envelope.

Disney, I beg of you. You hardly made any progress in 9 months anyway. Just stop. Full stop on construction of this ride.

It was kind of blurry on my phone but yeah it looks like we re going up and down supermarket aisles like TSMM.

britain

Pirates of the Caribbean was about this far along as a walk-through when they stopped, tore everything out, and made it a boat ride.

They’ve done it before they can do it again.

lazyboy97o

The only reason I think they have those tall steal i beams out front is to create a flat wall surface high enough to cover the shape of the bug's land theater.
The building is essentially two stories, with a sizable catwalk above the ride itself. The clear height at the show scenes is about 20’ (just over 5.5m).

FerretAfros

The MCU is over now anyway. Over the next few years the movies will only continue to decline and eventually have overstayed their welcome by the general public. It’s inevitable when you don’t end when you’re on top. The MCU peaked and it’s all downhill from here.
I was wondering about this as well. I really don't follow the MCU at all, but from my understanding the general timeframe and volume of content created is roughly equivalent to a TV series, and one that's more-or-less come to its finale with the latest film

The reason TV is rarely used for permanent fixtures in the park is that by its very nature it's tied to the zeitgeist of a particular moment in time. A film's popularity can ebb and flow over time as people discover new things about it or let it fade into their memory. A TV show's popularity needs to remain high in order to justify the ongoing production costs; when the popularity dies down or the story ends, the show is cancelled and generally forgotten.

[Edit: On the flipside, if a TV show continues ad infinitum, you run the risk of having an attraction that is completely out of date with the show's current content, and risks overlooking favorite moments, settings, and characters that could otherwise be incorporated. It would be akin to having something based on only Act II of a 5 act play. To an extent, this is also an issue with all of Disney's recent hyper-detailed franchise-based lands: Carsland and Pandora are set between the 1st and 2nd film of their respective franchises, while Galaxy's Edge is set during the 3rd trilogy.]

In the 64 year history of Disney parks, there have only been a handful of "permanent" attractions with roots in TV (Davy Crockett Frontier Museum, Gadget's Go-Coaster, Kim Possible/Agent P World Showcase Adventure), all of which lingered around well past their shows had ended and were forgotten by the general public (I'm excluding the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes, since the connection is in name only). Heck, both overlays of the World Showcase interactive game began after the respective series had already been cancelled. Similar to the perennial Tomorrowland problem, as much as I'd like for Disney to keep current with their content for TV-related attractions, I recognize that's just not going to happen.

While it's current popularity is undeniable, I really question the wisdom of adding such a large and permanent area to the parks related to the MCU. From my understanding, End Game largely wrapped up the loose ends and sent the main characters on their way; will people still care about the Avengers in 10-15 years? Or will it be like having a major theme park area devoted to Lost, High School Musical, or Desperate Housewives?

Last edited:

celluloid

While it's current popularity is undeniable, I really question the wisdom of adding such a large and permanent area to the parks related to the MCU. From my understanding, End Game largely wrapped up the loose ends and sent the main characters on their way; will people still care about the Avengers in 10-15 years? Or will it be like having a major theme park area devoted to Lost, High School Musical, or Desperate Housewives?

It will at least have the pop cultural awareness and knowing that Disney now profits off of Marvel in general, you can bet for remakes.
I would think that Star Wars and Star Tours are perhaps our best comparison. Originally opening within a few years after the last installment of the original films then, many spin offs that were not critically acclaimed but succesful enough to be culturally relevant. After things settle for 10-15 years people miss it again.

Phroobar

Tough to Be A Bug is one of Disney's best attractions. Also, replacing an E Ticket with a High D is a step down, not forward.
lwdxx.jpg

DanielBB8

Tough to Be A Bug is one of Disney's best attractions. Also, replacing an E Ticket with a High D is a step down, not forward.
It should have outlasted the Muppets, but it didn’t. The best attraction no one wants to see.
You don’t argue with $2 Billion box office with Endgame and $1 Billion with Captain Marvel. Those characters will continue despite the ending. For all the concern about losing Gamora in Infinity War, she’s back in Endgame. So Guardians will remain an attraction there.

The new Spiderman movie will arrive soon. I doubt he’s going away. The question is what’s the next Avengers attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom