Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

TROR

And yet its art because someone considers it art. Whether you or even I agree with that assessment is irrelevant.
You're right, it doesn't matter if we agree or not because beauty isn't subjective. Anyone who says that is art or beautiful is in denial of truth as far too many people are about a great many things.

SuddenStorm

I'm not saying they're not good attractions, that is why they have stood the test of time with nostalgia playing a big part in that.

But I'm talking about new attractions, where if built using the same static figures wouldn't likely have the same appeal.

What're you talking about? The Incredicoaster was built with exclusively static figures- and many park fans went nuts over it. It even got Micechat's blessing.

SuddenStorm

And the mistake of your view is thinking about it as a fan rather than from a business who's guests expect "more" with each new attraction.

Guests today largely have a "been there done that" type of mentality, getting bored really quick. PotC and HM gets away with having relatively static AAs because of nostalgia. However if they were built today the same way I'd imagine they would universally be panned by most critics and guests would likely say "meh" and both would be one and done.

I disagree with a few of your points here. Guests today definitely don't have a "been there done that" mentality with Disneyland or any of it's attractions- the parks are literally the most popular they've ever been partly because of the incredibly successful AP program which helps people visit many times a year..

In the past, Imagineering had a balance between integrating something new, as well as improving the old stuff. Walt new how to roll out new tech to the parks- Start with Tiki Room, then Lincoln, then Pirates for AA's as an example. Pirates only needed one or two fully moving AA's (the auctioneer and captain), the rest have limited movement but are still convincing.

Or again in the '80s and '90s- Integrate simulator technology with Star Tours (which had a decent amount of AA's too for the size of the attraction)- then take simulator tech and put it on wheels for Indy.

I actually think having the one incredibly impressive AA (like Rocket in Guardians) hurts the rest of the ride, since it makes the limited motion/static figures in the queue and the purely screen based effects on the ride look lame by comparison. I'm curious to see how well Hondo is implemented into the Falcon attraction, and how well the blend of screens, limited motion AA's, as well as fully fluid AA's works in RotR.

mickEblu

And the mistake of your view is thinking about it as a fan rather than from a business who's guests expect "more" with each new attraction.

Guests today largely have a "been there done that" type of mentality, getting bored really quick. PotC and HM gets away with having relatively static AAs because of nostalgia. However if they were built today the same way I'd imagine they would universally be panned by most critics and guests would likely say "meh" and both would be one and done.

So then are you saying the hangar in the ROTR queue would be better off with one amazing Storm trooper AA instead of 50 limited motion ones?

It really just comes down to each attraction. For some lower scale attraction or one that relies on thrill, one really impressive AA may be enough. More often than not though I think more AAs (even if limited in motion) can only help in creating a convincing world.

One example of WDI missing the mark is on the Pandora boat ride. Why does it have to be a one billion dollar AA or nothing? That attraction looks like it could use a few more simple AA’s of some Pandora beasts and other Navi. They would have been better off without the shaman and using that budget on like 20 limited motion AAs. It’s nice to have a show stopper AA like the Shaman at WDW but not if the budget is such that it doesn’t allow to round out the rest of the attraction if necessary. To me the Pandora boat ride is an example of poor budgeting/ planning and WDI being more concerned with showcasing tech instead of story and world building.

SuddenStorm

So then are you saying the hangar in the ROTR queue would be better off with one amazing Storm trooper AA instead of 50 limited motion ones?

It really just comes down to each attraction. For some lower scale attraction or one that relies on thrill, one really impressive AA may be enough. More often than not though I think more AAs (even if limited in motion) can only help in creating a convincing world.

One example of WDI missing the mark is on the Pandora boat ride. Why does it have to be a one billion dollar AA or nothing? That attraction looks like it could use a few more simple AA’s of some Pandora beasts and other Navi. They would have been better off without the shaman and using that budget on like 20 limited motion AAs. It’s nice to have a show stopper AA like the Shaman at WDW but not if the budget is such that it doesn’t allow to round out the rest of the attraction if necessary. To me the Pandora boat ride is an example of poor budgeting/ planning and WDI being more concerned with showcasing tech instead of story and world building.

One issue with the one incredible AA vs many less expensive ones is that it shifts the focus of the whole ride onto that single figure. If there were other creatures and Navi seen throughout the boat ride, the Shaman would be impressive, but it wouldn't distract from the point of the ride.

I remember hearing once (I believe from an Alice Davis interview... but I could be misremembering the source) that the auctioneer in pirates of the caribbean was a more advanced figure than Lincoln. But instead of being the focus of the ride and the only thing people talk about, the additional motion that figure had vs the others in the attraction helped make the ride more believable and almost distract from the limited motion of the other figures.

truecoat

The Red Car Trolley is scheduled to go down to be rerouted. Guessing it’ll turn left in front of GOTC instead of right now?

I always thought they should extend the line and now would be a good time.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I always thought they should extend the line and now would be a good time.

View attachment 354169

This one I'm gonna have to disagree with. The trolly fits the aesthetic of the 1920-30s look of Buena Vista Street and Hollywood Land. I can't picture it running through the upcoming Marvel Land. Because of the aesthetics and it's limited distance, I can accept having to move out from the middle of the street to avoid the vehicle, but having it all the way down the park's main corridor is too much for me.

Add to that the fact you'd need to install the overhead electrical line the entire route which to me would be an eyesore outside of the natural aesthetic of the 20's-30's. If I'm not mistaken, Paint the Night had to make height adjustments to their floats to accommodate the portion of the parade route in HL, but I suppose any parade would have to suffer that regardless of if the trolly was extended or not, so that's not really a factor.

RCT and the Main Street vehicles should stay only being in a small portion of the parks and not span the entire park. They would lose their charm. Just my opinion. I have a feeling that they will most likely shorten the route at this point to keep it away from the Marvel sections, I just don't know where they would relocate the maintenance bay on the east side of GOTG. In fact, add that to my above argument....where would they put the maintenance bay at the location you are putting the end of the line? It's gotta go somewhere and be big enough to fit.

BrianLo

Original Poster

One issue with the one incredible AA vs many less expensive ones is that it shifts the focus of the whole ride onto that single figure. If there were other creatures and Navi seen throughout the boat ride, the Shaman would be impressive, but it wouldn't distract from the point of the ride.

To be fair, the real issue with the Pandora boat ride isn't what comes before the Shaman... it's what comes after.

Had you actually 'arrived' wherever you were going after the Shaman (i.e. the soul tree with some animals and Navi hanging around it in a large open air room), the ride would probably be well received. It's too short.

Instead the ride builds to the Shaman and it seems like she just is like ok ride over, you can't go to the sacred place, baaiii.

Almost every instance of one impressive AA doesn't have the AA be the finale. Everest still has coaster elements. JTTCOE has the thrill. Roaring Rapids basically still has a ton of rapids left to go. Navi River Journey just confusingly ends.

After people have waited 75 minutes for a C-ticket.

I kind of feel the same about Mermaid. Had we entered a finale show room with Eric sailing into oversized cackling Ursula, it wouldn't feel like it ended with a wet fart.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
Totally random tangent... just pat me on the head for a minute and let me carry this Mermaid rant.

This is the Tokyo difference. You get your cardboard flat cutout scene and you are all like ok ya that's like Ursula. Then you round the corner and are shocked by the full meal deal.

tokyo-disneysea-sinbads-storybook-voyage-purple-whale-silhouette.jpg

2015-11-20_0218.jpg

mickEblu

To be fair, the real issue with the Pandora boat ride isn't what comes before the Shaman... it's what comes after.

Had you actually 'arrived' wherever you were going after the Shaman (i.e. the soul tree with some animals and Navi hanging around it in a large open air room), the ride would probably be well received. It's too short.

Instead the ride builds to the Shaman and it seems like she just is like ok ride over, you can't go to the sacred place, baaiii.

Almost every instance of one impressive AA doesn't have the AA be the finale. Everest still has coaster elements. JTTCOE has the thrill. Roaring Rapids basically still has a ton of rapids left to go. Navi River Journey just confusingly ends.

I kind of feel the same about Mermaid. Had we entered a finale show room with Eric sailing into oversized cackling Ursula, it wouldn't feel like it ended with a wet fart.

So then aren’t we saying the same thing? The attraction needs more. I imagine it was a budget issue and not a creative choice to put one AA in the entire attraction. If it was a budget issue then that money would have been better served going to multiple AAs. If it was creative choice, it makes no sense. Either way, I never said that the placement of the Shaman was the issue. I’m not sure it confusingly ends as much as it’s “thats It?” If guests had just gone through multiple scenes with sets/AAs a la Pirates then it would get a pass. For example, I’ve never viewed the armory scene in Pirates as some grand finale, especially before the addition of Depp. It just the last vignette in a series of them.

Disney Analyst

Omg bold had me. Done. Dead. Gone.

Ismael Flores

RCT and the Main Street vehicles should stay only being in a small portion of the parks and not span the entire park. They would lose their charm. Just my opinion. I have a feeling that they will most likely shorten the route at this point to keep it away from the Marvel sections, I just don't know where they would relocate the maintenance bay on the east side of GOTG. In fact, add that to my above argument....where would they put the maintenance bay at the location you are putting the end of the line? It's gotta go somewhere and be big enough to fit.
I think the maintenance building is in the wrong spot to begin with not sure why they decided to build it right in the middle of what could have eventually been a corridor into an expansion path of the park. I guess if they wanted they can just keep it there they just wouldn't use that section of track during operating hours and instead add a small portion if track that turns left as soon as it gets to the GoTG:MB plaza area. I just don't see any other area they could fit the trolley maintenance building unless they put it right up against the back of the animation building. That whole backstage area that was once used for GotG:MB extended queue has been dug out and cleared.

or

they can just push it back a few yards from where it is now and just extend the backstage tracks. something like what I did in this picture below. That would open up the area quite a bit especially if they eventually remove the large fan motors that were used for the flying tires as well as the already torn up storage area for the tires that doesn't seem to be used anymore. A large perfectly wide corridor would be created for access to the rest of timon. one thing I noticed of the demolition of FFF is that they kept a piece of wall which holds the pillar for the existing gates. I circled the area in yellow. I would have thought that the gate would be pushed back quite a bit to open up the transitional area into the tower courtyard but maybe they want to keep it so that they have road access and plenty of work access next to the tower. There still needs to be a wall to close off the backside of tower so maybe something like the red line can be used as a guide for a wall that is heavily landscaped.

It really will be interesting to see what they have in mind to properly use that whole land. It is too bad that we don't know much about this project. Would be nice if they gave us more information like they did in Hong kong

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom