Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

mickEblu

At this point I think people think Fantasyland has always been the way it is right now. Not helping is multitude of official sources make it sound like New Fantasyland just improved the exteriors and the Dizzytubers constantly doing what it does best.. spread misinformation.

I agree. That’s why I said it most likely has to do with other factors. Yeah from what I understand all of the dark ride attractions were gutted and built over.

Fantasyland 83 is the only Fantasyland I know. Don’t feel like I missed out on much. I was able to experience the tail end of the Skyway’s run even though my memories riding it are really hazy.

Old Mouseketeer

I agree. That’s why I said it most likely has to do with other factors. Yeah from what I understand all of the dark ride attractions were gutted and built over.

Fantasyland 83 is the only Fantasyland I know. Don’t feel like I missed out on much. I was able to experience the tail end of the Skyway’s run even though my memories riding it are really hazy.

The biggest change is where Pinocchio and Village House are now. Everything beyond Snow White was demolished and a full basement was dug. I think aroung 3/4 of Alice just had scenes replaced. Not sure about the track for Snow White (cheap replacement) or the ceiling track for Peter Pan. The steel framing for 3/4 of Fantasyland remained, just like the Buzz/Circlevision and AtIS/Star Tours buildings in T-Land 1967. Don't know if they completely dug up the slab like T-Land.

Old Mouseketeer

So here's a question for Darkbeer and any other old guys (like me). Disney has just closed two major chunks of Real Estate, West DTD and Bug's Land, and then all but cancelled the intended projects. This looks like a very different action for Disney. Looking back there was the suspension of development of Haunted Mansion so that they could focus on the World's Fair and the change mid-stream on Pirates from a walk-through to a ride after excavation had taken place. They have closed things before and left them empty. But have they ever announced a major project like this AND closed big chunks of land AND broken ground and then changed their minds? This is a level of dithering I don't recall seeing before. We've seen tons of major projects cancelled or altered (original World Showcase/shopping mall in the MK parking lot). The closest thing I can think of is the unfinished half of Pop Century that later became Art of Animation.

IMHO this makes Chapek sound not ready for primetime. Any thoughts?

SuddenStorm

That system usually leads to the same type of ride. If you're on a slow omnimover in a ride dedicated to an IP, it's usually scene after scene of the movie.

It doesn't have to be though. There's no reason for the creators to not find a way to translate the world of the film into a ride form.

I refuse to believe that an Omnimover ride could be as immersive as Adventure Thru Inner Space or The Haunted Mansion, but the second IP is introduced, it needs to be a play by play of the film.

mickEblu

It doesn't have to be though. There's no reason for the creators to not find a way to translate the world of the film into a ride form.

I refuse to believe that an Omnimover ride could be as immersive as Adventure Thru Inner Space or The Haunted Mansion, but the second IP is introduced, it needs to be a play by play of the film.

It doesn’t have to be at all. I think having IP to draw from just gives the imagineers more of a tunnel vision and limits their imagination as well as their motivation to do something great and think outside the box.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

It doesn’t have to be at all. I think having IP to draw from just gives the imagineers more of a tunnel vision and limits their imagination as well as their motivation to do something great and think outside the box.
When you start from a preexisting IP, you get a built in story along with songs, and characters. Therefore, using that story = time and money saved on coming up with anything else. IP is going to almost always be a cheaper avenue than creating something from scratch.

SuddenStorm

When you start from a preexisting IP, you get a built in story along with songs, and characters. Therefore, using that story = time and money saved on coming up with anything else. IP is going to almost always be a cheaper avenue than creating something from scratch.

Well put.

It's the difference between something like Indiana Jones Adventure or Splash Mountain vs the Little Mermaid

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Not with kids I don’t think. For me no other song says Disney or Disneyland more than “When you wish upon a Star.”

Agreed. It’s a shame that Disney doesn’t push their original classics more.

The term "book report" has nothing to do with the ride system. It refers to how the Imagineers approached the ride creatively. A book report ride could have the most innovative ride system ever seen.

Yep. The ride system is just a tool to get the audience through the attraction. It’s up the Imagineers to create the experience.

The best rides that I’ve ridden have been where you go through the scenes like you’re a character and you feel like you’re in the scene. Mr Toad is probably the most obvious. Pinocchio, Alice and Snow White have those kind of elements but are mostly just passing through scenes from the films. Still charming though.

truecoat

So here's a question for Darkbeer and any other old guys (like me). Disney has just closed two major chunks of Real Estate, West DTD and Bug's Land, and then all but cancelled the intended projects.

I would assume they are just holding off until the elections. Only a few weeks away to see if the wind blows in another direction so to speak.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom