Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

Phroobar

I'm just waiting for the city to figure out that someone misspelled the name of the area or was off on square footage on some permit and Disney halting all construction for years leaving us a Bugs Land pit.

NateD1226

Some of the characters have been removed from the land and we’re found.

credit to jaytasmic on instagram
B818B2EE-1D96-4AAC-BE6A-ED385626B581.png

Ismael Flores

Some of the characters have been removed from the land and we’re found.

credit to jaytasmic on instagram
View attachment 318828
That is a strange spot to keep these sculptures. looks like the backroad behind CarsLand. I'm hoping they are there because they will be brought back in thru the other gate and be added to the gardens inside Pixar Pier. The gardens next to the Pixar promenade could use a bit of color and theme.

kap91

• Marvel Land. Is planned to open with a "C Ticket" in the Bugs theater in 2020, but she doesn't know which one they landed on after the big Avengers E Ticket coaster was cancelled due to being hugely expensive and ridiculously low on rider capacity. She said there's a lady VP in TDA named Chris who hates that all WDI designs nowadays are big budget rides that have horrible ride capacity. She said that when Richard Nunis was running the Parks Division in the 1980's and 90's it was all about ride capacity, but the new crop of Imagineers are all 23 year old interns who never worked in Operations or middle aged celebrity Imagineers who sniff their noses at the lowly theme park operators and their bosses as they glide away in their Tesla to a swanky west LA home. She said the average salary at WDI could pay the salary of three or four theme park managers, and WDI currently is really out of touch with how theme parks operate. It's a big problem, but at least their visually impressive but operationally flawed Avengers coaster got cancelled just in the nick of time thanks to the work of the VP Chris and others who rallied around the glaring capacity problem. Marvel Land will be completed in phases that will stretch into the 2020's, but how much money it gets and how many rides get built will depend on Anaheim politics in 2019.

Per @TP2000
IDK how you become a theme park designer without extensively thinking about things like capacity, and how operations actually will work an attraction, but somehow it seems to be a pretty common oversight. Like it doesn't take having worked in operations to know that the classic people eaters all have capacity in the 3000s per hour and that a bare minimum is 2000. I get that achieving excess of 3000 without an omnimover or large-scale boat ride is difficult, especially when you want to offer more personal, intimate rides, but like this is what the resources of imagineering should be tuned towards solving.

I tend to think the lack of capacity on many modern attractions might be an intentional choice, rather than oversight, and that's a real bummer.

mickEblu

IDK how you become a theme park designer without extensively thinking about things like capacity, and how operations actually will work an attraction, but somehow it seems to be a pretty common oversight. Like it doesn't take having worked in operations to know that the classic people eaters all have capacity in the 3000s per hour and that a bare minimum is 2000. I get that achieving excess of 3000 without an omnimover or large-scale boat ride is difficult, especially when you want to offer more personal, intimate rides, but like this is what the resources of imagineering should be tuned towards solving.

I tend to think the lack of capacity on many modern attractions might be an intentional choice, rather than oversight, and that's a real bummer.

Agreed.

As far as the lack of capacity on modern attractions I don’t think it’s so much a choice but that the imagineers are more focused on giving us cutting edge technology and unique ride systems and in the process they forget the basics like capacity or just making the ride fun. With that said maybe “forget” is the wrong word. Lower the priority of those basics is probably more accurate.

kap91

like hell, even my FAKE poppins ride was designed to handle between 2200-2800 people an hour, and space for at least an hour of people indoors. And there's all sorts of realistic things I ignored for simplicity, like it's an essential intrinsic part of the process. Instead the process seems to be inverted these days - design a queue that will fit 5 hours of people and a ride that will ensure it's used.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You would think by now Disney would’ve built many people eating attractions along the lines of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc. Hell, for the price of that mediocre Little Mermaid they could’ve built like 10 Alice, Mr. Toad, and Peter Pan style dark rides with different themes. Boneheads.

And then people, most likely the same arm chair imagineers complaining about capacity, would be hypercritical of all the rides being the same.

TP2000

You would think by now Disney would’ve built many people eating attractions along the lines of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc. Hell, for the price of that mediocre Little Mermaid they could’ve built like 10 Alice, Mr. Toad, and Peter Pan style dark rides with different themes. Boneheads.

Whatever happened to that Imagineer lady who was in charge of Little Mermaid? She was in all the publicity pre-opening, but POOF! she isn't mentioned any more. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/06/under-the-sea-with-imagineer-lisa-girolami/

EDIT: Oh my gosh. I just Googled her, and she's alive and well and apparently quite a gal. She is still with WDI according to her Linkedin, but she also is a "Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) licensed with the Board of Behavioral Sciences, California." That's an unusual skill to take to Imagineering, don't you think? And she is an author of books that, um, you'd probably want to put a paper book cover over if you were taking them to the beach. Here is the only book image I found that was suitable for this family website, from a 2008 book she wrote titled "Love On Location". Ms. Girolami's other titles include such steamy reads as "The Heat of Angels", "Fugitives of Love", "The Pleasure Set", etc.

51hh0HmTimL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And so they chose her to be in charge of the Little Mermaid Omnimover ride??? Things are starting to make sense on that one, even though I'm even more confused than I ever was. o_O

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom