Marvel Developing ‘Wonder Man’ Series for D+

NateD1226

Original Poster
"Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings filmmaker Destin Daniel Cretton has teamed up with Andrew Guest, a writer-producer on comedies such as Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Community, to tackle a live-action series featuring the longtime Marvel character.

Guest will serve as head writer of the series, while Cretton will exec produce and possibly direct an episode or more. Cretton is working via his overall deal with Marvel Studios, signed late last year in the glow of Shang-Chi’s success.

Development for what is being titled Wonder Man is in the early stages, but if things crackle, cameras could be rolling in 2023."

doctornick

IIRC Nathan Fillion played Simon Williams in a scene from some MCU movie that was cut. Wonder if they’d bring him back for this?

Jacob Marley

Concept sounds neat, but "Wonder Man" as the title? Has the creativity factory run that dry to come so close to ripping off DC names?

Up next: Marvel's Bat Person vs The Riddle Guy

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
How many obscure MARVEL shows do we actually need? How many of them are actually going to be successful at that?

Jacob Marley

That’s the character’s name so… what else are you gonna do? 🤷
I would give him a different name. Like I said the concept / story doesn't look bad.
But with Wonder Woman being such an iconic character over in DC's universe, this name just makes it look like there was a brainstorming meeting over at Marvel and everyone was tired and said "heck it, just call him Wonder Man so we can go home." Lol

doctornick

I would give him a different name. Like I said the concept / story doesn't look bad.
But with Wonder Woman being such an iconic character over in DC's universe, this name just makes it look like there was a brainstorming meeting over at Marvel and everyone was tired and said "heck it, just call him Wonder Man so we can go home." Lol
If you give him another name then you’re basically creating a new character. Which is fine but kinda defeats the point of adopting established characters for brand awareness.

The character has been around since 1964 so seems to just push aside that history.

tcool123

How many obscure MARVEL shows do we actually need? How many of them are actually going to be successful at that?
So far Marvel has been very successful with a lot of their more obscure heroes (Gaurdians, Dr Strange, Ant-ManShang-Chi, Eternals, Moon Knight) as they all have seen decent to great grosses in theaters and spectacular performances on streaming. Plus it continues the build up possible IPs to make into a Marvel land in Florida given the best IPs are gatekeeped by Universal.

doctornick

So far Marvel has been very successful with a lot of their more obscure heroes (Gaurdians, Dr Strange, Ant-ManShang-Chi, Eternals, Moon Knight) as they all have seen decent to great grosses in theaters and spectacular performances on streaming. Plus it continues the build up possible IPs to make into a Marvel land in Florida given the best IPs are gatekeeped by Universal.
Just FWIW I wouldn’t think that Wonder Man specifically would be allowed at WDW given his long history with the Avengers. I know you weren’t specifically saying that but figured I’d mention

Phicinfan

The comic character is "Wonder man", you can't just change the name now to hype a new show. Seriously?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It sounds like lazy writing for the title.

Talking down to me? Welcome to ignore and goodbye. And yes, seriously.
The character has been around for 58 years created by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. So an origin story show named after an already established character about said character seems perfectly acceptable to me and not lazy writing at all.

I mean what would you personally call it for an already established character named Wonder Man, can't change the characters name though?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So my question, are we going to get the origin story where Zemo turns Simon Williams into Wonder Man? Because if so I'm all for a new Zemo dance number -

baron-zemo-dancing.gif

doctornick

So my question, are we going to get the origin story where Zemo turns Simon Williams into Wonder Man? Because if so I'm all for a new Zemo dance number -

baron-zemo-dancing.gif
Yeah I’d hope he starts off as a villain (though being enhanced by Zemo doesn’t fit well with how Zeno has been portrayed in the MCU) to infiltrate the Avengers before switching to fighting for good.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

The character has been around for 58 years created by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee. So an origin story show named after an already established character about said character seems perfectly acceptable to me and not lazy writing at all.

I mean what would you personally call it for an already established character named Wonder Man, can't change the characters name though?
He was a Marvel reaction to Superman as well.
Wonderman - was Marvel's superman - also adopting the Wonder name to pull some fans maybe from Wonder Woman.
Similar - DC had Captain Marvel who got changed to Shazam when folks confused Marvels Captain Marvel.

These two companies have gone this way back and forth for quite some time

Disney Irish

Premium Member
He was a Marvel reaction to Superman as well.
Wonderman - was Marvel's superman - also adopting the Wonder name to pull some fans maybe from Wonder Woman.
Similar - DC had Captain Marvel who got changed to Shazam when folks confused Marvels Captain Marvel.

These two companies have gone this way back and forth for quite some time
Yep the rivalry between the two is well known and is almost as old as TWDC itself.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Since Marvel has reportedly over 8k usable characters, they could put out a new Marvel show weekly for the next 100 years and still not even get to the more popular characters.

Since its Marvel run by Feige I would guess that a majority will be successful, with a few misses here and there.

doctornick

Since Marvel has reportedly over 8k usable characters, they could put out a new Marvel show weekly for the next 100 years and still not even get to the more popular characters.

Since its Marvel run by Feige I would guess that a majority will be successful, with a few misses here and there.
Yeah it’s part of the reason that Marvel makes for such a great property for a streaming service. There’s a ton of material there to consider and well executed series can be great for D+. The key thing is to give them all some distinct character and I think they’ve been doing that fairly well for D+. Some of the series have been uneven but there are all unique and interesting in some way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom