Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

DoTheImpossible

Disney is not above playing games and stretching as much as possible. Disney's argument could be that the attraction opening first would be a pre-existing, "unrelated" development to what is happening in the films that do not constitute the core cannon as described in the style guides and are produced outside the purview of Marvel Entertainment with whom Universal has a contract.

That only applies to the retail concept described in the contract.

The contract is public record. And Disney is definitely not above dancing.

Lawsuits aren't allowed. Everything goes to arbitration.

Disney would never create a major attraction without being 100% sure on the legal side. Their park investment model over the years has been "too little, too late." They wouldn't spend major coin on something they'd be at risk to lose because of a contract that was signed years ago (which has most likely been tirelessly analyzed by Disney legal). If they open a major GotG attraction as planned, that will be after both Infinity War movies and should put the debate to rest.

Kate F

Alice, Pete's Dragon and BFG all have the potential to be flops.
Well, we already know that Alice was a flop and I wouldn't really be surprised if Pete's Dragon is also a flop. Not sure about BFG, I think it'll do okay, probably won't set the box office on fire or anything, but I don't think it'll be a huge flop either.

Anyway, back to Marvel!

Last edited:

aaronml

Is this story based on a reputable site/individual leaking it?
Re: UofE. You essentially let the metaphorical cat come half-way out of the bag when you said yesterday that GotG was coming to FW. After that, several other folks such as Marni/Martin and MansionButler, and some others like myself, added in information from what each of us knows, which then, metaphorically speaking, was when the cat was fully let out of the bag.

TLDR: You more or less broke the story, which evidently was enough for the "insiders" on here to start adding details. Nobody wants to be the first to let the cat out of the bag, so once you did it, everyone else started doing so as well.

COProgressFan

Brooks is also Tweeting Ricky 'Now Single and Available, Gals' Brigante talking about Disney pretending gators don't exist. Why he is giving BRAND advocates play on his Tweeter is an interesting question to ponder.

Two things I learned after seeing his Twitter: Brooks is younger than I expected (on second look, I guess he's early 40s but looks much younger), and for a professional journalist from the stodgy-old NYT, his Twitter comments are surprisingly fanboi-ish.

It's all starting to make sense now...

Cesar R M

Seems like the Food and Wine is going on all of the time. It will be interesting to see if GotG, Big Hero, Inside Out make their way to EPCOT. Very interesting things coming out from the insiders.
and DHS cant have more Frozen to save. Hence why they need help.
The information of epcot is indeed hopefull.. unfortunately.. seems it will means only ip being added and nothing original.

Cesar R M

Well, we already know that Alice was a flop and I wouldn't really be surprised if Pete's Dragon is also a flop. Not sure about BFG, I think it'll do okay, probably won't set the box office on fire or anything, but I don't think it'll be a huge flop either.

Anyway, back to Marvel!
The interesting part is, I dont think Alice flopped because it was alice or the Depp issues.
All movies in these chain of weeks were flops.
Its like the people just got sick of movies (or the weather finally let them go out to enjoy outdoors)
Because there were 3 weeks of continuous flops (including TMNT 2 too)

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's at times like this when, despite all the wonderful personal friends I've made through being an online Spirit and all of the people at Disney I've ****ed off, I just wonder if 90% of fans are dumb schmucks who really have no idea what it is that they're fans of.

No, I'm not back in this thread to talk specifics beyond the basic truth that GotG IP does indeed appear heading for EPCOT after TDO balked at the ToT plans from Anaheim, not over any intrinsic feeling that what was being proposed was inherently wrong as it was of course, but simply that they can't keep their laughable Studios park open minus another major attraction.

No, I'm more interested with the psyches of fans who say ''this is super awesome kewl'' because they are why we get what we do.

How can anyone be a fan of everything EPCOT is supposed to be about and think that making it simply MK 2.0 with three annual food and booze festivals is the correct move and should be lauded by fans from Sanford to Windermere?

That's what most fans want. They want every Disney park to be the Magic Kingdom (and not the one that existed in the 70s-90s, either).

I am of the firm belief that for most fans, 'Disney' is the theme. Always and everywhere.

It isn't about history, about what came before, about basic tenets of themed development at all.

It's about the BRAND.

It's about Star Lord and Groot, Buzz and Woody, Han and Kylo, Thor and Hulk, Rapunzel and Flynn, Ariel and Eric, Pooh and Tigger etc etc all the way to Mickey and Minnie.

Nothing else matters.

Sure, add IP everywhere because it's hot now .. some of it may even be hot for decades.

This is what is driving today's Disney and it's because the fans are too stupid to know any better or care. And before someone says ''well, GotG is better than what's there now'' I'll say there are more choices than regular or decaf, Coke or Pepsi, second amen... nah, let's stop there.

Future World is truly a timeless concept. A decade from now people might not care about GotG, but they will care about the future. They will care about the land ... about the seas ... about energy ... about transportation ... about imagination. Those concepts don't get old.

EPCOT's core concepts were picked precisely because of their importance to mankind (not the ego of an IP obsessed CEO). The idea that they have somehow grown tired because Disney basically decided late in the 20th century that spending money by reinvesting in the park wasn't good short term business is as crazy as removing gator toys from the shelves of WDW retail outlets because some oversensitive crackpot might have an issue with them.

We could talk about real stuff, like how WDW staffing levels for the July 4th weekend will be woefully insufficient even if it is slow based on SDL caused cutbacks. And how Disney is trying to get another 1,000 folks working this weekend and has accomplished 28% of that. But who cares, right? Those bathrooms were sparkling before and those trashcans and walkways were clean, right?

I like to trash Millennials from time to time and then say ''but some of my best friends are ...'' but this isn't just a young person issue. This is a fan issue. It really goes back to whether you were a Disney parks fan between the 1950s and the 1990s or simply in the last 15 years or so. Disney loves you newbs. Such low expectations. Such misguided views on Walt Disney, WDW and themed entertainment as a whole. And so, so easy to get in your pants ... for your wallets, of course.

Y'all want those Horizons tees, Orange Bird pillows, and LE Walt pins. You have no clue as to why beyond they're what all your cool fanboi friends have bought. Oh, let's not forget tiki mugs or even other mugs because you can't empty those jugs without multiple mugs.

Told y'all how I had drinks with a Celebrity Imagineer back 5-6 years ago now at DL. We talked about WDW's past and then current state and future. And he said mournfully, ''WDW fans get what they deserve.''

I know he wasn't talking about me, but I am really tired of getting stuck with what you like, what you think is right and quality, what you want. But it is a losing battle because what you want is so much cheaper and easier to create and install, so you win.

Congrats! It might make you happy for a while, but you get bored very quickly (that's why you've already had eight iPhones).

Great. Now you can go back to playing with your Groot toy. My Spirited Sabbatical is officially on. Enjoy the summer. And watch out for Ginger ... she snaps!

jensenrick

Speaking of which, Big Hero 6 are apparently free from the Uni contract and already have a presence at Epcot. Maybe something that can be combined with GotG in some way....

Except that they are completely different in myriad ways- live action grit in space vs. cartoony "super"heros in an alternate Earth.
Separate attractions would be okay.

DGracey

EPCOT at its core was celebrating human achievement, technological innovation and international culture.

But, no more.

The Guardian push on both coasts is coming straight from the top - Chapek.

Let's remember. Marvel's Perlmutter got Chapek his position at Consumer Products, then got Chapek his current post running Parks and Resorts. He got Chapek elevated, but has gotten many people out. Perlmutter has had his hand ousting Rich Ross, Andy Mooney, Leslie Ferraro and Mr. Staggs to name a few.

Chapek has and will continue to relentlessly push Marvel, on behalf of his good friend Isaac (and Disney's largest shareholder). After all, he owes him his job for it.

Oh, and the current down-to-the-bone cost cutting exercise is also coming from Chapek. His mentor on how to do it? Perlmutter, who makes Ebenezer Scrooge look like a spend-a-holic.

It's not the galaxy that needs saving. It's EPCOT.

Rodan75

EPCOT at its core was celebrating human achievement, technological innovation and international culture.

But, no more.

The Guardian push on both coasts is coming straight from the top - Chapek.

Let's remember. Marvel's Perlmutter got Chapek his position at Consumer Products, then got Chapek his current post running Parks and Resorts. He got Chapek elevated, but has gotten many people out. Perlmutter has had his hand ousting Rich Ross, Andy Mooney, Leslie Ferraro and Mr. Staggs to name a few.

Chapek has and will continue to relentlessly push Marvel, on behalf of his good friend Isaac (and Disney's largest shareholder). After all, he owes him his job for it.

Oh, and the current down-to-the-bone cost cutting exercise is also coming from Chapek. His mentor on how to do it? Perlmutter, who makes Ebenezer Scrooge look like a spend-a-holic.

It's not the galaxy that needs saving. It's EPCOT.

I was actually going to post something similar. This is all about Chapek looking to impress Ike and solidify his standing at TWDC. Something that I would imagine is slightly in doubt now, as it looks like some of Chapek's decisions at DCP look like complete failures now. (Infinity being the biggest)

Magenta Panther

I was actually going to post something similar. This is all about Chapek looking to impress Ike and solidify his standing at TWDC. Something that I would imagine is slightly in doubt now, as it looks like some of Chapek's decisions at DCP look like complete failures now. (Infinity being the biggest)

GOOD. Good a million times!

I guess we all should have known what we were in for when Disney appointed a merchandising guy to run the parks. Of COURSE such a person would just see the parks as merchandising opportunities. Makes me want to throw up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom