Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nothing here to add yet again beyond bombarding Disney (on BOTH coasts) with your true feelings about this idea.
It will still happen almost assuredly in Anaheim and still possibly in O-Town ... but you'll pi$$ off a lot of folks at the company and that is truly priceless.

In other Marvel news, I still haven't seen Civil War ... ... and I'm still OK with that.

RSoxNo1

Nothing here to add yet again beyond bombarding Disney (on BOTH coasts) with your true feelings about this idea.
It will still happen almost assuredly in Anaheim and still possibly in O-Town ... but you'll pi$$ off a lot of folks at the company and that is truly priceless.

In other Marvel news, I still haven't seen Civil War ... ... and I'm still OK with that.
You crap on a lot and most of it's justified, but Civil War is a fun movie. Worth seeing if you like these movies.

doctornick

You crap on a lot and most of it's justified, but Civil War is a fun movie. Worth seeing if you like these movies.

Not everyone is going to like all movies. Even the movies with the widest appeal and highest viewership are going to have literally millions of people who have no interest in seeing them (or even people who see such movies and don't like them much). That is, of course, totally fine and it's good that people have different tastes and interests.

That said, it's pretty undeniable that the Marvel Studios films are both very popular (with a diverse number of people, not just comic fanboys) and generally very well received by critics. That consistently is pretty remarkable and commendable for a film studio, especially given how hit or miss comic book movies tend to be (and how the Hollywood elite tend to frown upon them). You'd have to be a pretty cynical person to not appreciate the work that Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios has done in their existence, even if the movies are not your cup of tea.

Haymarket2008

I don't see this happening in Orlando. Even if it does eventually happen, it won't be until after Toy Story and Star Wars open. The park cannot afford to take its' star E-ticket offline. Also, once Guardians takes over the DCA one, the reception will (presumably) be so horrible that they won't want to make the same mistake. And the extension of a Marvel land that is possible in DCA, cannot happen in WDW.

Monoblanco13

I don't see this happening in Orlando. Even if it does eventually happen, it won't be until after Toy Story and Star Wars open. The park cannot afford to take its' star E-ticket offline. Also, once Guardians takes over the DCA one, the reception will (presumably) be so horrible that they won't want to make the same mistake. And the extension of a Marvel land that is possible in DCA, cannot happen in WDW.
I honestly think Disney will not care, also there are going to be tons of people that would love it. Think about the new generation do they even know what the Twilight Zone is? I myself Caught the tail end of it as its First revival was from 1985 - 1989, the second even shorter 2002 - 2003 ( According to Wikipedia). I think they would like Guardians better because they probably don't even care about the Twilight zone to begin with. With me I'm indifferent and don't believe anything we say or do will change this cause if it did WDW would be in a much better state than it is currently. This is the same company that has Figment in its current form as well as still running the UoE which hasn't really changed since 1996.

Launchpad McQuack

I honestly think Disney will not care, also there are going to be tons of people that would love it. Think about the new generation do they even know what the Twilight Zone is? I myself Caught the tail end of it as its First revival was from 1985 - 1989, the second even shorter 2002 - 2003 ( According to Wikipedia). I think they would like Guardians better because they probably don't even care about the Twilight zone to begin with. With me I'm indifferent and don't believe anything we say or do will change this cause if it did WDW would be in a much better state than it is currently. This is the same company that has Figment in its current form as well as still running the UoE which hasn't really changed since 1996.

I know this argument has been done to death, but how many people from the new (or even old) generation care or even know about Song of the South? Splash Mountain is right up there with Tower of Terror as far as great theming achievements by WDW, but I would guess that 90% of park visitors have no idea what movie it is based on.

jensenrick

Not everyone is going to like all movies. Even the movies with the widest appeal and highest viewership are going to have literally millions of people who have no interest in seeing them (or even people who see such movies and don't like them much). That is, of course, totally fine and it's good that people have different tastes and interests.

That said, it's pretty undeniable that the Marvel Studios films are both very popular (with a diverse number of people, not just comic fanboys) and generally very well received by critics. That consistently is pretty remarkable and commendable for a film studio, especially given how hit or miss comic book movies tend to be (and how the Hollywood elite tend to frown upon them). You'd have to be a pretty cynical person to not appreciate the work that Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios has done in their existence, even if the movies are not your cup of tea.

All true, although I would add that when I recommend CA: Civil War (as I always do, as it might be my fave Marvel movie yet, next to Avengers), I do it with the proviso that you have to have seen CA: Winter Soldier first, (and to an extent CA: 1st Avenger too) or you are missing out on a LOT of the character building that this movie is building on from the previous. As the director himself said, he never could have made a film like Civil War outside of the MCU, because so much of the character building has been done already. But that's part of what I love about the MCU.

Monoblanco13

I know this argument has been done to death, but how many people from the new (or even old) generation care or even know about Song of the South? Splash Mountain is right up there with Tower of Terror as far as great theming achievements by WDW, but I would guess that 90% of park visitors have no idea what movie it is based on.
CBS licenses the rights to The Twilight Zone™ to Disney Theme Parks. That alone is reason Disney may want to change it. Why pay someone else when you could reap all the benefits? Though I could be wrong just a guess on my part.

doctornick

CBS licenses the rights to The Twilight Zone™ to Disney Theme Parks. That alone is reason Disney may want to change it. Why pay someone else when you could reap all the benefits? Though I could be wrong just a guess on my part.

Perhaps, but they can keep the same basic ride/experience without the Twilight Zone theme. The pre-show would need to be changed to something without the Rod Serling imitator and TZ references. The ride would need some minimal tweaking to the dialogue. This would all be relatively minimal and cheap to do.

ToTBellHop

Perhaps, but they can keep the same basic ride/experience without the Twilight Zone theme. The pre-show would need to be changed to something without the Rod Serling imitator and TZ references. The ride would need some minimal tweaking to the dialogue. This would all be relatively minimal and cheap to do.
Indeed. A changeover to Guardians, on the other hand, wouldn't work. ToT was built, from the ground up, with its current story intended. Twilight Zone isn't necessary, but the story is.

lazyboy97o

It's not like CBS just bought the rights. The arrangement has existed for over 20 years. A big licensed land opens in a year. Nor was ending the theme park licenses a motivating factor in the acquisition of LucasFilm.

margybear

Thing is, Tokyo DisneySea's option doesn't require plastering IP over the attraction- they made an eery attraction with the same thrills as ToT with an original story- sans Twilight Zone. I prefer the Twilight Zone theme, and I think it works well, but if Disney was concerned about licenses, they should know they can make a good original idea. That is probably what annoys me the most- GotG just seems so lazy.

Monoblanco13

This is true, and we all know Disney loves to be cheap sometimes but look what happened to the Malestrom. It probably would have been cheaper to just refurb the attraction, instead they shoehorn an IP all though a popular one. At the end the day I love ToT but if and when Disney decides to change it, I won't get upset as they are going to do what they want regardless.

Monoblanco13

Thing is, Tokyo DisneySea's option doesn't require plastering IP over the attraction- they made an eery attraction with the same thrills as ToT with an original story- sans Twilight Zone. I prefer the Twilight Zone theme, and I think it works well, but if Disney was concerned about licenses, they should know they can make a good original idea. That is probably what annoys me the most- GotG just seems so lazy.
I wish WDW was a percentage like its European \ Asian counterparts. Mind you I love going to Disney, I just feel since WDW is "The vacation spot" Disney does the minimum required as people go regardless to the parks. DL usually gets better timelines and often refurbs, the parks outside of the US have awesome new technologies and creations. I could be wrong as I've only been to WDW at the moment, but plan to visit all the other parks one day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom