Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Matt_Black

arent them more related to the xmen anyway?
I mean, they are mutated/uplifted by the Kree.

How does that connect them to the X-Men? The alien race the X-Men have ahad the most contact with is the Shi'ar. You could say that because of the Kree/ Shi'ar War, that's the connection, but that is incredibly tenuous, at best. The only other Kree/ X-Men connection is Rogue/ Carol Danvers, and that's very long and complicated and makes my head hurt thinking about it.

EDIT: I just remembered that Crystal and Quicksilver were married and have a daughter. So there's that too.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Medusa took sue storms slot when she had Franklin

To be fair, a LOT of people have been on the Fantastic Four. Other substitute members include but are not limited to the Hulk, She-Hulk, Crystal, Ms. Marvel (no, not Carol, and now, not the current one, either), Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Ghost Rider, the Black Panther, Namor, Luke Cage, and probably several others I'm forgetting.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Haven't been back here hardly at all since I broke this news a month ago and as much as I hate to break it to the naysayers, things are still moving forward on both coasts.

From a well-placed source:

"The Tower project is moving along through approvals and design refinements, and the project now has a proposed timeline that closes the attraction this October instead of January as a more elaborate pre-show and queue plan has been given the thumbs up by TDA.

The project isn't formally funded yet as part of Fiscal '17, that won't happen until June or July, but WDI keeps getting happy words and encouragement from TDA and Burbank. TDA could care less about the upset fans, as they consider them to be of the same variety that were upset about Aladdin and Mad T Party closing. TDO continues to balk at the price tag but Chapek thinks the Guardians franchise is the right way to go long term. "

In other words, almost a done deal for Anaheim and still likely for Orlando ... please stick that in your Tweeter!

Cesar R M

Haven't been back here hardly at all since I broke this news a month ago and as much as I hate to break it to the naysayers, things are still moving forward on both coasts.

"The Tower project is moving along through approvals and design refinements, and the project now has a proposed timeline that closes the attraction this October instead of January as a more elaborate pre-show and queue plan has been given the thumbs up by TDA.

The project isn't formally funded yet as part of Fiscal '17, that won't happen until June or July, but WDI keeps getting happy words and encouragement from TDA and Burbank. TDA could care less about the upset fans, as they consider them to be of the same variety that were upset about Aladdin and Mad T Party closing. TDO continues to balk at the price tag but Chapek thinks the Guardians franchise is the right way to go long term. "

In other words, almost a done deal for Anaheim and still likely for Orlando ... please stick that in your Tweeter!
rightinthefeels.jpg

so.. the tower gone.. for a crappy overlay.. insane..

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

I don't see what the big fuzz is about. If they keep the elevator feel and thrill with some retheme or whatever, who cares? From Disney's perspective they will stop paying royalty to CBS and promote one of their franchises. The only question is once GoTG become avengers, then what? They gotta retheme it again? lol

I have no ties to twilight zone. Never watched it. Not sure what the show was about. Don't care about its theme. So to me, personally, it's more about if they will keep the drop, and I'm pretty sure they will.

NearTheEars

Just makes me sick.

FigmentForver96

I don't see what the big fuzz is about. If they keep the elevator feel and thrill with some retheme or whatever, who cares? From Disney's perspective they will stop paying royalty to CBS and promote one of their franchises. The only question is once GoTG become avengers, then what? They gotta retheme it again? lol

I have no ties to twilight zone. Never watched it. Not sure what the show was about. Don't care about its theme. So to me, personally, it's more about if they will keep the drop, and I'm pretty sure they will.
You obviously do not understand what makes the ride what it is. There are over one-hundred pages on discussion at this point, so there is plenty of material to read through and understand why it is wrong, but I am going to give the sparknotes version to save a little time.

1) If you simply think the ride is good because of the thrill factor or the elevator feel then you need to look into more of what makes the ride what it truly is. It is more then just a drop ride in a elevator..in fact the experience starts before you even enter the park. The ride beckons guest from the parking lot to enter and explore. As they turn on to Sunset Blvd they see the huge chilling presence of the tower looming in the distance. The theme is an old hotel in the 1930's and you can easily see why it matches the theming of the entire street (A point I shall make in a moment). Guest enter into the old lobby of this eerie hotel and are surprised when an old television springs to life and the famous Rod Serling comes on. The Twilight Zone theme is brought in and guest, whether they are familiar with the show or night, get excited. there is something truly creepy about the Twilight Zone and it adds an element to the ride that would be a total loss if they just removed that part. the echoing voices in the elevator as you make the climb in the dark chills the skin and makes goose bumps emerge. The elevator breaks from the shaft and guest watch as the gate to the fifth dimension opens and they are moved inside.

2) The theme of Twilight Zone is very important to the overall feel of the story. Listen when you are in the pre-show and hear the more common guest to echo "The Twilight Zone" at the end of the show. They may not watch the show, but they do not have to because like the Hollywood Tower Hotel itself, the theme and Rod Serling are stars of the show business.

3) If you remove the Twilight Zone theme, you are left with an old abandoned hotel in Hollywood with wacked elevator. The ride would be less of a story without the Twilight Zone but it can be done. Disney could easily come up with a convincing way to retell the tale of the tower without messing up the theme.

4) The biggest problem is Guardians of the Galaxy does not fit into the theme of 1930's Hollywood yesterday, today or tomorrow. A futuristic, modern, franchise can not be twisted to fit inside that hotel. Even if they did retheme that tower, then how will they explain the tower in the middle of old Hollywood? Sure they could retheme it to the Collector's Mansion or whatnot...may even say they went back in time, but that just seems like a real lazy way to fit something on the ride.

5) Why have we settled for the lowest common denominator with Disney? This is a company that created a mega resort in a swamp, made mountains, AA's, displayed marvelous technology in Epcot Center, made a working studio concept and sooooo much more. It is sad that we can even allow Disney to think they could do something like this. Guardians of the Galaxy is a great movie and it alone deserves so so much better than what Disney plans to give it. I mean not only do they want to ruin arguably one of the last crowning achievements of WDI, but they want to take a good movie and not create a quality attraction. It a shame on two different points.

WDW1974

Original Poster

Yes, clearly you have no clue whatsoever. You just want a drop ride. Who cares about buildup? Elaborate theming? Story? Sense of place?

Just slap a new IP on it and you be good, right?

Hey, MK's Pirates ride really sucks so why don't we turn it into a different boat ride? Maybe one with a Zootopia or Jungle Book overlay?

How about Splash Mountain? Themed to a film Disney is afraid to acknowledge. One they've been hiding since 1986 (you likely weren't even alive then). Rip out the music and the AAs and change it to ... you pick the IP ... doesn't Marvel have some western crap that no one cares about? Let's use that.

Anyone who supports this really just doesn't get the design process whatsoever.

Longhairbear

I hate this idea, beyond usable words here.

TP2000

I hate this idea, beyond usable words here.

And you're even a Southern Californian. This plan is obviously being hatched in SoCal; Glendale/WDI and Anaheim/TDA. My only defense of it is that it's a plan framed within the reference of DCA's inferior 2.0 version of the ride.

I assume this idea isn't being shepherded to a greenlight by people who understand the reverence East Coasters have for WDW's 1.0 version of the ride.

Longhairbear

I didn't get to a Disney theme park until I was an adult. I'm old enough to know the theming of TOT. I enjoyed the TV show in reruns. pre video rentals. You do yourself a disservice to not do some research and find out what the show was about. You just might like TOT even better. When I first visited Disney theme parks, I did all the research I could after seeing the various attractions, and the IP they were based on. That means watching Dumbo, Snow White, Cinderella, Song Of The South, Pinocchio, and countless other references to films in Disney's IP that I had not seen in years, or never seen. The Keel boats were still around then, and I found the Disney movie that had them in it. I've watched the Disney programming that inspired The Matterhorn, not to mention the original Mousketeers, and all of Annette's Disney moments. That knowledge helped me get the joke in the Muppets queue.
How can one not marvel ( a swear word to me btw) at Tinkerbell flying over the fireworks, knowing her storyline, and TV appearance in the opening credits of the Disneyland show, and just how much Disney can recreate those scenes in person. You may classify me as a geek, and I will tell you why. My husband and I have a couple of classic cars. One is a 1964 Ford Thunderbird. If you know your Disney history, as I do, you'll get the connection when I tell you riding the train at Disneyland is one of my favorite experiences.

Longhairbear

And you're even a Southern Californian. This plan is obviously being hatched in SoCal; Glendale/WDI and Anaheim/TDA. My only defense of it is that it's a plan framed within the reference of DCA's inferior 2.0 version of the ride.

I assume this idea isn't being shepherded to a greenlight by people who understand the reverence East Coasters have for WDW's 1.0 version of the ride.
I'm originally from the East coast, and saw WDW before I got to DLR. Also I experienced TOT when it first opened in FLA. I don't see the west coast version as lacking in reverence by West Coasters, but a lack of reverence by WDI.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom