Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

SirLink

If TDO says no though, Burbank could just override/force it anyway right? Which unfortunately is probably what will happen.

Right now TDO hasn't had for a few years any say in whether attractions are built in the swamps that is Burbank's discretion. I fully expect this Collectors tower idea to be purely for DCA. The Tower is popular in both DLPR and WDW as it is. P&R were scared about Universal's lawyers reaction when Disney wanted Peter Quil to show up at that Dance Party. Remember they couldn't do a regular M&G at the party and if memory serves me right it was photos only no autographs.

So Disney wouldn't dare dream to tempt fate and try to do a GOTG ride ... in the swamps.

DoTheImpossible

I do think a RnRC overlay would be better. However, I keep thinking about how excited we would all be if GotG were getting a stand alone, novel attraction. We'd all be conjecturing about ride layout, tech used, desperately wondering if blue prints were going to be leaked, and drooling over perspective concept art. Instead, we're just discussing the myriad ways this concept sets a new bar for stupidity.

Oh I'm with you 100%. What a world that would be, right? I'm simply trying to make cake out of crap.

RSoxNo1

Perhaps in this case it's the rare perfection of IP, story, setting, building, ride system and execution all coming together perfectly to greater than the sum of its parts. Much like Splash Mountain.

But remove one cog of the machine and the other parts can't make up for it.
So many times when an intellectual property is used in an attraction it's the focal point. When it's the focal point that focus shifts into trying to put you into that world. That's the typical Universal approach. Often times it works, but not always. More importantly though when you make the intellectual property the focus point of the attraction you are transferring from one medium to another (typically film/television to an attraction/physical environment). Again, that doesn't always work.

Part of the reason why the Twillight Zone Tower of Terror works as an attraction is because it's inspired by the intellectual property, it's not driven by it. It's using layers of story inspired by the Twilight Zone to tell an entirely new story in a new medium. It's one of the biggest complaints about Little Mermaid, that's simply a book report where we're inserted in the middle of it. Comparitively, Splash Mountain isn't a true book report, it has many elements of Song of the South, but it is more inspired by the story.

It's part of the reason why I'm somewhat optimistic about the ride itself for Frozen Ever After, it doesn't seem like the ride will be a book report. The thematic fit aside, it sounds like the ride will be telling a different story using characters we're familiar with. It's not truly the same thing as Tower of Terror, but it's better than a book report.

For Guardians in Tower of Terror we're all looking for a story straight out of the movie we all know. It's the same thing we do with Avatar or anything else we have yet to actually experience. I think a Guardians of the Galaxy overlay to Tower of Terror could very well be a good attraction, but we already have a good attraction that wasn't broken. It's a classic and doesn't need to be replaced. It would be the biggest attraction replacement in the history of Walt Disney World.

Mike S

So many times when an intellectual property is used in an attraction it's the focal point. When it's the focal point that focus shifts into trying to put you into that world. That's the typical Universal approach. Often times it works, but not always. More importantly though when you make the intellectual property the focus point of the attraction you are transferring from one medium to another (typically film/television to an attraction/physical environment). Again, that doesn't always work.

Part of the reason why the Twillight Zone Tower of Terror works as an attraction is because it's inspired by the intellectual property, it's not driven by it. It's using layers of story inspired by the Twilight Zone to tell an entirely new story in a new medium. It's one of the biggest complaints about Little Mermaid, that's simply a book report where we're inserted in the middle of it. Comparitively, Splash Mountain isn't a true book report, it has many elements of Song of the South, but it is more inspired by the story.

It's part of the reason why I'm somewhat optimistic about the ride itself for Frozen Ever After, it doesn't seem like the ride will be a book report. The thematic fit aside, it sounds like the ride will be telling a different story using characters we're familiar with. It's not truly the same thing as Tower of Terror, but it's better than a book report.

For Guardians in Tower of Terror we're all looking for a story straight out of the movie we all know. It's the same thing we do with Avatar or anything else we have yet to actually experience. I think a Guardians of the Galaxy overlay to Tower of Terror could very well be a good attraction, but we already have a good attraction that wasn't broken. It's a classic and doesn't need to be replaced. It would be the biggest attraction replacement in the history of Walt Disney World.
The only kind of book report ride at Universal I can think of is Gringotts due to the fact it's based on a specific event from the 7th book even if somewhat changed to include us guests and Voldemort. Everything else seems to be exactly what you said about a new story in a new medium.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Well said. The IP is not the focus of the attraction but it blends seamlessly with the story of the ride.

I also agree that you could probably have a pretty decent GoTG ride using the ToT show building, but not if its still a hotel. In order to make a GoTG story fit properly into that building the building can't be a 1930s era Hollywood hotel anymore. Maybe it's a prison or some other building that would fit with the GoTG world. Then you need to either redo the entire Sunset Blvd section or try to explain why an "alien prison" is at the end of a street on Sunset Blvd in 1930s Hollywood. To do that right it goes from a cheap and quick overlay to an expensive and time consuming overhaul of another section of this park that doesn't need an overhaul. If they want GoTG in DHS why not use part of the construction zone phases 3 or 4 to build something new or replace a scene in Great Movie ride?

You also make a good point that this would be the biggest replacement in the history of WDW. ToT is now the icon of DHS. The symbol of the whole park. It's also the biggest headliner in the park. You would be replacing a top 3 attraction. It's never happened before.

SCOTLORR

First of all... WOW. It would be a travesty to replace ToT with a theme to guardians of the galaxy. Second, I just saw this thread and only read one page, and was wondering if anyone can outline anything I missed. Any new news, or just complaints (Understandable)?

hopemax

The only kind of book report ride at Universal I can think of is Gringotts due to the fact it's based on a specific event from the 7th book even if somewhat changed to include us guests and Voldemort. Everything else seems to be exactly what you said about a new story in a new medium.

Cat in the Hat. Less "report" more "actual book." As is most of Seuss Landing.

Matt_Black

Well said. The IP is not the focus of the attraction but it blends seamlessly with the story of the ride.

I also agree that you could probably have a pretty decent GoTG ride using the ToT show building, but not if its still a hotel. In order to make a GoTG story fit properly into that building the building can't be a 1930s era Hollywood hotel anymore. Maybe it's a prison or some other building that would fit with the GoTG world. Then you need to either redo the entire Sunset Blvd section or try to explain why an "alien prison" is at the end of a street on Sunset Blvd in 1930s Hollywood.

No prize answer- one of the "cosmic" entities, like the Grandmaster or the Beyonder, just thinks a 1930s hotel would be a neat challenge for the Guardians. Heck, if Star Trek can have a planet that never encountered Earth and yet STILL looks like an old gangster movie....

Matt_Black

that would impact IOA right?

Not so much, because WDW is bound by the contractual obligations Marvel signed with Uni. Someone else can (and no doubt will) explain it in more detail, but there are certain characters Disney can in no way use in any park. The Guardians of the Galaxy, however, do not appear to fall into that category, which would make sense, as they weren't even a thing yet when the deal was signed.

DarthMileZ

Not so much, because WDW is bound by the contractual obligations Marvel signed with Uni. Someone else can (and no doubt will) explain it in more detail, but there are certain characters Disney can in no way use in any park. The Guardians of the Galaxy, however, do not appear to fall into that category, which would make sense, as they weren't even a thing yet when the deal was signed.

would have thought Disney would override this when they bought the rights, but fair enough. Guardians isn't really enough to build on in my opinion, it wasn't as successful as avengers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom