Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Tony the Tigger

We've had the Haunted Mansion for more than four decades. Does that call for us to change the storyline? Pirates? Small World? The licensing fee is pittance in cost in grand scheme of their expenses and the Twilight Zone concept simply works. It might be an intellectual property of the past, but that's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned because it's such an wonderfully integrated attraction. Does everything have to be a licensed property that Bob Iger has gotten the board to approve during his tenure?

Phase one of the past decade and a half has been to have the Pixar characters supplant Disney characters and now we're cramming in Lucasfilm and Marvel to the full hilt. I'm all for progress and using properties where they work, but my goodness, it's borderlines on a cluster...... Tomorrowland filled with Pixar, now the Studios with Pixar, don't forget your obligatory amount at Epcot, followed by the Star Wars Studios, and the shoehorning of Marvel in any way, shape, or form they can barely muster due to the legal agreement with Universal. It's pathetic.

I used to be saddened by the naysayers that saw Disney as nothing more than the example of America's phony consumerism and corporate shilling beyond comparison. When I see what the company has turned the parks into, I think that many of those people were onto something.

I agree. I'm afraid they are losing the plot.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You know when you can finally say you've arrived? When Disney food bloggers (oh yes, they exist) in the Twitverse are so busy taking shots at you (because they can't handle the truth) that they just have no time to write about the fact that Disney is making major cuts in quality and size of items/portions at WDW AND raising prices.

My guess is if you do that than Dr. Blondie, my favorite Cupcake, won't be comping $600 meals at Citricos or the California Grill.

When even my 'wittle buddy Andy Castro has to admit that yeah, this tale has legs, and he can't stand me for reasons I don't quite get as I have given him nothing but hot online luvin (if I find out the EPCOT Explorer dissed me, he'll be pulling Orange Birds out of his orifices!), it should give pause.

This is my last post defending the NEWS (not a rumor whether it happens or not as it is the PLAN now!) ...because I'd rather spend my limited time here talking Shanghai, or Disney's film strategy or hey ... what if I told you that Disney has allowed TEA to undercount DLR attendance since the DCA relaunch and to undercount significantly ... as in millions? Ah, a tale for later. Besides, we all know that WDW is the most popular and bestest Disney resort in the world and that TDL and DL could never possibly best it. Of course, by Year Two of Shanghai Disneyland, the Chinese Communist Party will be dictating just how popular and attended both DL and WDW are ... again, way to go Bob. You are in control.

Rescue Ranger

I know I'm in the minority, but I didn't enjoy a second of GOTG and I refuse to believe this to be real. This would be horrendous. Horrific. Would be a travesty. This is one of the greatest and most well themed attractions on property to which I have the utmost affinity for. This doesn't even make sense.

This is one of the few attractions that still has it's own tailored merchandise. Plus, what about this: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Tower-Terror-Getting-Its-Own-Horror-Movie-Because-Course-90277.html

No way. Removing the Twilight Zone elements? I'd prefer not but really I guess if they came up with a similar original story so Disney can lose the CBS connection(do they pay CBS for any of this attraction?) like with the first movie, it would still work. If the new movie is a hit, it's almost certain to be re-themed to that I'd imagine. But to completely butcher ToT does not seem believable, even with some questionable decisions they have made.

Like with Maelstrom, enough is enough with taking away. Despite Frozen being inspired by Norway, replacing Maelstrom with it was the wrong thing to do IMO. Sometimes re-theming works. Such as if they re-themed the Speedway to Cars. Adding new attractions? Sure! Enhancing, sure. Taking away attractions many seem to dislike, say Stitch for example which I actually think could be used for a GOTG attraction of some sort , sure. Even Snow White being removed I could understand with Mine Tran being added. This however, no. Just no.

TeriofTerror

You know when you can finally say you've arrived? When Disney food bloggers (oh yes, they exist) in the Twitverse are so busy taking shots at you (because they can't handle the truth) that they just have no time to write about the fact that Disney is making major cuts in quality and size of items/portions at WDW AND raising prices.

My guess is if you do that than Dr. Blondie, my favorite Cupcake, won't be comping $600 meals at Citricos or the California Grill.

When even my 'wittle buddy Andy Castro has to admit that yeah, this tale has legs, and he can't stand me for reasons I don't quite get as I have given him nothing but hot online luvin (if I find out the EPCOT Explorer dissed me, he'll be pulling Orange Birds out of his orifices!), it should give pause.

This is my last post defending the NEWS (not a rumor whether it happens or not as it is the PLAN now!) ...because I'd rather spend my limited time here talking Shanghai, or Disney's film strategy or hey ... what if I told you that Disney has allowed TEA to undercount DLR attendance since the DCA relaunch and to undercount significantly ... as in millions? Ah, a tale for later. Besides, we all know that WDW is the most popular and bestest Disney resort in the world and that TDL and DL could never possibly best it. Of course, by Year Two of Shanghai Disneyland, the Chinese Communist Party will be dictating just how popular and attended both DL and WDW are ... again, way to go Bob. You are in control.
As is so often true with your posts, my "like" is actually my way of saying, "I absolutely hate the news you just imparted, but I'm grateful to you for keeping us in the loop and I admire your willingness to speak your piece." (It's killing me to not expound here with a snide political comment, but out of respect for The Mom I shall refrain from doing so.)

Mike S

I just realized that if this comes to pass we will have come full circle. 1994 saw the opening of one of the most ambitious attractions created by Disney up until and since then. It also saw the first big closure for the Walt Disney World Resort with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It's been a long time coming and it's been one hell of a ride.

Mike S

You gave it a name...:confused::hungover::eek::mad:
And a poster on Orlando United gave it concept art.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

TeriofTerror

I just realized that if this comes to pass we will have come full circle. 1994 saw the opening of one of the most ambitious attractions created by Disney up until and since then. It also saw the first big closure for the Walt Disney World Resort with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It's been a long time coming and it's been one hell of a ride.
Mike, honey, I love you more than my luggage, but I'm going to have another of those "Pinot Noir Honesty" moments for which people hate me: I was disappointed by 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (the ride, not the movie). I finally rode it after years of my mother refusing to let us waste a ticket on it. After the tickets were abolished, I waited in line for over an hour just to have to admit that my mother was right. That was the worst part of all! :)

Rescue Ranger

I think Zootopia could be placed inside a re-themed RNRC. Aerowsmith can only last so much longer in the attraction, I'd suspect. Switch out Aerosmith for Gazelle.

Guardians I'd put inside the Stitch space. Or the Eo space. Stitch I'd give a small little themed area, like Tangled, that has a counter service/snack bar and meet and greet with Stitch, Angel and Lilo.

Last edited:

Mike S

Mike, honey, I love you more than my luggage, but I'm going to have another of those "Pinot Noir Honesty" moments for which people hate me: I was disappointed by 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (the ride, not the movie). I finally rode it after years of my mother refusing to let us waste a ticket on it. After the tickets were abolished, I waited in line for over an hour just to have to admit that my mother was right. That was the worst part of all! :)
Well, I've only seen it in video form and never experienced it myself. I've only ridden the Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland and enjoyed it very much.

EPCOTCenterLover

"The blessing of size" is no longer relevant. Even if they have the physical space to build ten theme parks, they never will and never should grow much beyond what they current offer. Future "new" things will mostly be replacements and improvements to old things. Most American families can only vacation for one week at a time so it makes no sense for them to build more than you can experience in a week (give or take).

Again, I'm not defending this idea. I just don't think the "blessing of size" is a relevant criticism.
Im just saying they have land to build new attractions without having to redo them with a new theme. It's part of what makes DL great- numerous attractions to fill a whole day without the place feeling mobbed with people.

BrianLo

This is absolutely dumber than those things. Those were done as promotions and left in place due to laziness. This is a conscious choice to permanently change something.

This is also being done as a temporary promotion (in DHS). But the worry, definitely earned, is that it will become semi-permenant.

hopemax

Well, I've only seen it in video form and never experienced it myself. I've only ridden the Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland and enjoyed it very much.

I never got to see 20K either, first WDW trip was 1995. But last summer, I rode DL Subs for the first time since 1995. I wanted to cry. Yes, it's silly and cheesy but quintessentially Disney. I had my nose pushed against the glass so hard. When they got shut down, I wasn't a big Sub fan because the line took forever so I wasn't as bothered by it as other things. So I was surprised by how emotional I felt. It wasn't just a ride, but an experience you would only find at Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom