Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

TeriofTerror

I bet UNI is loving hearing this... nothing like seeing your competition shoot itself in the foot.

Maybe they'll rename the park Bob Igers Egoland!
I was listening to the latest episode of "Dan Carlin's Hardcore History" today, and he was talking about how absolute power corrupts absolutely, and how it could be a cumulative thing -- the longer you have absolute power, the crazier you become. Maybe Disney CEOs should have hard term limits? After all, I'm sure most everyone agrees that Eisner started out absolutely fantastic, and Iger... well, his estimation of his own worth does seem to have escalated a wee bit, IMHO.

Animaniac93-98

Gotta put an end to this before it gets momentum

Agreed. IMO the best thing to do would be to tell Disney, not just how much you like ToT, but that it's central to your enjoyment of DHS and that closing it for any prolonged period of time would stop you from going to the park altogether. That would tap into and highten the one fear (besides paying for it) that TDO has about this project. I'm not one to normally discourage closing attractions for minor reworks or refurbs, but this time it may save a ride from a horrible makeover.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
While I have your attention, grab your Friday's Chinese Chicken Salad leftovers and let's talk some Shanghai.

First, how it affects parks stateside. Soarin Over the World will, as I have said before but is now confirmed, debut at EPCOT and DCA on June17th, almost a day after SDL opens with it as a unique attraction. Take this to the bank as done @wdwmagic.

The budget cuts continue at WDW (and DL) to make up for the overspending that is happening in China. Chefs are being told to buy cheaper ingredients and plate the food differently so smaller portions can be served, all while prices rise (and not one Lifestyler/Tweeter/Blogger or Podcaster will rip them for it). You could serve these people a pile of cow pooh on a plate and so long as it was from Disney, they'd eat it and tell you how tasty it was.

BTW, while there were a few reasons for not having a 24-hour day at the parks to usher in Olaf's favorite season, the biggest reason why an event planned to be annual one won't be happening is budget cuts due to Shanghai.

The latest word from my folks on the ground there is that it's still a total mess. The word now is that on opening day less than 50% of exterior paint will be completed. You read that right. Many facades and structures will simply have a basic and detail-free paint job slapped on until the real WDI finishes can be applied through the end of calendar 2016. It really is THAT bad.

From a friend in the know:

"The American parks have been asked to cut labor and expenses by double digit percentages in order to help pad the bottom line of the Parks & Resorts division while Shanghai slurps up huge amounts of labor, captial and free cash flow to get the park open on time and without too much embarassment. [WDW and DLR] are now directly subsidizing the Chinese Communist Party to get the Shanghai property barely able to open on time by June. Can you imagine what the vehemently anti-Communist and pro-American Walt would have thought of that?"

My response would be "Walt Who?" Disney doesn't care. Iger doesn't care. Staggs doesn't care. Chappie doesn't care. Georgie doesn't care. Dr. Blondie doesn't care. So *** should anyone else, right?

And even with all this added capital (anyone still asking where that $800 million went ... beyond out and out graft?) and labor, WDI and Bob are in a panic because major attractions simply are so far behind being ready for June that some people on-site have gone to saying "June of what year?" They recently ordered a batch of senior Imagineers, headlined by Tom Morris, over to SDL to add oversight and do ''whatever they can" to get the park ready to go. A few balked and were given the Eddie Sotto treatment, as in "You can go or you can resign, but you can't stay."

Some day a book is going to be written on this project ... and I don't mean a Disney coffee table one either.

Speaking of China, as I am wont to do, no one seemed to notice that Andrew Kam resigned recently as Managing Director of HKDL and was replaced by Sam Lau. Yes, that one. Do you think there are two of them? Kam had been the SAR face of the resort and a big outward fan of it. Lau was born there and has a Chinese face and has experience working in exec positions where he got to do nothing.

Finally, one last shot at WDW management: you expect people to book lunches six months ahead of time and attractions 60 days out, yet you are opening a brand new show at DAK, which people will need to reserve, and you refuse to provide operating hours or showtimes one month out. Yup, stay classy WDW.

Not to mention not building audience capacity, i.e. sufficient seats in the stands, to handle demand. Fantastic! has a capacity of 6,900 but Rivers of Light only 5,000. Can you imagine trying to get a seat during peak holiday time?

wdwgreek

No.
It originated as a (moronic) concept to get Marvel into DCA quickly and cheaply.
But, as we've learned before, it's cheaper when costs can be split.

What remains to be seen is whether or not the DHS version is being eyed for a seasonal overlay or a full-on retheming.
Thank you for sifting that down to a brief overview. Between the outrage, panic, and trolls its hard to sift through the nonsense to pull out the full picture!

Phil12

Oh, just stop.
There's no need for trolling posts like that. All they do is make posters turn their attacks toward you rather than keeping the vitriol directed right where it actually belongs.
Your likes or dislikes are no better than mine. I reiterate, I like the idea. There is no need to be vitriolic to anyone.

RSoxNo1

This sounds like a great idea. After all, the ToT is nothing more than a bunch of accelerated drops. They can theme that to most anything including any number of Marvel things. They need to leave the "old Hollywood" themes to the major studios of that era. The Disney studio was a small independent studio at that time.

Aside from Groot and his pals, DHS could theme the ToT around Woody:

Why haven't you been banned yet?

mickEblu

This sounds like a great idea. After all, the ToT is nothing more than a bunch of accelerated drops. They can theme that to most anything including any number of Marvel things. They need to leave the "old Hollywood" themes to the major studios of that era. The Disney studio was a small independent studio at that time.

Aside from Groot and his pals, DHS could theme the ToT around Woody:

I don't understand this reasoning. So Disney should only include things in the parks that Walt Disney and/ or the company was around for? So I guess Frontierland and pirates have to go.

janoimagine

I posted a poll to Twitter... someone it has 17% support
https://twitter.com/WDWThemeParks/status/711364529968513024
That could be a way to stop this before it gets out of the boardroom. Blast them on Twitter and any other social outlet. If enough people go after them they might actually listen and put their money elsewhere ... like maybe a talent coach for Dr. Jen Baker, so her on screen appearances don't come across so ... stiff and robotic. A PHD in Social Media? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom