Marvel comes to Disney Springs

djkidkaz

Original Poster
So there was continued speculation that they couldn't use the name Marvel anywhere at Disney, just the characters. Hence the reason the shop on West Side was just called Super Hero Headquarters. Well it appears that wasn't accurate or something changed contractually because the shop now sports the Marvel logo!
IMG_3372.JPG

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So there was continued speculation that they couldn't use the name Marvel anywhere at Disney, just the characters. Hence the reason the shop on West Side was just called Super Hero Headquarters. Well it appears that wasn't accurate or something changed contractually because the shop now sports the Marvel logo!
View attachment 166246

I would say something must have changed, otherwise why not do this when the stored opened over a year ago.

jt04

View attachment 166246

Clearly that meme was inaccurate. Started and propagated by the usual suspects.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Clearly that meme was inaccurate. Started and propagated by the usual suspects.

It wasn't a meme, anyone can read the contract and see that there are restrictions on the use of the Marvel name. If this was all made up, why did the store operate for over a year without the Marvel name? just because things don't fit your narrow world view, doesn't make them part of some grand conspiracy.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Well there were rumors of discussions with Uni/Comcast. Maybe they were accurate. Wonder what Comcast gets? Disney pays for XFINITY for all Disney resort guests?

Yeah, that's the interesting question, they must have gotten something out of the deal. I am waiting for the reactions to come in over at Orlando United. It will also be interesting to see if they change any of the theming inside the store because right now it is very generic and focused mostly on Shield.

WhatJaneSays

I do know that there had been some negotiations about 4 years ago that little came out of except the agreement that road shows like Marvel Universe Live could travel to the excluded area around Universal and use the Marvel logo inside that area as well. There were some other agreements in there that Disney could have benefited form or gotten closer to "the line" with but almost nothing was done with them at that time. There had been rumors nearly a year ago on the Marvel corporate side that there may have been some other compromises made between them and Comcast/Universal about logo use and brand promotion; along with rumors of Disney attempting to re-negotiate some things of their own.

This coinciding with the beginning of a fiscal year indicates that maybe there had been some successful talks at that time but they had to wait for any new agreement to go into effect. You could also layer in their auditions for Doctor Strange, which is estimated to be part of in park entertainment. While they had gotten away with the GotG folks at a special event I feel they suck that in with the loopholes from the road show agreements. Actual day-to-day in park M&Gs or entertainment is a different legal beast.

RSoxNo1

View attachment 166246
This photo was taken 9/20. The Marvel addition is very new and very suspicious considering the recent Dr. Strange news. There's way too much smoke here...
IMG_8899.JPG

wdwfan4ver

This coinciding with the beginning of a fiscal year indicates that maybe there had been some successful talks at that time but they had to wait for any new agreement to go into effect. You could also layer in their auditions for Doctor Strange, which is estimated to be part of in park entertainment. While they had gotten away with the GotG folks at a special event I feel they suck that in with the loopholes from the road show agreements. Actual day-to-day in park M&Gs or entertainment is a different legal beast.
I don't buy that for GOTG at all or Doctor Strange. GOTG had a movie preview in DHS in 2014 besides the meet and greet for one night. If an IP is able to do a movie preview in a theme park, it also means it could do a meet and greet.

The movie preview showed Disney could use GOTG in the park because Marvel movie previews didn't happen for Captain America, Iron Man, the Avengers, Thor, and Ant Man inside a WDW theme park . Disney is only allowing marvel movie previews to be shown at WDW if that movie IP is allowed to under the contract.

Also Baymax is currently a day to day Meet and Greet in Epcot over a year and he's a Marvel Character for Big Hero 6. Hiro was a meet and greet at DHS from November of 2014 to the later part of 2015 My point is Disney could do do Marvel Meet and Greets well over a year ago depending on what Marvel IPs are allowed in the parks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
View attachment 166246

probably because its in a shopping mall... not a theme park?

doctornick

The monorail wraps also lacked the Marvel logo. So have the various film previews on both coasts and even the Disneyland meet and greets.

Anything appearing inside a theme park in the US would be prevented form using the Marvel name as per the contract between Marvel and Uni. So, it makes perfect sense that any film preview in the parks or M&G would not use "Marvel". If the monorail in DLR had a wrap for an MCUJ film in use, it would also not be able to use the Marvel name as it enters a theme park.

A monorail wrap on the MK loop or anything in DS should be able to use Marvel branding as far as I can tell from the contract, so I'm surprised this took so long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom