Marvel’s Avengers Campus won’t debut with Disney California Adventure reopening - OCR/SCNG

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
>>Disney California Adventure visitors will have to wait even longer for the debut of Avengers Campus that promises to feature Spider-Man swinging across the sky, Captain America leaping from rooftops and Doctor Strange conjuring up magic spells.

Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced during the company’s annual shareholders meeting that Avengers Campus would debut later in 2021 after Disney California Adventure reopens in late April.

“At Disneyland Resort, the highly anticipated new Marvel-themed land Avengers Campus is currently scheduled to open later this year at Disney California Adventure,” Chapek said. “Guests will be able to sling webs like Spider-Man and see him soar through the air right before their eyes.”

Disneyland initially set a July 18 opening date for Avengers Campus just a few days before closing the Anaheim theme parks in mid-March as the COVID-19 pandemic first threatened the United States.<<

milordsloth

>>Disney California Adventure visitors will have to wait even longer for the debut of Avengers Campus that promises to feature Spider-Man swinging across the sky, Captain America leaping from rooftops and Doctor Strange conjuring up magic spells.

Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced during the company’s annual shareholders meeting that Avengers Campus would debut later in 2021 after Disney California Adventure reopens in late April.

“At Disneyland Resort, the highly anticipated new Marvel-themed land Avengers Campus is currently scheduled to open later this year at Disney California Adventure,” Chapek said. “Guests will be able to sling webs like Spider-Man and see him soar through the air right before their eyes.”

Disneyland initially set a July 18 opening date for Avengers Campus just a few days before closing the Anaheim theme parks in mid-March as the COVID-19 pandemic first threatened the United States.<<

The article is behind a paywall for me. So does this mean that we won't even be able to walk around the new land? I can understand the ride being delayed, but I was under the impression the land was pretty much complete months ago.

britain

It's done. They just want to save the attendance for a time when it matters. I mentioned this months ago.

They’re using May and June to work the kinks out resort-wide while also waiting for the number of immune guests to increase.

fctiger

Things like this is literally why we're not bothering to go until the summer. My guess is not everything will be running 100% the first month or two. Or at least until capacity gets higher than 15%. That is not a big enough of a crowd to debut their shiny new land, so I can't blame them.

And I imagine it's going to be quite difficult to open the WEB ride since it's all inside and everyone is close to say the least.

MarvelCharacterNerd

Good.

I'm SUPER excited to see this land and wanna jump the fence every time I'm at DCA :D but I think waiting until more people can enjoy it to open it up makes sense.

Though hopefully they'll have the Marvel characters out and about as socially distanced as needed. They can pull out the Avengers truck again and do character cavalcades on that. And hopefully find a few other spots for characters to wave hello and pose for pics.

I assume Five & Dime's jalopy will be commandeered by Mickey and friends at DCA.

TP2000

Good.

I'm SUPER excited to see this land and wanna jump the fence every time I'm at DCA :D but I think waiting until more people can enjoy it to open it up makes sense.

Though hopefully they'll have the Marvel characters out and about as socially distanced as needed. They can pull out the Avengers truck again and do character cavalcades on that. And hopefully find a few other spots for characters to wave hello and pose for pics.

I assume Five & Dime's jalopy will be commandeered by Mickey and friends at DCA.

You know, I agree with you.

I don't know that I'd thought about it, as I'm not really a Marvel fan and am kind of "meh" on the whole thing.

But now that you put it that way, I agree with you. This land should wait until things are more normal, and they can open it up fully as the designers intended. I'm looking forward to that!

el_super

They’re using May and June to work the kinks out resort-wide while also waiting for the number of immune guests to increase.

Exactly... but it's not just that. It makes sense that, if you build a new attraction to attract guests to the park, that you have the capacity to actually accommodate those guests. Could you imagine Disney launching a campaign to convince people to come down and see the new Avengers Campus only to find out that reservations are already gone FOR MONTHS?

I think the prevailing wisdom here is that both Disneyland and DCA will be booked for a couple months out when they start taking reservations, with or without Avengers Campus. There's no point in opening it now, if it's not going to positively effect the attendance numbers.

So I think you're partially right. They will want to wait until they can increase to 25 or 35% capacity in order to open, since they can immediately fill that capacity at DCA by announcing the ride is opening. Could be summer or fall for opening.

Then again the other thought is that they feel the entertainment is such a vital part of the new experience, that they will want to wait until they get the OK to perform street shows and close-up character offerings before opening it, in order to avoid the negative reviews up front.

DrAlice

Exactly... but it's not just that. It makes sense that, if you build a new attraction to attract guests to the park, that you have the capacity to actually accommodate those guests. Could you imagine Disney launching a campaign to convince people to come down and see the new Avengers Campus only to find out that reservations are already gone FOR MONTHS?

I think the prevailing wisdom here is that both Disneyland and DCA will be booked for a couple months out when they start taking reservations, with or without Avengers Campus. There's no point in opening it now, if it's not going to positively effect the attendance numbers.

So I think you're partially right. They will want to wait until they can increase to 25 or 35% capacity in order to open, since they can immediately fill that capacity at DCA by announcing the ride is opening. Could be summer or fall for opening.

Then again the other thought is that they feel the entertainment is such a vital part of the new experience, that they will want to wait until they get the OK to perform street shows and close-up character offerings before opening it, in order to avoid the negative reviews up front.
Same logic they are using in Florida with Ratatouille.

DrAlice

This reminds me. I need to check out Gilroy Gardens. Someone posted something the other day and it looked quite charming. Might have to add it as a stop on a road trip.
Gilroy Gardens is awesome. Especially for families with small children.

And... it has a people mover! :D
1615423365555.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom