Marketplace Causeway construction

roj2323

I'm surprised to see they are using sheet pilings to construct this. I would have thought they would use concrete pilings and float the entire thing over the water.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'm surprised to see they are using sheet pilings to construct this. I would have thought they would use concrete pilings and float the entire thing over the water.
I just checked the latest permit filed with the South Florida Water Management District:

"The proposed Causeway bridge construction method has changed so that the abutments will be created out of fill behind sheet pile instead of on piles"

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

sorry shorthand, that last time i went down the sassagula, there were sections of sheet pile that were damaged/removed and the ground around was subsiding, i would think that is less safe than concrete pylons...

roj2323

sorry shorthand, that last time i went down the sassagula, there were sections of sheet pile that were damaged/removed and the ground around was subsiding, i would think that is less safe than concrete pylons...

To be fair the pilings in this particular situation will be capped with reenforced concrete. and then further tied together with the walkway. I don't foresee any long term issues with the method of construction it just puzzled me as it is a more expensive option.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
To be fair the pilings in this particular situation will be capped with reenforced concrete. and then further tied together with the walkway. I don't foresee any long term issues with the method of construction it just puzzled me as it is a more expensive option.

Wonder why the decided to change the method of construction.

dstrawn9889

have some soil or concrete rubble to dispose of? would be cheaper to toss it behind sheet pile than truck it offsite and pay...

roj2323

Wonder why the decided to change the method of construction.

the main reason is it gives them more options. Having a more permeant base will allow them to put a structure on top if they wish and run the necessary plumbing/ electrical without excessive hassles from permit departments. Having the more substantial base is also safer in the event a boat or other vessel inadvertently hits the causeway.

vonpluto

the main reason is it gives them more options. Having a more permeant base will allow them to put a structure on top if they wish and run the necessary plumbing/ electrical without excessive hassles from permit departments. Having the more substantial base is also safer in the event a boat or other vessel inadvertently hits the causeway.

The permit states only the abutments will be sheet piled and filled, indicating that the causeway will still be on piles and open beneath.

RJB

So will they still have the little marina on the other side of the causeway? Or did they take that out?

Rob562

So will they still have the little marina on the other side of the causeway? Or did they take that out?

The marina is gone and I don't think there are plans for it to return in its previous form.

However, some concept art of the Boathouse restaurant showed amphibious cars cruising around in the water, so it appear there will be *something* coming back...

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom