Trip Report March 2021 3 day trip

Never done one of these, but I thought I'd report back what I saw this past weekend. Many of this you probably already know, but here's my full report as best as I remember.
- The parks were CROWDED! If there is such a thing as capacity or limiting it, I sure didn't notice. Monday (March 8) at Hollywood Studios was about as crowded as I've ever seen it, except maybe Thanksgiving break. It was like a regular spring break crowd.
- Masks are required everywhere and cast members often remind people to wear the masks properly. The P.A. system regularly reminds you as well and even threatens removal from the park if you refuse. The one exception to this is while eating or drinking in one spot (i.e. restaurant table).
- Your temperature is checked before you even get to security, so there are 3 checkpoints to enter the park - temperature scan, security, then ticket or magic band scan.
- Security is streamlined and quicker. They are relying more on metal detectors. Bags are searched less frequently.
- Most, if not all rides are open unless they are down for maintenance or refurbishment. Peoplemover is still not open.
- Some pre-show experiences are canceled. For example, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster does not show the band in the studio with the manager ordering the super-strech limo. That room is more orderly now though. Instead of the mass cram for the door, you wait on your social distance indicator marked on the floor. The interactivity in the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train queue is turned off. No pre-show on Runaway Railway.
- Very few shows are open and no fireworks. Nothing to encourage congregating of mass crowds, although the walkways were very crowded. The hub was busy. Fantasyland was crowded. All the typical bottlenecks were stuffed with people like before Covid.
- Character meet & greet is very different. You don't get as much of a personal experience, although I'll say the characters still do a great job of interacting with you from a distance. Characters might appear from behind a fence or on a balcony and wave. We had many characters look straight at us and wave or interact for a good amount of time.
- Buffet dining is different. At Chef Mickey's, our food was brought to us family style. We were still very satisfied with the food that was brought to us and we came away happy and a few pounds heavier. You can request more of something you like.
- Lines are long, but move quickly. The line to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train snaked through the queue and around the ride to the other side near Ariel's grotto when we rode. The line for Expedition Everest goes to the Nemo musical building. The lines for Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror go into the Fantasmic theater queue. It looks ominous, but it's not nearly as bad as it seems. The lines are expanded due to social distancing. A cast member is usually standing at the end of a long queue with a marker to show what line it is. There were lines to get into some shops, like the Emporium.
- We noticed the absence of Fast Pass. I missed it. I think I rode fewer rides than I normally would have without it. However, standby queues seemed to move at a fairly steady rate. There were a few people that were allowed to go through the Fast Pass line and scan. Those seemed to be a special few that either paid for a special experience or were compensated in some way (ride down or something like that).
- Strollers, scooters, and people that stop in the the middle of a congested walkway are still there! :)

- All in all, it was still a good trip. We had a lot of fun. It's noticeably different and for understandable reasons. If you're on the edge about going or not going, don't let the mask keep you from going. It's not comfortable, but it's necessary and required. You get used to it. If you don't like crowds, well just don't go to Disney. :D

mpaulam

In the Parks
No
Your temperature is checked before you even get to security, so there are 3 checkpoints to enter the park - temperature scan, security, then ticket or magic band scan.
- Security is streamlined and quicker. They are relying more on metal detectors. Bags are searched less frequently.
Can I tell you how much I loved this?? Temp check was a distance away from security, which was just a walk-through. And that was a distance from entrance. We walked right through the 3 things seamlessly both days :)

macefamily

Hey, we were down there around that time too. Arrived Tuesday, 3/9 and departed Saturday, 3/13. You made some good observations. Another thing I noticed is that our ADR's were all late. We checked in for lunch or dinner, and we waited at least 20 minutes. I guess with the limited seating it's tougher to gauge availability.

JustAFan

Original Poster
Hey, we were down there around that time too. Arrived Tuesday, 3/9 and departed Saturday, 3/13. You made some good observations. Another thing I noticed is that our ADR's were all late. We checked in for lunch or dinner, and we waited at least 20 minutes. I guess with the limited seating it's tougher to gauge availability.
Sorry about bumping into you! :D

That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that. We arrived at Cinderella's Royal Table 10 minutes before our reservation time and finally got in 20 minutes late. Other reservations ran behind as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom