Marathon Sunday nightmare

djdan888

Original Poster
Maybe i should have researched things a bit but me and my wife just had the wosrt yime we have ever had at WDW. We planned this trip specifically to watch the final rope drop. We were out on the first bus from the resort which normally takes 15 minutes to get to MK. It took an hour and a half and we missed rope drop. Went over to Epcot and lanes were blocked off left and right. We spent 30 minutes each way waiting to just cross the streets. We complained to guest services and got one Fast Pass. So just as a warning never ever ever come to the park on marathon day unless you are running. As a guest on this day you are second class.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Maybe i should have researched things a bit but me and my wife just had the wosrt yime we have ever had at WDW. We planned this trip specifically to watch the final rope drop. We were out on the first bus from the resort which normally takes 15 minutes to get to MK. It took an hour and a half and we missed rope drop. Went over to Epcot and lanes were blocked off left and right. We spent 30 minutes each way waiting to just cross the streets. We complained to guest services and got one Fast Pass. So just as a warning never ever ever come to the park on marathon day unless you are running. As a guest on this day you are second class.

Nothing wrong with Marathon weekends. We have been in the fall several times when they have them and you just plan accordingly. We never have had our time ruined due to the Marathons. Sorry that happened to you but to say that you are treated second class because of it is a stretch. ;)

MissViv

We were there for Wed. Thurs. Friday & Saturday and had no problems getting around but we stayed at the Contemporary to be close & not need to ride buses to Epcot or MK. We were there FOR the Marathon (two of our grown kids were running). It was very crowded but we had a fantastic time. The Sat. races were cancelled because of storms in the area. We had a MAGICAL time!!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Nothing wrong with Marathon weekends. We have been in the fall several times when they have them and you just plan accordingly. We never have had our time ruined due to the Marathons. Sorry that happened to you but to say that you are treated second class because of it is a stretch. ;)

We were there for Wed. Thurs. Friday & Saturday and had no problems getting around but we stayed at the Contemporary to be close & not need to ride buses to Epcot or MK. We were there FOR the Marathon (two of our grown kids were running). It was very crowded but we had a fantastic time. The Sat. races were cancelled because of storms in the area. We had a MAGICAL time!!

What does your personal experience have to do with the OP's?

He's saying he didn't realize the Marathon was Sunday, and it was an issue for him. His experience is just as valid as yours.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Well that is their fault for being willfully stupid. The WDW Marathon is well-advertised in advance and notices are placed across property alerting of any potential delays. It is no one's fault but their own they chose to not plan accordingly.

I'd wager that a large portion of guests had no clue it was marathon weekend. An even larger portion would have had no clue that it would impact them if they weren't racing. I get WDW takes planning. This isn't planning. This is a special event that if you're not interested in, you'd have no idea about.

thomas998

If you plan accordingly it shouldn't be an issue. There was no secret a Marathon was happening should of expected there to be delays tbh.
Actually I think the OP has a valid point, because Disney doesn't inform people of things that impact their trip which I find a bit of a nuisance when it is something that Disney puts on. How difficult would it be to have a warning pop up when you are making reservations for a trip that conflicts with one of their events that can cause problems.

My only question is why didn't they get more input from guest services after they realized the marathon was happening. I understand not knowing about it to begin with but after you know its happening I think I would have been asking guest services how to get around without being hampered by it.

SDisney90

Actually I think the OP has a valid point, because Disney doesn't inform people of things that impact their trip which I find a bit of a nuisance when it is something that Disney puts on. How difficult would it be to have a warning pop up when you are making reservations for a trip that conflicts with one of their events that can cause problems.

My only question is why didn't they get more input from guest services after they realized the marathon was happening. I understand not knowing about it to begin with but after you know its happening I think I would have been asking guest services how to get around without being hampered by it.
I go every January and usually during the races and every trip I've been on my resort has left me a pamphlet/message on the resort phone letting me know the marathon will affect commuting because of the sheer mass of it with all the information about the races. I've had to cancel a chef mickeys reservation that morning because of the race as well. They were very understanding and didn't charge me the fee for cancelling under 24 hours. But it was my own fault for not getting up earlier even though I knew it would be tough to get to during the world marathon.

MickeyMomV

We have never been on the WDW marathon weekend but have been there for Wine and Dine and to be honest we had no idea it was going on until it was over and we seen somebody with a bag. After that we have been down there for the Princess Marathon weekend, Tower of Terror 10 mile weekend, and Star Wars Dark Side weekend and ran in the 5-10k events and never had an issue with park traffic even on the 1/2 marathon days. I know the WDW Marathon started at 5:30am (the last corral should have been through by 6:15 at the latest) to minimize any inconvenience to park guests.
I know that at every entrance to the hotel they have menu boards telling you about the races (pick up time and schedules). Should they have done a better job at the front desk letting you know to adjust your schedule, maybe. Should they include something in the check-in paperwork, probably.

What I do know, as somebody who has ran in the events in and around the parks and resorts, it is absolutely AWESOME when random park guests stop to cheer you on and give you high fives as you run through. Instead of complaining about them, take a few minutes and cheer them on! These people are running anywhere from 6.2 miles to 26.2 miles and some of them are finishing up a 48.6 mile challenge, give them a little respect.

As for making rope drop, the OP never said when he left the hotel or what hotel he was at. If you staying Moderate it can take 15 minutes to get around the resort depending on your stop. With it being the last rope drop I would expect everybody wanting to be there and resort bus and park entry lines to be HUGE!! Typically if we need to be somewhere at a specific time we leave 1 to 1 1/2 hours before we need to be there. I know for dining reservations Disney recommends leaving 1 1/2 before your reservation time.

BalooChicago

We weren't significantly impacted this trip. A couple years ago we were running through the airport because the Magical Express bus was impacted.

This trip the only inconveniences were getting to Everest during the race (I was close to my FP expiring as the busing was slower, and then the paths were significantly narrowed) and the fact we weren't able to use Express Transportation to get to MK from AK on Sunday.

Susan Savia

We've been there many times over the years during the Marathon and have had no issues. Driving in from our offsite lodging and making our way through the parks had little to no impact on our day(s).

plutofan15

I am curious. What did you expect guest services to do for you? The marathon was not a secret and is well advertised. Perhaps a simple question the night before at your hotel would have solved your issue. "Excuse me. I understand that the marathon is tomorrow. What time would you suggest we leave so we can view the rope drop at Magic Kingdom?" Perhaps you did, if so then you certainly have a complaint. If not, failure on your part is not a problem for anyone else other than yourself. Very sorry you feel "second class" but failure to plan is a plan to fail.

raven

I am curious. What did you expect guest services to do for you? The marathon was not a secret and is well advertised. Perhaps a simple question the night before at your hotel would have solved your issue. "Excuse me. I understand that the marathon is tomorrow. What time would you suggest we leave so we can view the rope drop at Magic Kingdom?" Perhaps you did, if so then you certainly have a complaint. If not, failure on your part is not a problem for anyone else other than yourself. Very sorry you feel "second class" but failure to plan is a plan to fail.
Blaming the OP for the trouble they went through isn't the solution. They haven't failed anything other than not knowing about the Marathons going on for the weekend. Even if it was well advertised not all guests knew about it. The solution would be for resort concierge, front desk employees and Disney phone operators to inform guests who are inquiring about the weekend that there is a big event happening. But then that could possibly mean they would turn people off from visiting so they probably just keep that under wraps unless they are asked about it specifically. No matter how much you plan there is no indication of such a large event going on unless you already know about it.

OP, I am sorry that you got less of the experience you were looking for. It happens and sometimes there is nothing anyone can do to control it. Getting a single FP doesn't seem to make up for all of the trouble that you went through and that's completely understandable. Just realize there are probably many other guests who experienced the same thing that weekend and many more will go through similar situations during their stay at other times they are there as well. Maybe try writing a letter to Guest Services when you get home. It may not do any good but at least you will bring it to their attention.

rob0519

The OP wrote that they were out on the first bus out of the resort. Other than taking a cab or Uber, which both may have been worse, what else were they to do? Obviously, Transportation apparently did not feel the need to schedule earlier buses to make rope drop at the MK as usual due to potential traffic problems which looks like a mistake on their part.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I would agree with that wager. I suppose I'm just "blinded" per say by knowing more than the average joe that often I forget to see things through their eyes.
I fall into that trap as well. I know how much planking WDW takes. Not everyone does. Tough to remember that sometimes.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The OP wrote that they were out on the first bus out of the resort. Other than taking a cab or Uber, which both may have been worse, what else were they to do? Obviously, Transportation apparently did not feel the need to schedule earlier buses to make rope drop at the MK as usual due to potential traffic problems which looks like a mistake on their part.
I think some of the posters here are basically calling the OP a moron and a liar. They had no problems marathon weekend, so therefore no one possibly could have.

plutofan15

Blaming the OP for the trouble they went through isn't the solution. They haven't failed anything other than not knowing about the Marathons going on for the weekend. Even if it was well advertised not all guests knew about it. The solution would be for resort concierge, front desk employees and Disney phone operators to inform guests who are inquiring about the weekend that there is a big event happening. But then that could possibly mean they would turn people off from visiting so they probably just keep that under wraps unless they are asked about it specifically. No matter how much you plan there is no indication of such a large event going on unless you already know about it.

OP, I am sorry that you got less of the experience you were looking for. It happens and sometimes there is nothing anyone can do to control it. Getting a single FP doesn't seem to make up for all of the trouble that you went through and that's completely understandable. Just realize there are probably many other guests who experienced the same thing that weekend and many more will go through similar situations during their stay at other times they are there as well. Maybe try writing a letter to Guest Services when you get home. It may not do any good but at least you will bring it to their attention.

One would have to be pretty oblivious to be on property and not be aware that the marathon events were happening this past weekend. I have been on property in the past and information that a running event is being held is pretty much all over the place like a bad rash.

raven

One would have to be pretty oblivious to be on property and not be aware that the marathon events were happening this past weekend. I have been on property in the past and information that a running event is being held is pretty much all over the place like a bad rash.
But you realized it once ON property. How about before you plan? If you aren't aware of it then I can see how it would be horrible for some people.

plutofan15

But you realized it once ON property. How about before you plan? If you aren't aware of it then I can see how it would be horrible for some people.

We were aware of the event well prior to planning the trip. Not to beat a dead horse but even if you do the tiniest bit of planning, you almost have to try to be unaware that it is going on. Sorry that the OP missed the ceremony but an ounce of prevention.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom