Marathon packages

Mickey&Minnie

My husband and I along with some friends are registering to race in the 2011 marathon. Our friends in particular are depending on good packages for marathon participants. When will these be released and what kind of deals were offered last year?
We are training now and can't wait. Is anyone else out there training too?

papercut

We were down there for this years and saw all the runners, which made me want to run it. I started training last week to see if I can. I've never run farther than a mile before so this should be interesting. I was always a sprinter when I ran track. I found some training plans online and plan on following one to build up to running that distance. Good luck!!

Upvote 0

annchip3

I'm hoping there are good deals too - my husband and I decided to make it a goal for the both of us and started training/getting into shape in the new year. I'm a little freaked out cause I haven't run further than 1 mile either! And in a long long time!

Hope someone knows more info on the packages. :wave:

Upvote 0

lukacseven

I just got back from my fifth year at the marathon weekend. As part of your training, pray that the weather is better next year. The temperature at the start of the races was in the 20's. I believe at the finish of the marathon, the high was 34 and windy. The half marathon was run in sleet and freezing rain. Saturday and Sunday set record low temps for the Orlando area.

Anyway, depending on your budget, I would stay away from the All-Star resorts. The lines for the busses (standing outside) and food court tend to be fairly long. We waited 1:45 for a bus to go to the race start back in '06 (when it was also in the 20's). There is a link on the Endurance Series website for Travel Details. The packages aren't posted, yet, but that's where you'll find them. I also remeber in the past when you register, it asked if you were interested in packages. If you checked "yes," they send you the standard vacation planner in the mail.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I would classify the marathon rates as fair... certainty better than paying rack rates....but many of the general public rates are better. If you book with the marathon rate keep your ear to the ground for other deals that come out an prepare to rebook.....or just book with Kingdom Konsultants and let us do all that work for you.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

As yoda said, deals for the marathon are mediocre at best. For some of the other endurance events, they will throw out decent ticket discounts, but I can't recall seeing any of these for the marathons for the last few years. I ended up getting better hotel rates for the recent marathon weekend using the standard Visa/AP discount. Also, they recently started charging more for that Fri/Sat night in relation to the other days around it and as such would seem to be less likely to offer big discounts since they know that 50,000+ people pour onto property for the races.

A few things to think about - for most people, especially those not used to the long distance, you will be very sore/stiff afterwards. So if you are inclined to use a hot tub, keep that in mind when booking. The same goes for possibly having to walk all over creation to get back to your hotel room. The provided transportation from the finish line only stops at the main building at the resorts. Also, some people walk to the start line by staying at Old Key West/POFQ depending on which race you are doing. You can sleep in later than taking the bus, and then walking just as far back. Keep in mind Disney doesn't officially approve this method and may at any time put some measure in place to discourage it.

Good luck to all those who are starting their training. No better place to do your first long distance run that at WDW. The spectators are amazing, and nothing really beats running through the castle before the park opens.

Upvote 0

MKCP 1985

I have run during marathon weekend for 2 years in a row - not a long time by any measure, but long enough to provide a little insight.

Disney loves to sell its packages and there will be a marathon package, certainly, with the opportunity to purchase length of stay passes, park hoppers, dining plan . . . the whole 9 yards.

My recommendation is to find the on site hotel you want and get someone to book it at whatever the best going rate may be. Lock that down as priority #2, right behind getting registered for the half marathon which will fill up early, probably in March.

If you think a big part of your stay will be going to the parks, then by all means, get the park passes and dinner reservations. You don't have to pay anything but your deposit on the front end. The rest of it won't come due until late November.

If any better deals are announced in the meantime, your agent will be happy to rebook you at the better rate.

Upvote 0

krisrunsdisney

Having been a Marathon Weekend veteran for hte past 6 years now, I can tell you to find $$ in your budget to stay at the Epcot resorts. Specifically, you want Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club, or Swan and Dolphin. You will need to take the bus in the morning to get to the start (and possibly after the half) but for the full you can walk back to the resort. great for a cool down and to keep your legs going. Also, if you have fans coming to cheer yo uon, they can just walk out the back of their resort, watch you go by, then go back ot their room to eat, get ready for hte day, whatever. Only twice have we stayed elsewhere (All Stars and Saratoga) and have been miserable. We've done BC and BW, and my sister came to watch from Dolphin this year, and it was fantastic. Plus, generally speaking, the location is fantastic, close to two parks, lots of dining options close by, best pool at WDW at the B&YC.

As for price, you could run with Team in Training (but you have to raise $$ for them; depends if you're okay with that) or contact a travel agent ot see if they have group rates. I still say book with a travel agent. They will (usually) adjust your price if a special deal comes out and makes your stay cheaper. Don't do the packages offered by Disney. I don't know that they are worth it.
Just MHO. YMMV.

Have a great training year! See you next January!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Having been a Marathon Weekend veteran for hte past 6 years now, I can tell you to find $$ in your budget to stay at the Epcot resorts. Specifically, you want Boardwalk, Yacht and Beach Club, or Swan and Dolphin. You will need to take the bus in the morning to get to the start (and possibly after the half) but for the full you can walk back to the resort. great for a cool down and to keep your legs going. Also, if you have fans coming to cheer yo uon, they can just walk out the back of their resort, watch you go by, then go back ot their room to eat, get ready for hte day, whatever. Only twice have we stayed elsewhere (All Stars and Saratoga) and have been miserable. We've done BC and BW, and my sister came to watch from Dolphin this year, and it was fantastic. Plus, generally speaking, the location is fantastic, close to two parks, lots of dining options close by, best pool at WDW at the B&YC.

As for price, you could run with Team in Training (but you have to raise $$ for them; depends if you're okay with that) or contact a travel agent ot see if they have group rates. I still say book with a travel agent. They will (usually) adjust your price if a special deal comes out and makes your stay cheaper. Don't do the packages offered by Disney. I don't know that they are worth it.
Just MHO. YMMV.

Have a great training year! See you next January!
You are quite correct. The only issue that seems to come up at the Epcot resorts, especially Boardwalk, is availability. If you are booking a standard room it is typically a non issue but the DVC rooms fill up really quick and the marathon deal might be all that you can get. I had a client this year staying in a 2br at the Boardwalk initially under the marathon package. When the 4/3 deal came out I tried for months to get him re-booked under that deal only to be told no availability over and over again. I was able to get him re-booked with the $750 gift card just before his trip, which was a better deal than the marathon package, but it took a bunch of work.

You suggestion of using a TA is very good. Let them do the leg work to get you a good deal.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom