Marathon impact on crowds

DisneyDreamer08

Do marathon crowds effect the parks much? We are planning a January trip (11th-19th) so we will be there during the marathon. Is it anything we should be concerned about or try to prepare for in any way?

JIMINYCR

Ive found there can be a spike in guests later in the day, and possibly the families that booked a short stay will spill into the next day or 2 but its not going to affect much. Lots of locals run the marathons. Like any good planning, get to the parks early, have your FP+ arranged, plan your park strategy and enjoy the days no matter what you encounter.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Ive found there can be a spike in guests later in the day, and possibly the families that booked a short stay will spill into the next day or 2 but its not going to affect much. Lots of locals run the marathons. Like any good planning, get to the parks early, have your FP+ arranged, plan your park strategy and enjoy the days no matter what you encounter.

This is perfect, thank you so much. I’ve just started the rough draft of where we’ll be each day (ADRs are bookable in July so still plenty of time) so I wasn’t sure if this would effect our daily plans at all.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

The expo and bib pick up is supposed to start on the 8th, you'll be coming in on the day of the half marathon if you arrive on the 11th and your first full day is the day of the full marathon (which touches every park). The RunDisney events are a big draw for people from all over the world and can bring in tens of thousands of runners, so it's going to impact everything from parks to lodging and dining. I was there during the Wine & Dine a few years ago and we saw the biggest impact in Epcot in the afternoon. On the day of the full marathon (the 12th) it seems that Animal Kingdom has the most early morning race impact, since runners are often in the park when it's first open, so that may be something to plan around if you don't want to deal with it. The half, on your arrival day, shouldn't have as much impact, but runners for that one usually go between Epcot and MK and back, so those roads will probably have early morning impact. I do know some people who run the full who add on a couple of days afterwards, but I know others who fly out next morning, so I don't think the impact will be as profound after the 12th.

Ultimately, something is always going, so I'd just plan what you want to do and be ready to adjust if crowds or events make things more challenging.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just note that there will be road closures in the early AM once races start on Thursday. You may be diverted/held up at points in the parks as runners go through the parks. All races start at 5:30 AM.

The full Marathon on Sunday runs through all 4 parks, so expect impact on DAK, DHS and Epcot as it's likely those parks will be open when a good 50% of runners hit those parks. And the roads between parks will be reduced to 1 or 2 lanes.

In 2018, 22,000 registered for the Half and 15,000 people registered for the Full; total registrations for all 4 races were around 65,000. That's just runners - add to that number family, friends, volunteers and other race support.

Many runners will depart Monday or Tuesday, so parks those 2 days will see additional guests. As others noted, runners will hit the parks in the afternoon, but will leave early if racing the next morning.

I'll be one of those thousands that weekend.

If you are planning on staying on property, make your resort reservation soon. That's a very popular weekend and with 50,000-60,000 runners and family/friends, it will be hard to find a resort room if you wait until Fall. 1st to go will be Epcot & monorail resorts.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
The expo and bib pick up is supposed to start on the 8th, you'll be coming in on the day of the half marathon if you arrive on the 11th and your first full day is the day of the full marathon (which touches every park). The RunDisney events are a big draw for people from all over the world and can bring in tens of thousands of runners, so it's going to impact everything from parks to lodging and dining. I was there during the Wine & Dine a few years ago and we saw the biggest impact in Epcot in the afternoon. On the day of the full marathon (the 12th) it seems that Animal Kingdom has the most early morning race impact, since runners are often in the park when it's first open, so that may be something to plan around if you don't want to deal with it. The half, on your arrival day, shouldn't have as much impact, but runners for that one usually go between Epcot and MK and back, so those roads will probably have early morning impact. I do know some people who run the full who add on a couple of days afterwards, but I know others who fly out next morning, so I don't think the impact will be as profound after the 12th.

Ultimately, something is always going, so I'd just plan what you want to do and be ready to adjust if crowds or events make things more challenging.
Just note that there will be road closures in the early AM once races start on Thursday. You may be diverted/held up at points in the parks as runners go through the parks. All races start at 5:30 AM.

The full Marathon on Sunday runs through all 4 parks, so expect impact on DAK, DHS and Epcot as it's likely those parks will be open when a good 50% of runners hit those parks. And the roads between parks will be reduced to 1 or 2 lanes.

In 2018, 22,000 registered for the Half and 15,000 people registered for the Full; total registrations for all 4 races were around 65,000. That's just runners - add to that number family, friends, volunteers and other race support.

Many runners will depart Monday or Tuesday, so parks those 2 days will see additional guests. As others noted, runners will hit the parks in the afternoon, but will leave early if racing the next morning.

I'll be one of those thousands that weekend.

If you are planning on staying on property, make your resort reservation soon. That's a very popular weekend and with 50,000-60,000 runners and family/friends, it will be hard to find a resort room if you wait until Fall. 1st to go will be Epcot & monorail resorts.

This is great info, thanks so much! We are planning to book the second 2020 packages are released. I have already told our TA that she can book us immediately when packages are released. :)
We will most likely be staying at Movies. I *think* on our first full day (Sunday the 12th) we are going to AK and I *think* on Monday the 13th we are doing BBB in MK along with CRT.
Will buses be effected by lane closures/traffic? Should we plan on leaving extra early those first few mornings?

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is great info, thanks so much! We are planning to book the second 2020 packages are released. I have already told our TA that she can book us immediately when packages are released. :)
We will most likely be staying at Movies. I *think* on our first full day (Sunday the 12th) we are going to AK and I *think* on Monday the 13th we are doing BBB in MK along with CRT.
Will buses be effected by lane closures/traffic? Should we plan on leaving extra early those first few mornings?

Yes, especially if you plan on doing rope drop at DAK. After the races conclude on Sunday, traffic should return to normal. Monday parks will be crowded with runners celebrating. Some may stay for the following week to take advantage of the MLK weekend on the 20th - that's always a crowded weekend as it's the last one until May (not everyone gets President's Day off). I woukd worry more about your arrival day on Saturday and Sunday.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Yes, especially if you plan on doing rope drop at DAK. After the races conclude on Sunday, traffic should return to normal. Monday parks will be crowded with runners celebrating. Some may stay for the following week to take advantage of the MLK weekend on the 20th - that's always a crowded weekend as it's the last one until May (not everyone gets President's Day off). I woukd worry more about your arrival day on Saturday and Sunday.

Thank you! We are planning to rope drop AK on Sunday but, we are spending two days there. So I think we’ll try for a one Pandora FP each day that way, we don’t have to rush at rope drop.
On our arrival day (Saturday) we are thinking of heading to MK after we land. Just doing 3 FPs and maybe the parade or a stage show.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you! We are planning to rope drop AK on Sunday but, we are spending two days there. So I think we’ll try for a one Pandora FP each day that way, we don’t have to rush at rope drop.
On our arrival day (Saturday) we are thinking of heading to MK after we land. Just doing 3 FPs and maybe the parade or a stage show.

As long as you're not landing before 10AM, you'll be fine. The Half on Saturday runs from Epcot to MK and back.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Personally, if you're not wanting to be impacted by the marathon, I would avoid AK the morning of the 12th. Runners will be in AK while it's open (in the early hours of it being open) and while the "thing to do" for faster runners is to try and ride Everest during the race (i.e. runners will leave the in park race route, get into the single rider line, and get back into the race after riding) and won't be a Pandora impact...you'll still likely be dealing with issues with runners and people cheering on the runners. I'm not sure which roads and such are closed, but I would imagine the road closures follow the race, so closures will likely impact the AK area in the early hours. That's not to say guests can't get in, but it may be more complicated and time consuming. You might want to Google Disney marathon road closures to see what is normally open and closed.

I personally plan on going to AK the morning of the marathon (one race I'm not planning to run), but I'm doing it to cheer and try and ride Everest in all of it.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
Hmm well this is interesting! I will have to look more into routes and road closures and whatnot. Glad I started planning early!
What park would be best for us Sunday?
Thanks everyone.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
The 1st park along the Marathon course is MK. Race starts at 5:30 AM, with runners in the last corral starting no later than 6:30ish. MK, starting with the TTC is Miles 3 through 6. So if the last runners start at 6:30 with the 16 minute mile pace, they'll hit the TTC parking lot around 7:20 AM (Mile 3), monorail station at TTC around 7:40 AM (Mile 4) , run down World Drive towards Contemporary and hit MK entrance around 8:00 AM (Mile 5), run down Main Street, over through Tomorrowland, New Fantasy Land, through the Castle, over to Adventureland and out of MK by Splash Mountain around 8:20 AM (Mile 6). Of course, all these times are approximate. There will be people lining Main Street cheering on runners.

If you want to do a park on Sunday, starting at park opening, then I'd say MK. Based upon my calculations, I'd think runners should clear MK by 8:30, 8:40 at the latest. You may be impacted trying to get there and lining up for rope drop, but after the park opens, you'll be fine. Provided Disney doesn't do morning EMH that day at MK.

I've not run the Marathon. But the first 7-8 miles is the same course as the Princess Half, which I run.

Hopefully, those who've run the Marathon can give you more precise times.

Here's a link to the Marathon course map, if that helps.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
The 1st park along the Marathon course is MK. Race starts at 5:30 AM, with runners in the last corral starting no later than 6:30ish. MK, starting with the TTC is Miles 3 through 6. So if the last runners start at 6:30 with the 16 minute mile pace, they'll hit the TTC parking lot around 7:20 AM (Mile 3), monorail station at TTC around 7:40 AM (Mile 4) , run down World Drive towards Contemporary and hit MK entrance around 8:00 AM (Mile 5), run down Main Street, over through Tomorrowland, New Fantasy Land, through the Castle, over to Adventureland and out of MK by Splash Mountain around 8:20 AM (Mile 6). Of course, all these times are approximate. There will be people lining Main Street cheering on runners.

If you want to do a park on Sunday, starting at park opening, then I'd say MK. Based upon my calculations, I'd think runners should clear MK by 8:30, 8:40 at the latest. You may be impacted trying to get there and lining up for rope drop, but after the park opens, you'll be fine. Provided Disney doesn't do morning EMH that day at MK.

I've not run the Marathon. But the first 7-8 miles is the same course as the Princess Half, which I run.

Hopefully, those who've run the Marathon can give you more precise times.

Here's a link to the Marathon course map, if that helps.

Thanks so much! I did do some googling last night and found this picture. It’s a few years old but I assume it’s still relevant
3E432102-DA96-40AB-B5A6-CD54BF5106FB.jpeg

I read several blogs and most say to stay away from Epcot that day since that’s where it ends. Most blogs also said the in-park impact was minimal, it was more the traffic/road closures that were a concern. I’ll have to see if we can rearrange our touring schedule. Back to the drawing board! :cool:

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thanks so much! I did do some googling last night and found this picture. It’s a few years old but I assume it’s still relevant
View attachment 376096

I read several blogs and most say to stay away from Epcot that day since that’s where it ends. Most blogs also said the in-park impact was minimal, it was more the traffic/road closures that were a concern. I’ll have to see if we can rearrange our touring schedule. Back to the drawing board! :cool:

I think it's optimistic to assume ALL runners will clear MK by 8:00 AM. Once majority of runners have hit the MK bus depot, runDisney will start to open lanes on the roads leading to MK. And in park impact isn't necessarily minimum. Non-runners will be held at entrances and various spots throughout the parks as runners come through - y'all stop for us, we don't stop for you. There were 12,000 FINISHERS for the 2019 Marathon.

I'd visit MK on Sunday. And definitely avoid Epcot that day, as the Marathon begins and ends there and uses a chunk of the parking lot. Depending on what time you arrive on Saturday, I'd also avoid Epcot that day for the same reason. Saturday would be a good day to go to Animal Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - all things considered, since they are planning on staying in one of the all stars, wouldn’t DAK be the best park to get to on Sunday in terms of road closures? Because the busses could reroute down to 192 (if they don’t already take that route). Just my two cents...

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - all things considered, since they are planning on staying in one of the all stars, wouldn’t DAK be the best park to get to on Sunday in terms of road closures? Because the busses could reroute down to 192 (if they don’t already take that route). Just my two cents...

I don't recommend visiting DAK on Sunday as runners reach the park a little after Mile 12. Not only will you still be dealing with road closures, but runners in the park as it is opening. Think of all those thousands in Corrals F-H running in DAK as you're trying to get in. I'm not sure if during the Marathon you enter DAK from the front or from the rear.

I cleared MK during Princess well before it opened....and I'm slow. I'd visit that park on Sunday.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
I just remember transportation being bedlam around MK on Marathon morning in 2018.

It's not going to get any better trying to get to the parks on the course after MK. Straight shot down Buena Vista from All Stars, turn left on to World Drive to MK. If I remember from Princess, the signs announcing road closures/delays around MK state until 8:30 AM. I realize it will take time to clear traffic, but I think you'll be heading TO DAK as runners are approaching it, rather than going to a park as runners are clearing it. As I was running back down World Drive after leaving MK during Princess, World Drive going to MK was starting to clear.

Just my two cents.

Upvote 0

DisneyDreamer08

Original Poster
We will definitely be using Disney transportation if that makes any difference. And we will definitely be going to either MK or AK. Because this is our first full day, our plan was not push things too much with our two kids, take it slow & take our time. Yes, we were hoping to rope drop where ever we went but if that doesn’t happen, we’ll adjust. Thankfully we are planning more than one day at both MK and AK. We are planning to do a few character breakfasts throughout the week- 1900 PF, Tusker House and CRT. We could always plan one of those for mid morning and make that the start of the day.
Thank you again for all the advice.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom