Man Arrested after trying to bring gun into Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seveneves

At the Main Entrance of DHS this a.m., I was the one who alerted the security managers to the fact that a guest, who had just come through bag check, had dropped and broken a glass bottle of Heineken beer. The guests hurried along into the park. I pondered how this might play out at the next few meetings among the security leaders.

Notes from Neverland

Maybe this will be the incident which leads to massive security changes. Kind of surprised things aren't more strict given the events of the past year.

Clamman73

When I was there late September, I was asked to go through the metal detectors here and there with multiple entrances into the Parks per day from Park hopping...they need to have every one go through from now on...can't think there's a 50/50 chance people are in the Park with a gun underneath their clothes.

s8film40

Does everyone realize that this happens all the time when someone doesn't get randomly selected? Also when someone isn't arrested it doesn't make the news they're just told they can't bring the gun in.

No Name

I'll say again that I'm very glad this person was stopped. Nobody has an excuse to bring a gun to WDW, if for no other reason than the fact that it's against the rules. I am aware and understand that some people feel insecure or have reasons in their head, but as a poster above said, if you can't comply with the park policy, you can't visit. And you should certainly not attempt to get through unnoticed. With that said...

I assume, with all fairness, that if someone is trying to get a gun past security, they are attempting murder. That is, unless or until we know otherwise.

And stronger measures need to be put into place to prevent an incident from occurring.

Didn't this happen sometime in the summer too?

Yes, there was an incident in August (the 21st, I believe). The nightclub shooter this past June also scouted WDW, though obviously the end result was just as horrible. The increasing frequency of these incidents reinforces the idea that WDW security needs to be improved and fully applied to all who pass through.

Non-blocked site:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...angston-disney-gun-arrest-20161024-story.html

Edit: It's was a man at Epcot, not a female at Animal Kingdom.

Just a couple of minor details... ;)

s8film40

I assume, with all fairness, that if someone is trying to get a gun past security, they are attempting murder. That is, unless or until we know otherwise.
That's quite an assumption, but I suppose assumptions are what they are and this is a great example of why assumptions shouldn't be made.

Interestingly I think this situation brings to light the reason why some people feel the need to bring weapons into the park. Not that I agree or condone it, but for every person who doesn't make it into the park with a weapon far more are allowed in because they simply aren't randomly selected. In fact it wouldn't surprise me at all if this guys comment when they caught him was something along the lines of "no one said anything the last several times I came into the park". Many people could feel that if guns are allowed to enter the park unchecked that they should bring theirs for their own self defense. News stories like this could ultimately make this worse as people who could have mostly assumed that there weren't guns in the park are now more aware of their presence.

MonorailCoral

You're right - he was arrested because he didn't have a concealed carry weapon permit. If he had one, he would just have been told to leave.

Exactly.

And if he DID have a valid carry permit but refused to leave after being asked/told, he could have been arrested for armed trespass.

I'll say again that I'm very glad this person was stopped. Nobody has an excuse to bring a gun to WDW, if for no other reason than the fact that it's against the rules. I am aware and understand that some people feel insecure or have reasons in their head, but as a poster above said, if you can't comply with the park policy, you can't visit. And you should certainly not attempt to get through unnoticed.

Countless facilities statewide may have "rules" against firearms on their premises, but there's nothing legally enforceable about any of them in this state unless 1) the type of their establishments (or certain conditions present therein) are specifically outlawed from even permitted carry by Florida statutes/federal regulations, or 2) said bearer of firearm/carry permit refuses to leave the premise after being asked/told.

Whether you choose to accept it or not, just like the vast majority of public places in Florida, most locations within the WDW Bubble other than the theme parks are still wide open for 1) armed criminal intent, and 2) legally-armed defensive measures against said criminal intent.

Some of us are aware not only that purple road signs don't deter criminal activity, but may encourage such activity as those within the bubble could be perceived as less of a defensive threat than those outside the bubble. And we simply don't choose to keep our heads in the swamp. Feel free to continue though, it's your right.

While I would not personally carry or attempt to carry into the parks since the introduction of medal detectors, thankfully your assumption that someone trying to get a gun past the checkpoint is attempting to commit murder (unless or until known otherwise) holds no legal standing for lawful bearers of firearms.

CaptainAmerica

Nobody has an excuse to bring a gun to WDW, if for no other reason than the fact that it's against the rules. I am aware and understand that some people feel insecure or have reasons in their head, but as a poster above said, if you can't comply with the park policy, you can't visit.
In fairness, the policy isn't very explicit, you really have to go looking for it. I know several people who (legally) carry a firearm wherever they go, including both men and women. For legal permit holders, especially those who hold a Florida permit, Disney needs to do a better job of communicating that the permit doesn't apply on Disney's private property.

s8film40

Some of us are aware not only that purple road signs don't deter criminal activity, but may encourage such activity as those within the bubble could be perceived as less of a defensive threat than those outside the bubble. And we simply don't choose to keep our heads in the swamp. Feel free to continue though, it's your right.
Exactly! When you create a known gun free zone you have a responsibility to make sure it is actually gun free. Disney has failed miserably at this. WDW is less safe with their security checkpoints than if they did nothing at all. Look at Universal for example they send EVERYONE through a metal detector and can ensure a level of consistency. At WDW if someone wanted to do harm they have a really decent chance of not being randomly selected, and even if selected they can simply return to their car and try again another day or a little later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom