Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You disagree that it’s hard to steal a street sign off the side of an active highway in one of the most popular vacation destinations in the world? I can’t imagine how it could be considered easy at the minimum.
This is where @ImperfectPixie lives...

1616359120110.png

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Wouldn't Buzzy's hat have been sewn/stitched on? If so, wouldn't there be some obvious fraying or damage if it was removed? Of course they could have removed it carefully and not damaged it, but that also brings up the question of why do it in the first place? Why steal the animatronic only to destroy or damage it?

Or is possible that hat was just resting on Buzzy's head and not secured?

yensidtlaw1969

Wouldn't Buzzy's hat have been sewn/stitched on? If so, wouldn't there be some obvious fraying or damage if it was removed? Of course they could have removed it carefully and not damaged it, but that also brings up the question of why do it in the first place? Why steal the animatronic only to destroy or damage it?

Or is possible that hat was just resting on Buzzy's head and not secured?

It was very likely secured with Large Snaps, so that it could be easily removable for maintenance but unlikely to be pulled free by the animatronics movements.

yensidtlaw1969

Or it could just have been held in place by his headphones.
Unlikely, since you'd risk that the hat start to slump too far forward or backward on his head. It would have been secured in place just where they wanted it on his head, with the built in ability to remove it when necessary.

All this stuff is designed to be optimal for constant repeated use, consistent show, and maintenance access. Large Snaps (think Whopper Poppers) are popular because they're hard to undo by accident but easy to undo on purpose, don't wear out like Velcro, and can be placed precisely and integrated into a wide variety of textiles and skins. They're also easy to replace and can launder with costumes.

Magnets are now used too in some cases, but I doubt they would have been back in Buzzy's day, at least not for his hat.

VicariousCorpse

Unlikely, since you'd risk that the hat start to slump too far forward or backward on his head. It would have been secured in place just where they wanted it on his head, with the built in ability to remove it when necessary.

All this stuff is designed to be optimal for constant repeated use, consistent show, and maintenance access. Large Snaps (think Whopper Poppers) are popular because they're hard to undo by accident but easy to undo on purpose, don't wear out like Velcro, and can be placed precisely and integrated into a wide variety of textiles and skins. They're also easy to replace and can launder with costumes.

Magnets are now used too in some cases, but I doubt they would have been back in Buzzy's day, at least not for his hat.
All good points and most likely true. You just can never be sure with consistency with Disney though. Specially in a rushed redressing turning Captain Cortex into Buzzy.

ImperfectPixie

You disagree that it’s hard to steal a street sign off the side of an active highway in one of the most popular vacation destinations in the world? I can’t imagine how it could be considered easy at the minimum.

When my MIL sold her house, I inherited an I-95 sign that my BIL swiped when he was a teenager. The section he took it from sees traffic 24x7 and I've never figured out how he got it, and he won't tell me.

hosekiller

When my MIL sold her house, I inherited an I-95 sign that my BIL swiped when he was a teenager. The section he took it from sees traffic 24x7 and I've never figured out how he got it, and he won't tell me.
I live in Georgia, and fresh street signs aren’t hard to come by 🤣🤣

As a matter of fact, I know a GDOT district that changed to metal posts because 4x4 wooden posts kept going missing 😳

ImperfectPixie

I live in Georgia, and fresh street signs aren’t hard to come by 🤣🤣

As a matter of fact, I know a GDOT district that changed to metal posts because 4x4 wooden posts kept going missing 😳
Nope. I was in the sign industry for decades. This one was obviously up for many years and carefully removed from it's (metal) post. There is no damage from an accident or anything.

Also...this is from INTERSTATE 95. The sign is easily 3 1/2 feet in diameter. It's also made of very heavy aluminum (not the .060 that's used for small street signs.)

hosekiller

Nope. I was in the sign industry for decades. This one was obviously up for many years and carefully removed from it's (metal) post. There is no damage from an accident or anything.

Also...this is from INTERSTATE 95. The sign is easily 3 1/2 feet in diameter. It's also made of very heavy aluminum (not the .060 that's used for small street signs.)
Yep. I’ve never been part of any such shenanigans personally, but it happens haha.

where there’s a will there’s a way!

hosekiller

M

My guess is that there was A LOT of alcohol involved. 😂
One guy was working on his deck and was too cheap to buy lumber, and I guess he was fine with lightly used 4x4s. Probably also discovered a way to “stick it to the man” 😳

The rest, well, kids will be kids and drunk rednecks will be drunk rednecks. Sometimes the two even intermingle 🤣🤣

ImperfectPixie

Those signs fall down/hit by cars all the time. They’re much easier to get when they’re on the ground
Yup. The one I have is in pretty good shape though. It doesn't look like it was taken out in an accident or anything, and they don't use wooden posts up here because they'd rot in very short order (I'm in MA).

Goofyernmost

In college, some friends and myself went over to NY State because the drinking age there was 18 (Vermont 21). We stayed in a Holiday Inn. Sometime during an alcohol frenzy one of the guys went out and took down every directional sign in the building. You know, the "to the pool", "rooms 241 - 260 -->", "Exit" and so on. That was 53 years ago. I had the opportunity to speak with him a few months ago and he still has all of them on the wall in his "man cave"** now. It only goes to prove that people get old, but they never really grow up. (If their lucky)
People our age, being far more sophisticated, refer to that room as a den.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
In college, some friends and myself went over to NY State because the drinking age there was 18 (Vermont 21). We stayed in a Holiday Inn. Sometime during an alcohol frenzy one of the guys went out and took down every directional sign in the building. You know, the "to the pool", "rooms 241 - 260 -->", "Exit" and so on. That was 53 years ago. I had the opportunity to speak with him a few months ago and he still has all of them on the wall in his "man cave"** now. It only goes to prove that people get old, but they never really grow up. (If their lucky)
People our age, being far more sophisticated, refer to that room as a den.
He sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Homemade Imagineering

Probably not. Most private collectors who own bots, especially ones coming from Disney (which is incredibly rare) never reveal them for a reason. They know they're risking getting caught, and while most privately owned bots are legal, I've known people who've gotten bots from dumpsters and taken them home for restoration (nothing from Disney though, I'm referring to another company). Regardless of the situation, whether bots are legal or not, it all depends on the company said bot comes from, and whether the company has some sort of strict intellectual property policy. As for Dave, I'm not sure why he decided to make it seem as if Disney had the figure at central shops, though Dave himself is an animatronics enthusiast. He actually worked with the company who built animatronics for the Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex etc... so he has some expertise when it comes to working with the technology. Maybe it was a miscommunication he wanted to believe in, I don't know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom