Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

flynnibus

Premium Member
So finally watched the video (thx for posting @OrlandoRising !!). So they clearly confronted him with photos, they claim came from his phone number. So that's bad news for him... The statements suggest maybe they were photos sms'd or something.. but he also says 'on the internet'.. but having those phone photos before the interview wasn't a detail that stood out to me previously. If their source did legitimately have something tying the photos to his phone number.. that seems like an easy path to get the probable cause for the seizure and later warrants. Nothing in the interview suggests the interview itself gave discovery to seize the phone.. but it was all information they had prior and the police lured him to bring the phone to them.

The interview shows a kid who thought he was in control.. but really was in over his head. As soon as they started asking questions about his phone, he was in trouble and you could see the posture change. He thought he was still in control... but the door had already closed on him and he just didn't know it yet. He thought it was protected and safe.. but the police are far more experienced than he is.

Police sure showed a hand suggesting they had stuff specifically on him... but that could have been a ruse too. I just want to know if they legitimately had evidence tying the photos to his phone number because securing the phone is such a key point to the windfall of evidence afterwards.

Patrick's lesson to everyone... never go in for questioning without representation :)

GhostlyGoofy

I am curious if OCSO recovered any other phones. Spikes claims the phone in the video is only 2 months old. Who knows if he's being honest.

I just wonder if he'll see another arrest before his trial. If theres a lot more evidence of stolen goods.

Also if the interior of the car in the photos of Buzz's Clothes matches the interior of the car he's driving or registered to, that's pretty damning.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Also if the interior of the car in the photos of Buzz's Clothes matches the interior of the car he's driving or registered to, that's pretty damning.

But like Spikes said... if you see a photo of an inside of a BMW... what makes that my BMW? Need something more unique. The car photos they released are pretty bland in terms of identifying the car.

Ismael Flores

Nice... still will be interesting to see how the phone plays out in court... if there was a risk of illegal search there or not. Which will depend a lot on what details they had prior. Doesn't sound like they had a warrant for it prior.. but instead were counting on it being evidence based on probably cause. Because without that phone... seems like everything else falls apart.

i thought that in the video they say that they got a warrant for the phone

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
i thought that in the video they say that they go a warrant for the phone

It doesn't seem like they had one at the time but rather seized it under the premise of preventing him from tampering with evidence. The wording and sequence of events has been a bit vague I think. The police could have had the warrant and been holding back trying to get him to incriminate himself first... not sure honestly.

ETA: The arrest warrant documents they got a search warrant for the phone after the interview.

flynnibus

Premium Member
According to the warrant, the photos were received via text to someone from Spikes, and the bag itself was found in Spikes' home.

Thanks, yes in hindsight that text makes alot more sense.

"On December 18, 2018, I was made aware that another Disney employee had photographs sent to him from Spikes showing the stolen Buzzy animatronic clothing in his vehicle. Also seen in the photographs was a tan backpack that was later learned to be used to conceal the stolen clothing in both the Buzzy clothing case and this case. Controlled text messages were sent where Spikes initially denied any part in the theft but knew the stolen Buzzy clothes were sold for $8,000."

If that employee ratted Spikes out and gave them the photos and proof of the texts.. then they have pretty strong cause to get the search warrants (which they did after the interview) and justify the seizure to prevent Spikes from tampering. It makes the interview video and warrant text alot more clear with all those bits together.

RaveOnEd

Thanks, yes in hindsight that text makes alot more sense.

"On December 18, 2018, I was made aware that another Disney employee had photographs sent to him from Spikes showing the stolen Buzzy animatronic clothing in his vehicle. Also seen in the photographs was a tan backpack that was later learned to be used to conceal the stolen clothing in both the Buzzy clothing case and this case. Controlled text messages were sent where Spikes initially denied any part in the theft but knew the stolen Buzzy clothes were sold for $8,000."

If that employee ratted Spikes out and gave them the photos and proof of the texts.. then they have pretty strong cause to get the search warrants (which they did after the interview) and justify the seizure to prevent Spikes from tampering. It makes the interview video and warrant text alot more clear with all those bits together.
That he made a sudden grab for the phone (which became a focal point when he started to reach for it earlier in the questioning, as well as it being mentioned that he took photos and sent them out, posted on social media, etc.) makes it probable cause to get a warrant for the phone.

That he made a sudden jump in that room for anything was approaching the height of stupidity. That he did everything else, while sending geotagged photos of it, puts him at Everest heights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom