Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

Thelazer

"Unless weird Disney politics get involved, you 'll see him in the Guardians of the Galaxy Queue and that's the solid truth that nobody wants to hear. I haven't seen him backstage because I don't go backstage anymore."

Been saying this FROM DAY 1

Dragonman

"Unless weird Disney politics get involved, you 'll see him in the Guardians of the Galaxy Queue and that's the solid truth that nobody wants to hear. I haven't seen him backstage because I don't go backstage anymore."

Been saying this FROM DAY 1

Yep. When he shows up in there we’ll finally put this argument to rest. And like I said before if anyone wants to ask Hoot anything themselves go ahead.

Dragonman

s8film40

It has been on the news...the story has been twisted quite a bit but they're reporting he is stolen.
It was on Yahoo News and Fox News, idk if you consider those "legitimate"! 🤔🤣 It was on some local news as well.

View attachment 381959

View attachment 381961
Do you have any links? I haven’t found anything. The first image you posted is just an image of Buzzy with no content, this image has been used countless times to talk about the gloves etc. being stolen. The second image just says it’s missing (not stolen). Legitimate news isn’t going to run with the story of the actual animatronic being stolen without confirmation. All the legitimate news stories instead focused on the clothing items being stolen.

glawio

Do you have any links? I haven’t found anything. The first image you posted is just an image of Buzzy with no content, this image has been used countless times to talk about the gloves etc. being stolen. The second image just says it’s missing (not stolen). Legitimate news isn’t going to run with the story of the actual animatronic being stolen without confirmation. All the legitimate news stories instead focused on the clothing items being stolen.

Again, the story has been spun quite a bit but it is being reported on. Not saying this confirms or denies anything, you just mentioned no news was actually reporting on it so I wanted to clear it up! :)

s8film40

Again, the story has been spun quite a bit but it is being reported on. Not saying this confirms or denies anything, you just mentioned no news was actually reporting on it so I wanted to clear it up! :)

I never said no news, I said no legitimate news site has reported the animatronic stolen. You can bet they all wanted to run with that story, but fell back on what they could confirm which was just the clothing being stolen as the links you provided show.

OrlandoRising

While I’m not disputing this at all I think it is worth noting that that Orlando Rising site isn’t a real legitimate news site, it’s just a theme park news site and seems to be a newer less established one at that. I had never heard of them before it was brought up here. They simply provided a quote with nothing beyond that to back it up. I wouldn’t consider them to be more credible than Hoot although he offered nothing to back up his claim.

I do find it curious that if an animatronic was truly stolen which as we’ve seen seems to be a popular story, that the actual legitimate news organizations haven’t picked up the story.

Sorry to butt in on a WDWMagic thread again, but I saw my site was mentioned and didn't want to let questions go unanswered. Hi, I'm John Gregory, owner and operator of Orlando Rising.

You should be commended about being careful about your news sources. One of the reasons I started writing about Orlando parks is what I see as lax journalistic standards with other Disney blogs (not WDWMagic), as well as how often mainstream sources get some details wrong about Disney and Universal because they're just not familiar with the parks. My goal was to bridge that gap: apply more rigorous journalistic standards to reporting about Orlando theme parks and not insult the diehard fans who know a lot about these places.

Orlando Rising has been around as a general local news site since late 2015. I began writing for it a year ago, and earlier this year, we began focusing entirely on theme park coverage. Hopefully you'll hear more from us in the future. As for me, I'm not a newcomer to journalism in general; I've covered everything from state legislatures to health care to two Stanley Cup Finals over the 8 years of my career. I just happen to love these parks and felt it deserved better coverage than promoting new limited-time cupcakes or unsourced rumors.

I stand by my reporting in this story. I'm not here to say anything negative about Hoot Gibson's comments or guess why other sites or newspapers didn't pursue this angle of the story.

After the Patrick Spikes arrest warrant said that Buzzy "was later stolen from the attraction," separate from the gloves incident, I asked for clarification, specifically asking whether it was just reported stolen due to an internal Disney miscommunication or if it had simply reflected what detectives heard at the time.

Here's a screenshot of the email conversation I had with OCSO on this (I blacked out one employee's direct email address, but left it in the general PR email that's easily accessible on their site). Hopefully being transparent about my reporting process makes you trust Orlando Rising a bit more in the future, but I appreciate it's up to the site to earn that trust with my reporting, not just promises. Thanks and sorry again to WDWMagic for coming on the board to talk about my site.

Attachments

• OCSO email screenshot.png
    OCSO email screenshot.png
    155.1 KB · Views: 239

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry to butt in on a WDWMagic thread again, but I saw my site was mentioned and didn't want to let questions go unanswered. Hi, I'm John Gregory, owner and operator of Orlando Rising.

You should be commended about being careful about your news sources. One of the reasons I started writing about Orlando parks is what I see as lax journalistic standards with other Disney blogs (not WDWMagic), as well as how often mainstream sources get some details wrong about Disney and Universal because they're just not familiar with the parks. My goal was to bridge that gap: apply more rigorous journalistic standards to reporting about Orlando theme parks and not insult the diehard fans who know a lot about these places.

Orlando Rising has been around as a general local news site since late 2015. I began writing for it a year ago, and earlier this year, we began focusing entirely on theme park coverage. Hopefully you'll hear more from us in the future. As for me, I'm not a newcomer to journalism in general; I've covered everything from state legislatures to health care to two Stanley Cup Finals over the 8 years of my career. I just happen to love these parks and felt it deserved better coverage than promoting new limited-time cupcakes or unsourced rumors.

I stand by my reporting in this story. I'm not here to say anything negative about Hoot Gibson's comments or guess why other sites or newspapers didn't pursue this angle of the story.

After the Patrick Spikes arrest warrant said that Buzzy "was later stolen from the attraction," separate from the gloves incident, I asked for clarification, specifically asking whether it was just reported stolen due to an internal Disney miscommunication or if it had simply reflected what detectives heard at the time.

Here's a screenshot of the email conversation I had with OCSO on this (I blacked out one employee's direct email address, but left it in the general PR email that's easily accessible on their site). Hopefully being transparent about my reporting process makes you trust Orlando Rising a bit more in the future, but I appreciate it's up to the site to earn that trust with my reporting, not just promises. Thanks and sorry again to WDWMagic for coming on the board to talk about my site.

Thanks for that!

Could you perhaps follow up and ask whether any theft report was filed? And if not, how can they say it was stolen without that?

I mean, they can't say they want to keep it under wraps if they're willing to send out an email saying it was stolen.

s8film40

Thanks for the extra insight! Yeah like I said in the beginning I’m not necessarily disputing the story, just kind of taking it as it is. Kudos to you for following up. I’m sure there’s still more to come with this story so it’s definitely a wait and see sort of thing and I’m curious to see how this unfolds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom