Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

GhostlyGoofy

Probably just laziness/cheapness on WDW's part.

Why move something if it's just collecting dust in the back?

Demo/removal is the costliest part of construction. It's why they're just sealing up the attraction rooms for the play Pavilion.

Dragonman

Even if the attraction spaces were used they would need a lot of work to bring them up to modern day standards. The ceiling in cranium command is literally collapsing.

GhostlyGoofy

Sadly all the big parks just factor paying OSHA fines for pollution into daily expenses of operation.

But also isn't Vegetable Oil primarily used for hydraulic fluid? I remember hearing stories of several guests getting sprayed with vegetable oil from the T Rex on the JP River ride.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Sadly all the big parks just factor paying OSHA fines for pollution into daily expenses of operation.

But also isn't Vegetable Oil primarily used for hydraulic fluid? I remember hearing stories of several guests getting sprayed with vegetable oil from the T Rex on the JP River ride.
No, that was the "Frying Like A Dinosaur" experience...

glawio

"Hydraulic fluid" is a kind of catchall term that really just means any fluid that is used for a hydraulic system. There are a multitude of types and they are usually either oil based or water based. Judging by the huge amount of staining on the screen directly underneath Buzzy as well as the photos of his spilled fluid, it appears his hydraulic fluid was oil-based.

On the subject,

Here's a tumblr post from 2012 (!) from a CM who worked at Cranium Command-- I've seen it mentioned elsewhere anecdotally that the AA had issues with leaking/spraying hydraulic fluid.

Whenever stuff with the fluid is mentioned I can't not think about when someone commented on one of BDD's posts and joked about him using Buzzy's hydraulic fluid as lube and he went along with it, I know it's not serious but its just burned into my mind

Goofyernmost

I think there is..."beyond a shadow of a doubt" means that there is no doubt whatsoever, or that one is certain of something. "Beyond a reasonable doubt" means that there may be doubt, but evidence (or lack thereof) must be stronger than any doubt present.

Now, we could be super literal in our translation of these two phrases, in which case their meanings do become more similar...but the above are the commonly accepted meanings. Of course "reasonable" is open to individual interpretation, as what seems reasonable to one person may seem unreasonable to another.
I suppose that one doesn't have to be absolute about it. But, to me it is the same thing. 'Shadow' of a doubt means they were watched as it was happening or the gun belongs to them and he was caught in the act with it in his hand and pulling the trigger. Call it differently and you say that after all that common sense tells you that there is no reasonable doubt. Still guilty or not guilty depending on which of those two answers are given by the jury foreman.

Smiley/OCD

So like... can somebody who's well versed in law explain why Spikes plead not guilty? I can only attribute it to a massive display of arrogance and stupidity. Is there another strategy afoot here?
Easy, because whenever you are arrested and have to enter a plea, you ALWAYS plead not guilty...It puts the onus on the prosecution to convict. And, NO, I've never been arrested...LOL all you have to do is watch a few episodes of Law & Order...just ask OJ.

HMFan999

If his family is as rich as some people have insinuated then it's likely they've hired a pricey private attorney to represent him. Since this is a criminal case they won't be going up against Disney's legal team, but state or federal prosecutors. In the grand scheme of things this isn't exactly a high profile case so it isn't going to go to their best and brightest either. His lawyer is going to march him in there in a nice suit and tie and tell the jury what a good boy he is and how he's really sorry and if they don't ruin his life he'll go on to cure cancer, end world hunger, and bring about peace on earth. The jury will likely never get to see the Spikes we know... As much as I hate to say it, he's probably going to get off with probation if anything.

ImperfectPixie

If his family is as rich as some people have insinuated then it's likely they've hired a pricey private attorney to represent him. Since this is a criminal case they won't be going up against Disney's legal team, but state or federal prosecutors. In the grand scheme of things this isn't exactly a high profile case so it isn't going to go to their best and brightest either. His lawyer is going to march him in there in a nice suit and tie and tell the jury what a good boy he is and how he's really sorry and if they don't ruin his life he'll go on to cure cancer, end world hunger, and bring about peace on earth. The jury will likely never get to see the Spikes we know... As much as I hate to say it, he's probably going to get off with probation if anything.
I dunno about that...the evidence itself says a lot about his attitude about himself, the law, and other people's property. That may go a long way against him if the jury is able to deduce what has been obvious to us online. I'd also think that in the time between November and his arrest in May that they've archived his tweet, youtube and website history, and if that's the case, he might be in serious trouble.

Smiley/OCD

It all will depend on how much pressure Disney will put on the Prosecutors...there's two schools of thought on this, A) Disney just wants it to go away, and B), Disney wants to make an example out of him. I can see both sides...if they "let it slide", Disney is basically admitting that their security is sub par and could potentially open the flood gates to copycats. If they really push for a max conviction, then they're BIG, BAD, corporate Disney. Personally, I think they should throw the book at him.

glawio

I dunno about that...the evidence itself says a lot about his attitude about himself, the law, and other people's property. That may go a long way against him if the jury is able to deduce what has been obvious to us online. I'd also think that in the time between November and his arrest in May that they've archived his tweet, youtube and website history, and if that's the case, he might be in serious trouble.

I so desperately want this to be the truth, but in this day and age you can sexually assault an unconscious woman and be given a moderate county jail stay if you have enough money, which his family deffo has :rolleyes:

Goofyernmost

I don't really care... the world has much bigger problems then that do-uche Bag. Not really worth the taxpayers money to prosecute. Just another probable rich kid who will buy his way out and continue to do whatever he pleases for the rest of his life.

Goofyernmost

It all will depend on how much pressure Disney will put on the Prosecutors...there's two schools of thought on this, A) Disney just wants it to go away, and B), Disney wants to make an example out of him. I can see both sides...if they "let it slide", Disney is basically admitting that their security is sub par and could potentially open the flood gates to copycats. If they really push for a max conviction, then they're BIG, BAD, corporate Disney. Personally, I think they should throw the book at him.
I think the idea that people will think that Disney would look like a BIG BAD corporate bully would only be thinking that if they were "explorers" as well.

Smiley/OCD

I don't really care... the world has much bigger problems then that do-uche Bag. Not really worth the taxpayers money to prosecute. Just another probable rich kid who will buy his way out and continue to do whatever he pleases for the rest of his life.
That's one of the major reasons why we're in the state we're in today...no one takes responsibility and no one is willing to make anyone responsible for their actions. Some things deserve more than a slap on the wrist or even a swift kick in the posterior...this is one of them. His blatant arrogance deserves a harsh penalty, if convicted because as much as it pains me to say this, his IS innocent until proven guilty.

HMFan999

The general public will consider this a mild curiosity at best, unless the trial becomes a three ring circus. Since that's completely outside of Disney's control they'll likely just want this to go away. I do suspect it will bring sweeping changes to their security practices though. If / when someone tries something like this again and they catch them, then they'll throw the book at them. Disney is all about their public image and they've lost control of it in this case.

Smiley/OCD

I think the idea that people will think that Disney would look like a BIG BAD corporate bully would only be thinking that if they were "explorers" as well.
You can refer to him as the PC term "explorer"...I'd rather refer to him/them as TRESPASSERS with criminal intent...this was premeditated. They just didn't decide to "explore" and seize the opportunity to steal Buzzy (allegedly)

Goofyernmost

That's one of the major reasons why we're in the state we're in today...no one takes responsibility and no one is willing to make anyone responsible for their actions. Some things deserve more than a slap on the wrist or even a swift kick in the posterior...this is one of them. His blatant arrogance deserves a harsh penalty, if convicted because as much as it pains me to say this, his IS innocent until proven guilty.
Honestly, I could not agree with you more! It's a sad, sad world!

ImperfectPixie

Having kids in school (2nd and 7th grade) and being an older parent of kids those ages, one of the things that scares the bejeezus out of me is how many parents I see who refuse to accept responsibility for anything and who think their kids can do no wrong, basically creating a generation with a large percentage of people who think they deserve the world without earning it and that they can do whatever they like regardless of who else it has an effect on.

Smiley/OCD

The general public will consider this a mild curiosity at best, unless the trial becomes a three ring circus. Since that's completely outside of Disney's control they'll likely just want this to go away. I do suspect it will bring sweeping changes to their security practices though. If / when someone tries something like this again and they catch them, then they'll throw the book at them. Disney is all about their public image and they've lost control of it in this case.
I agree, but it really "ticks" me off that large corporations don't hesitate to make examples out of employees for internal theft, but they cower behind their corporate image when something like this happens...lower the boom, make an example out of him (IF he is convicted), and move on. Yes, I know, WDW probably won't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom