Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

GhostlyGoofy

Heehee, I was being facetious. I know it's the computer and not the AA. šŸ˜š

Also he deeefinitely had hydraulic fluid. Saw some pics on Twitter of it splattered all over the Cranium Command stage post-Buzzy removal...
It's a good thing Spikes allegedly stole Buzzy's clothes first otherwise they'd be slimed with hydraulic fluid. I wonder if that made carrying nude Buzzy like holding onto a greased pig. Sorry for the mental image.

DreamfinderGuy

This makes me think, actually, how far away the PLC would be for this. Epcot piped audio through the park from Computer Central, but I'd be interested in knowing whether they also kept show control in Computer Central, too. Especially with the later age of WoL, and the inconvenience of having the control hardware so far from the thing it is controlling, I can't imagine so.

@marni1971, you'd know this. Any knowledge if show control for later attractions like WoL was held in CC?
Wonders was the first pavilion to be completely separate from Computer Central. All operations held within the building

GhostlyGoofy

Looking at the Umansky Lawfirm website, they advertise recent criminal case results and seem to do a good job of Getting clients off easy for theft. Granted I don't know if in these other cases the clients completely documented themselves with the stolen merch in photos.

With his smugness if BDD gets off with a slap on the wrist, he'd probably go right back to what he was doing. Though as others have stated there's still a chance Disney can file a civil suit, go for the wallet.

justintheharris

Looking at the Umansky Lawfirm website, they advertise recent criminal case results and seem to do a good job of Getting clients off easy for theft. Granted I don't know if in these other cases the clients completely documented themselves with the stolen merch in photos.
View attachment 374302View attachment 374303
With his smugness if BDD gets off with a slap on the wrist, he'd probably go right back to what he was doing. Though as others have stated there's still a chance Disney can file a civil suit, go for the wallet.
There is judgement that goes into sentencing. The judgewill be considering all his taunts and lack of remorse and the fact that he clearly has no intentions of changing his behavior. He will spend at minimum one year in prison. Possibly more. If not, I will be incredibly surprised and worried for our justice system.

justintheharris

Gotcha.

You seem pretty knowledgeable. Since this case seems to only pertain to the HM props, what do you think are the chances he can be charged with the other incidents? The report mentioned a buyer receiving 18 items from BDD. And would each one be an individual case?
I just read the full affidavit and that buyer (who I will not mention by name until they're arrested) claims he didn't know it was stolen and that Spikes said he had permission from Disney to have it. From this, I can conclude that the buyer is probably guilty of a lot more than Patrick is and is trying to cooperate with the investigations in hopes for immunity. There's no way the buyer didn't know it was stolen and I'm certain he's sold off incredibly valuable items that Spikes sold to him. The buyer only had 18 of the items and I'm willing to bet there's other items that he personally sold off. The charges against Spikes will increase. And I'm willing to bet at least four people will be going to prison in this saga.

justintheharris

Several old DCP coworkers I have still Snapchat me from backstage.
It really depends. Technically no backstage pictures are allowed just to be safe. But if a cast member sends you a selfie from their break room, it's not worth Disney efforts to take action. If the cast members are taking pictures of things to ruin the magic, THAT is where dismissal becomes protocol.

Gringrinngghost

I just read the full affidavit and that buyer (who I will not mention by name until they're arrested) claims he didn't know it was stolen and that Spikes said he had permission from Disney to have it. From this, I can conclude that the buyer is probably guilty of a lot more than Patrick is and is trying to cooperate with the investigations in hopes for immunity. There's no way the buyer didn't know it was stolen and I'm certain he's sold off incredibly valuable items that Spikes sold to him. The buyer only had 18 of the items and I'm willing to bet there's other items that he personally sold off. The charges against Spikes will increase. And I'm willing to bet at least four people will be going to prison in this saga.

Iā€™m sorry, but itā€™s impossible for us to ā€” without the evidence that the OCSO has to fully determine if the buyer that had the 18 times should even be arrested. There needs to be a probable cause for the OCSO to even determine if the buyer of the 18 items would even need to have charges filed against them, which I can say at this juncture that itā€™s unlikely. The buyer as per the affidavit has been cooperating with the OCSO, and would IF charges get filed, they would be to a lesser charge due to the cooperation. Patrick Spikes has proven especially with his actions in the with the affidavit that he is an unreliable person, with the intentional modification of the search warrant to skew the perspective into them bullying him. With that, I do believe that within the burden of proof especially with the lack of documentation that we have which the OCSO has ā€”which again is part of multiple ongoing investigationsā€” that itā€™s unlikely that the buyer knew the items were stolen to begin with. We do not know how they communicated nor if there is an middle man in between them or what was exactly communicated between them. All we know overall is that this person bought merchandise off someone, whom in this case is Patrick Spikes and that in this case, Patrick Spikes represented himself to the buyer as someone who had legally obtained this merchandise, and as learned over time, Patrick Spikes will do anything to anyone to make himself look good such as misrepresentation of legal documents and acting as a victim when there was probable cause to secure his phone to search it given the facts the OCSO had to skew the public opinion. When going forth in your comment, ā€œThere's no way the buyer didn't know it was stolenā€ can be seen even within this context as a potentially uninformed comment, as we can extend that to once was ThemeParkConnection and MouseSurplus, as we have no proof that the items that they sold were stolen as well. All we knew is that outside of the items, that they were being presented as being authorized to have them and thusly can conclude that they had permission to sell them from Disney, at one point ThemeParkConnection sold attraction manuals. So as of this juncture, the buyer being guilty doesnā€™t pass the litmus test. Patrick Spikes gave him an the explanation was plausible, as we know with MouseSurplus and ThemeParkConnection did have Disney merchandise for sale that was legally obtained, that in my opinion the state wonā€™t be able to sustain its burden of proof that the buyer knowingly received stolen property.

GhostlyGoofy

Yeah I find it hard to imagine the Buyer really believed Spikes to be an above the board seller of wdw props. If that were the case the two probably wouldn't have been making transactions in strip mall parking lots.

I mean it's possible, but not very likely. We'll see If he gets his day in court as well.

Last edited:

MickeyMinnieMom

Disney doesn't get any dirt on them for having someone goto jail.... but goliath chases 24yr old kid for tens of thousands of dollars for stealing a wig... that's the kind of narrative Disney avoids.
24 is not a kid. And he built a brand on being antagonistic towards Disney. He constantly demonstrated he knew what he was doing and that it was illicit. He's not some destitute Florida project type living out of a hotel who stole for necessity.
Again... in the age of viral media... the headline and opening paragraph is all that the majority of people see. They don't care if the guy deserved it... they don't care what he did... people see what they want to see and reverberate on that. So headlines about Disney suing some kid for 50k for stealing a wig is all it takes for Disney to look to be the bad guy.

Generally speaking, I totally agree with @flynnibus -- Disney wants to avoid being the big bad prosecutor of the little guy.

But in this case, Spikes is not at all a sympathetic character -- he's an adult (not a kid) from a well-off family who broke his employer's rules, got himself fired, started a well-documented and juvenile vendetta with the company online, and to top it all of stole and sold Disney's property.

What about any of that is sympathetic? And I think it's easy to capture these facts in short soundbites like on Twitter. In this case, I think it would look like Disney following through -- a great example for other losers out there to see. This doesn't speak to what Disney WILL actually choose to do -- just that I think it would be justified (and could EASILY be portrayed as such on social media, etc. -- that they should go after him 100%.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I šŸ‘ you?
Premium Member
Generally speaking, I totally agree with @flynnibus -- Disney wants to avoid being the big bad prosecutor of the little guy.

But in this case, Spikes is not at all a sympathetic character -- he's an adult (not a kid) from a well-off family who broke his employer's rules, got himself fired, started a well-documented and juvenile vendetta with the company online, and to top it all of stole and sold Disney's property.

What about any of that is sympathetic? And I think it's easy to capture these facts in short soundbites like on Twitter. In this case, I think it would look like Disney following through -- a great example for other losers out there to see. This doesn't speak to what Disney WILL actually choose to do -- just that I think it would be justified (and could EASILY be portrayed as such on social media, etc. -- that they should go after him 100%.
Plus, didnā€™t this guy already try the old ā€œskew facts and try to make big, bad Disney and the Sheriffā€™s dept. look like they are conspiring against this poor kid just because he wants to share some photos onlineā€ routine? Didnā€™t gain traction outside of a few likes on his Twitter rants the first time, why would that change when there is even more evidence of way more egregious conduct now?

As CoP dad would say, ā€œdidnā€™t work then; doesnā€™t work now!ā€ šŸ˜‰

0F269A39-B10C-4D0A-B7DE-457722A52F6A.png

Last edited:

GhostlyGoofy

Plus, didnā€™t this guy already try the old ā€œskew facts and try to make big, bad Disney and the Sheriffā€™s dept. look like they are conspiring against this poor kid just because he wants to share some photos onlineā€ routine? Didnā€™t gain traction outside of a few likes on his Twitter rants the first time, why would that change when there is even more evidence of way more egregious conduct now?

As CoP dad would say, ā€œdidnā€™t work then; doesnā€™t work now!ā€ šŸ˜‰

View attachment 374363

:D:D:D
The affidavit does in fact cited that exact YouTube video.

If we're talking pure optics this case is not Davy vs. Goliath.

Its Goliath vs. slightly smaller Goliath who couldn't stop running his mouth and leaving a crater sized Digital footprint.

This Lawfirm is really gonna earn their rate.

wait... people get wifi in jail???
Many people on Twitter said the BDD handle was taken over by a friend. Although that didn't look good and I saw a few news articles even quote those tweets saying BDD was making light of the situation.

Last edited:

My95cobras

View attachment 374302View attachment 374303

You can find these results on any criminal defense website..... they handle thousands of cases and use the best outcomes... some of these are minimum grand theft cases, right over 300 bucks from Walmart with no criminal history or lower pointing felonies. Not knowing his criminal history, how he ā€˜points outā€™ will be interesting for his sentencing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom