Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Its the fear that is more than anything. Disney makes a few examples and pounds the message into workers. The faithful don't want to be fired or blackballed.

It just takes people that have no fear to buck it all...
Several old DCP coworkers I have still Snapchat me from backstage.

GhostlyGoofy

The not guilty plea is fascinating.

Same here.

It's going to be hard for BDD to keep his story straight. And nearly all the evidence was provided by himself and his hubris.

The police report clearly cites a YouTube video where BDD tries to create a narrative that Disney had police raid his home for Phones. Because disney didnt like his pictures. As if media juggernaut was unaware of cloud data or digital storage???

He since scrubbed that video, but since police obviously watched it, it's also quite possible they archived the footage. Along with everything else he threw out into the digital ether.

This is such a fascinating trainwreck.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Disney has no say... This is a criminal case.
That is correct, however, they still have a quite a bit of time to file a civil lawsuit for the stolen goods that he has taken. Even if they all were returned, they would still have a claim for any damages to the items (particularly damages to the animatronic during removal if it is determined in the future to be connected to the same person) or damages incurred from loss of use while they were out of Disney's possession (like if they had to special order new custom suits, dresses, wigs, etc. to replace the stolen HM props in their rotation, which would probably be quite expensive because of the specialization of the craft). It appears that they have a statute of limitations of 5 years to proceed on this from the time the cause of action accrues and that the accrual of that time is suspended during pendency of criminal prosecution (so they are not likely to be required to file a civil suit anytime soon and can take their time lining things up.

Also, the statute related to losses involving theft provides for treble (triple) damages and reasonable attorney fees and costs. I know what my hourly rate is and would suspect their attorneys would probably be at least as much if not more. I suspect all of this will not be cheap for him even aside from the criminal prosecution. Although, I also suspect that before taking the step of filing a civil claim the two parties' lawyers will probably at some point work out a quiet settlement for an undisclosed amount and that we will never ever know about it.

Here's a link to the set of pertinent statutes related to civil remedies for criminal acts if anyone is interested:

Gringrinngghost

Several old DCP coworkers I have still Snapchat me from backstage.

The parks are very leaky in terms of photos or videos from unauthorized areas, HOWEVER it’s usually among friends such as Facebook or trusted groups. Here was the case of someone trying to get seen and make a name for themself. If Patrick Spikes didn’t want to be seen and have people talking about him, to say the least, he wouldn’t have called into Tom coreless’ little podcast that one time, or overall act cocky and have people “meme his mugshot” he wanted his limelight and he got it, and then tired to make an name for himself.

There are two types of people when it comes to the leaks; or as in this case backstage exploration. Ones who want to do it anonymous, and then you have those like Patrick spikes who’s ego got to big to fail or Matt StCyr (sonswa) who put his bloody face and name into his videos.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is correct, however, they still have a quite a bit of time to file a civil lawsuit for the stolen goods that he has taken. Even if they all were returned, they would still have a claim for any damages to the items (particularly damages to the animatronic during removal if it is determined in the future to be connected to the same person) or damages incurred from loss of use while they were out of Disney's possession (like if they had to special order new custom suits, dresses, wigs, etc. to replace the stolen HM props in their rotation). It appears that they have a statute of limitations of 5 years to proceed on this from the time the cause of action accrues and that the accrual of that time is suspended during pendency of criminal prosecution (so they are not likely to be required to file a civil suit anytime soon and can take their time lining things up.

Also, the statute related to losses involving theft provides for treble (triple) damages and reasonable attorney fees and costs. I know what my hourly rate is and would suspect their attorneys would probably be at least as much if not more. I suspect all of this will not be cheap for him even aside from the criminal prosecution. Although, I also suspect that before taking the step of filing a civil claim the two parties' lawyers will probably at some point work out a quiet settlement for an undisclosed amount and that we will never ever know about it.

Here's a link to the set of pertinent statutes related to civil remedies for criminal acts if anyone is interested:

Disney won't even prosecute people who blatantly steal right in front of them in the parks. As long as the kid gets his felonies, I highly doubt Disney will bother with any civil angles. It doesn't fit their MO of avoiding looking like the big evil bully corp at all costs. They'll ban him (as they have), keep his tresspass notice up and remind him of the consequences of repeat felonies in the state of florida.

They only have ground to lose by trying to bankrupt a customer or squeeze them for a trivial settlement on top of the big prize... which is getting felonies to stick and potential jail time.

Disney doesn't get any dirt on them for having someone goto jail.... but goliath chases 24yr old kid for tens of thousands of dollars for stealing a wig... that's the kind of narrative Disney avoids.

GhostlyGoofy

Disney won't even prosecute people who blatantly steal right in front of them in the parks. As long as the kid gets his felonies, I highly doubt Disney will bother with any civil angles. It doesn't fit their MO of avoiding looking like the big evil bully corp at all costs. They'll ban him (as they have), keep his tresspass notice up and remind him of the consequences of repeat felonies in the state of florida.

They only have ground to lose by trying to bankrupt a customer or squeeze them for a trivial settlement on top of the big prize... which is getting felonies to stick and potential jail time.

Disney doesn't get any dirt on them for having someone goto jail.... but goliath chases 24yr old kid for tens of thousands of dollars for stealing a wig... that's the kind of narrative Disney avoids.
24 is not a kid. And he built a brand on being antagonistic towards Disney. He constantly demonstrated he knew what he was doing and that it was illicit. He's not some destitute Florida project type living out of a hotel who stole for necessity.

Considering Disney has gone after Daycares for using copyrighted characters in wall murals, I feel like they'll want to bring a hammer down on BDD. Set an example. Especially if it gets revealed he took an AA out of that park.

Goofyernmost

Someone tweeted a screenshot of the first comment to us so I wanted to come here and respond personally. Apologies for WDWMagic for coming on their board, but I wanted the chance to defend my credibility.

I'm John Gregory, owner and operator of Orlando Rising. I started reporting on Orlando tourism and theme parks for the site in April 2018, when it was a general local news and politics site. It's now totally focused on Orlando theme parks.

As to whether we're trustworthy, I certainly aim to be. I've worked in journalism professionally for more than 8 years, and my goal is to do more responsible and credibly sourced reporting on Orlando parks than some other fan sites (that's in no way directed at WDWMagic), and not focus on promoting the parks or covering every new limited-time snack or piece of merch.

I pursued the Buzzy story like other members of the press did. Everyone from local Orlando TV to the Sentinel to the Associated Press and the more theme park-centric news sites were interested in it.

While plenty of sites reported on the arrest warrant from last week, like I did, I wanted some additional clarification on the Buzzy angle here. There were doubts about whether the arrest warrant was just reflecting what detectives heard at the time, which could fit into the theory that WDI hastily removed Buzzy and any report of it being stolen was made in error. The statement I received today confirms that it's an active investigation and the AA "is stolen," not just rumored to have been stolen.

Hope that answers your question. And apologies again to WDWMagic for coming on this board to talk about my site.
My response was not necessarily a denial of any credibility, it was questioning credibility because all of a sudden I see that Headline from a publication called the Orlando Rising. I have no previous knowledge of existence and only have your word now. I have no reason to not believe you, but, I still don't know enough about you and your publication to give it my undying support of what you are saying. In the world we live in right now, I do not believe anything I read and only half of what I actually see.

I didn't at the time see any reason to just accept that headline, and frankly, I am still somewhat skeptical, but, appreciate your coming on and explaining your place in the puzzle. However, that said, I could come on and say I was King of Egypt. I don't know you and you don't know me. I guess I have no choice but to accept that he was stolen, but, something smells really bad about they entire story. The delay, the fact that Disney didn't publicly say it was stolen, etc. Why would they hold back that information, this wasn't the Lindbergh kidnapping, it was as inanimate an object as the clothing that they did report. Just makes no sense. But, if that is what it was... that that is what it was. I shall officially go back to where I was which was not caring one way or the other. That is between Disney and whomever took it and the police. I don't have a dog in this race.

flynnibus

Premium Member
24 is not a kid. And he built a brand on being antagonistic towards Disney. He constantly demonstrated he knew what he was doing and that it was illicit. He's not some destitute Florida project type living out of a hotel who stole for necessity.

The mass market, viral media world knows none of that and won't care. Disney would have to play catchup.. and you never win those fights. Best just to not have it at all. Let the news talk about a conviction/arrest... not about "Disney files suit..."

Impressions, perceptions, and beliefs are more important than facts and facts don't matter when you're dealing with public opinion. So you try to stay out of that fight all together. The kid will already have his life kicked pretty hard if he gets multiple felony convictions... Disney will sit back and smile from that.

Last edited:

Demarke

Premium Member

Could be, I'm sure they will try to do things discreetly by issuing a demand letter from their lawyers to his and avoid having any civil action formally filed in court, but I would be very surprised if they just totally decided not to seek some damages for their losses. They are already in a situation where he is being prosecuted criminally, why not throw a civil action in the mix?

This isn't some teenager experimenting with shoplifting pins from a park kiosk, this is a 24 year old adult who utilized his knowledge as a park employee to hatch plans to create false identification cards, and costumes, and coordinated an effort to take himself and at least one other individual into restricted areas and convert property valued in excess of $8000 to his own possession and then fence them on the apparently underground collector network for upwards of $29,000. Who knows if these reports are only the tip of the iceberg. Plus, he's been very publicly been taunting Disney and releasing images and content from restricted areas, to include release of what may be confidential work product (MMRRR plans).

Again, I could be wrong, but I think their concerns over sympathy for this guy are not quite what you imagine them to be.

Goofyernmost

I'm thinking it may be because it is a bigger deal/higher profile theft than stealing AA clothing. If Buzzy's headphones, coat and hat were ~$6000, I can't imagine how much the whole AA is worth.
What good would having an AA do anyone, especially if someone thinks of it as a prize. Who can they show it too. How do that keep something like that a secret to the point of not being involved in willful purchase of stolen property. Something is stinking to the high heavens in my mind.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
The police report clearly cites a YouTube video where BDD tries to create a narrative that Disney had police raid his home for Phones. Because disney didnt like his pictures. As if media juggernaut was unaware of cloud data or digital storage???

He since scrubbed that video, but since police obviously watched it, it's also quite possible they archived the footage. Along with everything else he threw out into the digital ether.

YouTube could still have the video, and the police could just get a warrant for all videos uploaded (including private and unlisted) to any accounts he or his accomplice may have had.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Could be, I'm sure they will try to do things discreetly by issuing a demand letter from their lawyers to his and avoid having any civil action formally filed in court, but I would be very surprised if they just totally decided not to seek some damages for their losses. They are already in a situation where he is being prosecuted criminally, why not throw a civil action in the mix?

This isn't some teenager experimenting with shoplifting pins from a park kiosk, this is a 24 year old adult who utilized his knowledge as a park employee to hatch plans to create false identification cards, and costumes, and coordinated an effort to take himself and at least one other individual into restricted areas and convert property valued in excess of $8000 to his own possession and then fence them on the apparently underground collector network for upwards of $29,000. Who knows if these reports are only the tip of the iceberg. Plus, he's been very publicly been taunting Disney and releasing images and content from restricted areas, to include release of what may be confidential work product (MMRRR plans).

Again, I could be wrong, but I think their concerns over sympathy for this guy are not quite what you imagine them to be.

Again... in the age of viral media... the headline and opening paragraph is all that the majority of people see. They don't care if the guy deserved it... they don't care what he did... people see what they want to see and reverberate on that. So headlines about Disney suing some kid for 50k for stealing a wig is all it takes for Disney to look to be the bad guy.

Facts don't matter when dealing with emotional responses. When some black guy is getting held on the ground on some video... that's all people need to see or hear to get wound up... no one bothers to look up why, who he is, or whatever before they've made their emotional response to the story. That's the reality is the majority of idiots on the web... and websites target that. Stories are written to invoke an emotional response and hook into beliefs... not cover facts and consequences.

Disney is not a shark... they are very calculated when they decide to take a stand. Look at the segway case... that's an example where Disney crossed over into defending their stance in the public eye... same with the DAS/ADA issues. Very tall standards before Disney would go and fight back... or be on the offensive.

As for Disney being concerned about the black market... they have a far bigger mountain to climb internally before they could even think about trying to squash the outside dealing. The parks are still basically an unlocked house with the welcome mat on the stoop.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
but I would be very surprised if they just totally decided not to seek some damages for their losses. They are already in a situation where he is being prosecuted criminally, why not throw a civil action in the mix?

This is what restitution is for, and criminal courts handle this. Unless this involves leaking of patents or trade secrets, I don’t believe civil action will come about. Who knows?

Demarke

Premium Member
Again... in the age of viral media... the headline and opening paragraph is all that the majority of people see. They don't care if the guy deserved it... they don't care what he did... people see what they want to see and reverberate on that. So headlines about Disney suing some kid for 50k for stealing a wig is all it takes for Disney to look to be the bad guy.

Facts don't matter when dealing with emotional responses. When some black guy is getting held on the ground on some video... that's all people need to see or hear to get wound up... no one bothers to look up why, who he is, or whatever before they've made their emotional response to the story. That's the reality is the majority of idiots on the web... and websites target that. Stories are written to invoke an emotional response and hook into beliefs... not cover facts and consequences.

Disney is not a shark... they are very calculated when they decide to take a stand. Look at the segway case... that's an example where Disney crossed over into defending their stance in the public eye... same with the DAS/ADA issues. Very tall standards before Disney would go and fight back... or be on the offensive.

As for Disney being concerned about the black market... they have a far bigger mountain to climb internally before they could even think about trying to squash the outside dealing. The parks are still basically an unlocked house with the welcome mat on the stoop.
I think we may have to agree to disagree, either way, we'll probably never know if a confidential settlement is reached or whether it was just dropped anyway (and none of us will probably remember or care, if we were able to dig up information in a few years to determine one way or another).

In other news, I was taking a look at the twitter archive account (@BDDarchive) and remembered this old post from his account. I didn't question it originally, because who would be stupid enough to post something they shouldn't be in possession of from an attraction on social media for the world to see, but if the actions described in the police report are true, I wouldn't be surprised by anything with this guy now:

Given the recent revelations and that he simply gave away this prop for free, I wonder how much stuff he has from Jungle Cruise or other attractions around the parks that he'll have to come up with an explanation for!

GhostlyGoofy

This is what restitution is for, and criminal courts handle this. Unless this involves leaking of patents or trade secrets, I don’t believe civil action will come about. Who knows?

His podcast he reveals details about Mickeys RR.

And this is all Hypothetical but IF he did fence Buzzy. Would Buzzy be considered Patented Proprietary property of Disney? I mean it's not like he came out of a kit.

What if a competitor of Disney got their hands on Buzzy and reverse engineered him? That could be like Popeyes getting the colonel's secret recipe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom