Making the TTA (WEDway) Major League

Voxel

President of Progress City
Just started learning the Unreal gaming engine and how it works as far as coding goes. This was suggested by an online friend and fellow 3d modeler. Debating if Unity is a better choice. My coding skills are ancient. The reason for getting involved with either of them is simply that they would allow me the most options for control of the environment and precision. In short I set the rules for my own “gaming environment” in order to do my modeling in the way I want.
So that is a hard one. I don't know how to use Unreal Engine at all, but I'm currently developing a prototype in Unity too see if this game Idera is fun before Spending the energy really developing it. Unity has come a LONG way and is a fairly capable engine. I'm far from an expert but I would be willing to give advice and coding help in unity if you decided to go in that direction.

Skipper2

Original Poster
So that is a hard one. I don't know how to use Unreal Engine at all, but I'm currently developing a prototype in Unity too see if this game Idera is fun before Spending the energy really developing it. Unity has come a LONG way and is a fairly capable engine. I'm far from an expert but I would be willing to give advice and coding help in unity if you decided to go in that direction.
One of my biggest issues is not getting stuck in a subscription system of any nature in the future. From what I'm reading some Unity stuff is pay to purchase/use but the actual "personal not for profit code/engine is free" and that Unreal is almost completely free with the exception of being able to prurchase 3rd party apps that meet your needs if you cant't or don't want to make them yourself "in-game". My current dilema is doing ANOTHER re-start of the MK into a new "program". Whichever I pick I am going to try to stick with permanently. Even if it loses all support going forward. I would actually prefer a setup where everything resides on my own PC's and server with the net being required at all. Don't get me wrong I wan't a strong online community to contribute to and to draw from but I don't want server authentication to get in the way of me accessing my stuff. I'm going to do some more research on pros and cons of both progs before I pick.

Voxel

One of my biggest issues is not getting stuck in a subscription system of any nature in the future. From what I'm reading some Unity stuff is pay to purchase/use but the actual "personal not for profit code/engine is free" and that Unreal is almost completely free with the exception of being able to prurchase 3rd party apps that meet your needs if you cant't or don't want to make them yourself "in-game". My current dilema is doing ANOTHER re-start of the MK into a new "program". Whichever I pick I am going to try to stick with permanently. Even if it loses all support going forward. I would actually prefer a setup where everything resides on my own PC's and server with the net being required at all. Don't get me wrong I wan't a strong online community to contribute to and to draw from but I don't want server authentication to get in the way of me accessing my stuff. I'm going to do some more research on pros and cons of both progs before I pick.
100% Understandable. So I can't speak for Unreal engine, but Unity has been adding more and more to the free side of things. You can keep everything local and do all the building, deployment, etc without connection to internet. In terms of paying unity, the software is free until you make 100,000 dollars in sales at which point you get to pay them a percentage. The subscription form of unity, provides support, potentially networking support for Online Games, online building/deployment tools, the ability to create your own splash screen. I believe for what you intend, the free version is perfectly fine.

My unity setup is entirely local, I maintain my code and model base on a local server in my house and use git to push and pull. So as long as your don't giving ppl access to that server it should be safe.

Voxel

No plan to ever make money as a game. As a youtuber? Who knows? Thats up to how popular a 3d video of the TTA going around the MK is going to be. lol. I'm sure it will get a gazillion hits in the first minute.
Haha no offense, but if your making 100K a year on your TTA Youtube videos I think you can afford the $25 dollar a month fee :p

How difficult is it to do model imports into Unity?
It use to be very difficult to do, but I believe it's gotten alot easier in the last few years. In fact they have a great guide on how to do it.

I'm assuming your still using Sketchup? If you using something else the process might be different but the links on the above page should provide details for all of them.

Skipper2

Original Poster
Yes, the bulk of my work and my collection of other people’s work comes from SketchUp. I am going to be taking a look and trying the interface for both UE4 and Unity. Set up an environment and see which one is actually easier for my style and level of ability. Both are far above what I actually need graphically. Tools and 3d modeling is where I need to measure them. This is going to take a little while to figure out. I may run two small side by side projects to see which works best for me. The idea of having an “Open World “ environment or at least something the size of WDW in virtual that I can manage all the parameters is really appealing. If the guys on reddit figure out how to unpack and export out of planet coaster then I would be really set. Import all my work from all sources into Unity/UE4 that way all I’m not actually restarting from near zero. My own custom “game” UI that I can make open to anyone here in our wdwmagic.com imagineer forums to explore and use in challenges would be the end goal after the TTA is up and running.

Voxel

Yes, the bulk of my work and my collection of other people’s work comes from SketchUp. I am going to be taking a look and trying the interface for both UE4 and Unity. Set up an environment and see which one is actually easier for my style and level of ability. Both are far above what I actually need graphically. Tools and 3d modeling is where I need to measure them. This is going to take a little while to figure out. I may run two small side by side projects to see which works best for me. The idea of having an “Open World “ environment or at least something the size of WDW in virtual that I can manage all the parameters is really appealing. If the guys on reddit figure out how to unpack and export out of planet coaster then I would be really set. Import all my work from all sources into Unity/UE4 that way all I’m not actually restarting from near zero. My own custom “game” UI that I can make open to anyone here in our wdwmagic.com imagineer forums to explore and use in challenges would be the end goal after the TTA is up and running.
I'm curious to how those models are saved in planet coaster. IN theory we should be able to export them.. HMM Need to downlaod some mods and see what the file structure is like.

Skipper2

Original Poster
I'm curious to how those models are saved in planet coaster. IN theory we should be able to export them.. HMM Need to downlaod some mods and see what the file structure is like.
The boys on reddit are having fits trying to figure out the compression algorithm used by the game. The have found the files. Just haven’t cracked what math is used. It’s just a matter of time.

Skipper2

Original Poster
Temporary bridge into ADL from Hub installed, permanent bridge from ADL to the TTA station installed. Jungle Cruise cue bldg installed, Swiss Family & Adventureland Marquee installed. Updated on the STEAM PLANCO WORKSHOP TTA WIP. Give it a try if you have a tough PC.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

Looks great, but it may take people out of the theming of the rest of the park. Because WEDway is seen as a futuristic way of traveling. This is the main reason why they are hiding the railroad in Tron concept art. Because they are totally different themes, an old steam engine and a futuristic land.

It would have made complete sense in Epcot's Futureworld section. But unfortunately the original plans for it never came to be.

Skipper2

Original Poster
Looks great, but it may take people out of the theming of the rest of the park. Because WEDway is seen as a futuristic way of traveling. This is the main reason why they are hiding the railroad in Tron concept art. Because they are totally different themes, an old steam engine and a futuristic land.

It would have made complete sense in Epcot's Futureworld section. But unfortunately the original plans for it never came to be.
Take a look at the page post with the frontierland station from my earlier work. I will be able to re - skin the exterior of the TTA to make it look like a good fit without to much trouble thanks to the fact that while it is in the walking guest part of the land it will be elevated up with the RR station and hidden going through splash mtn. The rest of the time in Frontierland is in territory only traversed by the train so so themed exterior and vegetation to separate them should accomplish most of the camouflage. Hopefully. We'll see how it goes as I work around that way. I will be winding it around and behind the jungle cruise in the Planet Coaster Game model over the next few days. I will be re-coloring and applying a jungle theme to the tta for that area. If this actually goes as I think it should you probably won't be able to see the TTA at all from the JC without looking behind you while on the boat. That is the idea anyway.

Skipper2

Original Poster

But on another note I have a plan for adding the TTA to EPCOT as well.
Please fling darts at the project, I like either finding the solution or creating them if I can't find it. The more problems brought up the more "real and plausible" this project becomes as I incorporate the solutions into the 3d model.

Skipper2

Original Poster
Updated the WIP TTA in the WORKSHOP on Steam. Here are latest images. Completed Swiss Family Robinson, loaded Skipper Canteen, done except for the glass roof. Reworked Jungle Cruise walkways and load building. Found so many good models to add. If you can get the game, do so. You really can build Disney. You can find models to build any section of any Disney park. If have a really heavy duty PC you can try to build an entire park (It will take years). Either way it is fun to be able to make Disney the way you want it to be. The game isn't cheap but it is fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom