Making the Most of Christmas -> New Years Week

Hi all! Going on a rather impromptu trip next week that I just found out about and I'm looking for advice. I know this time of year is the highest as far as crowds, so does anyone who has been during the week of New Years have any advice to make the most of the parks while they're packed with people? We have Fastpass+ set up and several dining reservations, but is there a day flow plan that worked for you that you can recommend?

KeithVH

First of all, my condolences to you. Part of your trip success depends on how laid back your group will be with crowds. Accept it'll be a madhouse before you leave and you'll have a good headstart.

Regardless of park, a technique that works well is to either go rope drop early and/or close the park. I'd be outta any park by 11-12 latest and would show up again only 2-3 hours before closing. This should minimize your exposure to the maddening crowds. The problem with this strategy is phased closings. Guess it depends on how badly you need to experience the fireworks in the parks.

NYE is a crapshoot no matter what though.
  • Epcot is scheduled to be open until 1a on New Year’s Eve
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios until midnight for the general public, and 2a for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests
  • Magic Kingdom is currently scheduled to be open until 1a, but likely will be open until 2a
  • The Magic Kingdom has Wishes at 8.30p and special New Year’s Eve fireworks at 11.50p
  • Epcot has its Illuminations fireworks show at 6.30p and 11.40p, plus DJs in various pavilions.
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios will have fireworks at midnight
I've heard DHS has the best NYE fireworks but I think Epcot has a larger area to disperse people and seem less crowded.

Upvote 0

Princess_Minnie

Original Poster
First of all, my condolences to you. Part of your trip success depends on how laid back your group will be with crowds. Accept it'll be a madhouse before you leave and you'll have a good headstart.

Regardless of park, a technique that works well is to either go rope drop early and/or close the park. I'd be outta any park by 11-12 latest and would show up again only 2-3 hours before closing. This should minimize your exposure to the maddening crowds. The problem with this strategy is phased closings. Guess it depends on how badly you need to experience the fireworks in the parks.

NYE is a crapshoot no matter what though.
  • Epcot is scheduled to be open until 1a on New Year’s Eve
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios until midnight for the general public, and 2a for Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests
  • Magic Kingdom is currently scheduled to be open until 1a, but likely will be open until 2a
  • The Magic Kingdom has Wishes at 8.30p and special New Year’s Eve fireworks at 11.50p
  • Epcot has its Illuminations fireworks show at 6.30p and 11.40p, plus DJs in various pavilions.
  • Disney’s Hollywood Studios will have fireworks at midnight
I've heard DHS has the best NYE fireworks but I think Epcot has a larger area to disperse people and seem less crowded.

We're planning on DHS for NYE because we don't want to even try the crowds at MK or Epcot. And we aren't even going to MK until New Years Day. Otherwise we're trying to stick to the parks that might be less crowded. Opening AK on NYE hoping that it won't be as crazy as Epcot or MK.

My family just went in the summer and we crammed attractions then, so we aren't quite as concerned about getting all the rides done, just taking in the atmosphere and the food mostly. My parents planned the trip and surprised my sister and I with it knowing that this is a crazy time of year to go.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom