Making my zookeeper dream come true

Aletheas

Original Poster
Hi there! This is my first time posting but I’ll try my best to do this right. I’m currently in college getting an associates in zoology. I’ll be done in a year and I’ve been volunteering at palm beach zoo in Florida for about a year now. It’s always been my dream to work for Disney and the thought of being a zookeeper there makes me tear up because it’s something I’m so passionate about. I just recently found out that in order to even be considered I’d have to have a PAID experience at palm beach zoo and my volunteering basically doesn’t amount to anything. I’m thinking about attempting to see if the zoo needs anything that I could get paid for but if they say no I don’t know what I should do being as it has to be an AZA credited facility so my options are very limited. I’m 20 and people say I’m young which, I know, but I feel like I’m wasting every day I’m not out there helping or caring for animals. Why I’m telling you all this is because I want to know, am I doing this right? What should I do to make sure I have a great, if not, the best chance at getting the job when the opportunity arises? And lastly are there any entry level positions I could possibly apply for when I get my A.A. in a year and possibly work my way up to a zookeeper?

Aletheas

Original Poster
Hi there! This is my first time posting but I’ll try my best to do this right. I’m currently in college getting an associates in zoology. I’ll be done in a year and I’ve been volunteering at palm beach zoo in Florida for about a year now. It’s always been my dream to work for Disney and the thought of being a zookeeper there makes me tear up because it’s something I’m so passionate about. I just recently found out that in order to even be considered I’d have to have a PAID experience at palm beach zoo and my volunteering basically doesn’t amount to anything. I’m thinking about attempting to see if the zoo needs anything that I could get paid for but if they say no I don’t know what I should do being as it has to be an AZA credited facility so my options are very limited. I’m 20 and people say I’m young which, I know, but I feel like I’m wasting every day I’m not out there helping or caring for animals. Why I’m telling you all this is because I want to know, am I doing this right? What should I do to make sure I have a great, if not, the best chance at getting the job when the opportunity arises? And lastly are there any entry level positions I could possibly apply for when I get my A.A. in a year and possibly work my way up to a zookeeper?
I just realized I never specified. My dream would be to work as a zookeeper in animal kingdom. But I’d be willing to accept any animal caretaking job I could find at Disney.

lazyboy97o

Honestly, the best thing you can do is break your obsession with Disney. Too many people pass up good opportunities and make themselves miserable because they are too singularly focused on Disney. The days of starting at one company and staying for decades are largerly gone, not getting a job at Disney right after college doesn’t mean you will never work there. Join the AZA as a student member and get involved, there are a number of member facilities in Florida that can all potentially provide that start.

Aletheas

Original Poster
Honestly, the best thing you can do is break your obsession with Disney. Too many people pass up good opportunities and make themselves miserable because they are too singularly focused on Disney. The days of starting at one company and staying for decades are largerly gone, not getting a job at Disney right after college doesn’t mean you will never work there. Join the AZA as a student member and get involved, there are a number of member facilities in Florida that can all potentially provide that start.
Thanks for your response! I understand your concern and I’m totally head over heels for Disney but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t pass up an opportunity somewhere else. I just know the people on here could offer good info for me so I was hoping I could get some advice. I’ll look into becoming a member of AZA but as of right now I don’t have the money to join them. Thanks again:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom