Trip Report Making Lemonade out of Lemons Fractal Family Trip Report - Completed

I think we can all agree that so far 2020 has been one big sour lemon.

For those that did not read my Pre-Trip report; my entire family (Val-wife, Alex - oldest daughter, Sterg - son, Toni - youngest daughter) has recovered from the Covid-19 virus. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni got it in March and Alex in April while working as a nurse. Val had it worse with a fever for a couple days and flu like symptoms for about a week. The rest of us were either asymptomatic or had minor symptoms.

Add to that the mental stress of living in a society dealing with this pandemic, Toni missing out on a big chunk of her High School Senior Year and her last dance recital (where she was going to take on a major role as Jasmine), work reductions for Sterg and high stress work conditions for Alex on the front line. Yes, 2020 has sure been one big sourpuss.

But, as the saying goes; "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

It just so happened that last year I made a reservation to attend the annual AHEPA convention in Walt Disney World, just as I did in 2017. We were going to stay at the Grand Destino Towers but that seemed very much in jeopardy when AHEPA (which is a charitable organization I'm involved with. Like a Greek version of the Knights of Columbus or Lions Club.) cancelled their convention. Soon after however, I received an email that Disney would honor our reservation in July. This was pretty tempting since we had convention rates and discounts on tickets. Long story short, we decided to go. We felt that having already had the virus gave us an extra level of protection and we knew that Disney would handle the health risks properly. In addition, we later found out that our rooms were moved from Grand Destino to the Contemporary in order to accommodate the LA Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks. Sterg's and my dream of playing Marco Polo with the Greek Freak and LeBron James in the pool were quickly dashed. But who could say no to staying at The Contemporary for $175 a night?

We were a go! It was frustrating however because although we had a resort reservation we did not have park tickets. We also didn't have a "park pass" which was needed during this reopening of WDW. We had to wait for all that to open and I had serious doubts it would by the time our first day at the resort (July 20th) rolled around. I decided to book flights without tickets or park passes. Southwest had roundtrip flights from Philly to Orlando for $90 plus if you had to cancel you got that credit for a future flight. No brainer. This was turning out to be the cheapest Disney trip we have taken as a family! Soon after I was open to buy tickets and book Park Passes. We had started to squeeze that lemon and add it's juice to our pitcher of cold water.

Now for the Cast of our adventure.

Myself - Chris/Fractal. A lover of Disney Parks for the many memories it has given me over the years with my family, the way it helps me completely unwind from my job, and how it taps into my creative side and challenges my skills as a photographer.

Here I am with my crazy kids at Christmas.

MVIMG_20191224_220836-XL.jpg

Val - my beautiful wife. Not the biggest fan of Disney but in the end she was on board. I think secretly she likes it more than she lets on. I will make it up to her with a trip more to her liking.

Here she is with Alex.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180816202048133_COVER-XL.jpg

Alex - our oldest. Now a traveling nurse. Alex is like me in many ways but as she's getting older and more responsible I'm starting to see her take on a number of Val's traits. She's a good mix and always a delight to be with.

From a trip to Colorado we took last year;

DSC00630-XL.jpg

Sterg, aka Fractal Jr. One word to describe Sterg - catalyst - he just makes things happen. He creates reactions both good and bad. He graduated last year from Penn State. He was a captain on the Swim Team but not without drama. He had to miss his promising senior year of swimming when a series of concussions (all outside the water) forced him to medically retire. PSU handled it very well as he helped the team from the sidelines. He now works as a digital marketing consultant as well as helping his cousin get his music career off the ground. Never a dull moment when Sterg is around!

with our dog Prince (Charming).

20200706-DSC06336-X2.jpg

Toni - For long time readers of my reports you know that Toni and I have a special Disney connection. Many times she would be the only one up early with me to tackle the parks at opening. We have had many great adventures together in the Disney bubble. She's now technically an adult (how did that happen?) so I was going to find out this trip if the magic was still there. She's going to attend Clemson University starting next month and I couldn't be prouder.

Toni in front of the Theater her Recital was supposed to perform at.

20200616-DSC05993-X3.jpg

So Covid-19 made our family suffer in many ways, but we took that lemon, squeezed it's juice out into our water pitcher, now we just needed a little Disney sugar to make our Lemonade complete.

Coming up - Our trip begins with a WDW meet-up before our flight even leaves the ground!

fractal

Original Poster
continuing through SSE..

20200723-DSC09618-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09619-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09622-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09625-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09626-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09630-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09633-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09634-X3.jpg

Toni was impressed by this...

20200723-DSC09635-X3.jpg

Going down...

20200723-DSC09638-X3.jpg

"I really liked that ride." Toni admitted.

She was upset to hear that it was scheduled to be replaced.

The "post show" was sadly shutdown and completely empty. Where did everyone go?

We both thought it was sad and a little creepy.

20200723-DSC09639-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09640-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09642-X3.jpg

With Ponchos on we decided to grab lunch and catch a quick flight...

fractal

Original Poster
Those walls again.

20200723-DSC09645-X3.jpg

Quick photo opportunity.

Toni asked about The Seas. She doesn't remember going through the pavilion. It had been a long time as we haven't visited there during our last few trips. We decided to change that later.

20200723-DSC09649-X3.jpg

Before long we made it to The Land.

20200723-DSC09651-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09652-X3.jpg

We placed our lunch order for Sunshine Seasons, and grabbed a spot to sit. While waiting to be notified our food was ready I decide to take some photos.

Shooting straight up.

20200723-DSC09653-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09654-X3.jpg

Then I almost literally bumping into some more "magicians" - @blreinsel , @wishes2013 and their friend were on their way to or from Soarin' (if my memory is correct)!

I was a bit embarrassed standing there shooting photos straight up in the sky but they were all very nice and we exchanged pleasantries despite all the Covid awkwardness.

Of course I had to get a selfie of myself with the lovely ladies. They had much cooler masks that I did.

IMG_20200723_140339-X3.jpg

I then picked up our lunch and found Toni.

We both enjoyed our meals!

IMG_20200723_142109-X2.jpg

Some fish-eye shots...

20200723-DSC09657-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09659-X3.jpg

Next I decided to check in with our Global libation seekers.

Sterg arrived on the scene and Alex was sounding very happy! In fact they all were.

Screenshot_20200827-140459~2-M.png

Screenshot_20200827-140533~2-L.png

I gave Alex the following bit of Yoda advise...

Well actually I didn't say that. I did say "Looks like fun, but can we just make sure you don't get kicked out of Epcot?"
She laughed at that. Alex was telling us how rough of a week she had at work so this trip was very therapeutic for her. As long as it wasn't too therapeutic.

Toni then reminded me it was time to board!

20200723-DSC09660-X3.jpg

UP NEXT - Air and Sea/ Things start to go downhill for our drinkers/ Another WDW meetup!

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Love those SSE pictures! It was nice to actually see some of the details in the garage computer scene through your pictures! I also liked your pictures of the underside of the hot air balloons in the land, neat perspective. I am also curious about the side story of the drinking around the world. A friend and I did that a few years ago, we kind of cheated because in some places we shared beverages, but we still had enough to get happy and sneak into the Biergarten to polka on the dance floor!

DouglasE

So after just discovering your trip report, I've got a few reactions. Just a few ;).

I agree with you about the paint job on Cinderella's castle. But I believe they needed to make it more vibrant because that Orlando sun will bleach it out after a few months. I bet it will look better come the new year.

I think Toni shot an awesome picture of you and Val at "Be Our Guest".

I'm thinking about getting the Pixel 5 phone when it comes out. From what I read it is supposed to be around October. I just can not see pending over $1,000 on a phone. That is what the flagship phones from Apple and Samsung seem to run these days.

Since you are a Star Wars fan, if you check out my latest trip report see what you think about my take on Galaxy's Edge.

Mentioning Courtney going to Drexel reminds me that normally this time of year I am playing in a sand volleyball league on Drexel's campus. Did I mention I'm not the craziest fan about this pandemic thing?

I met up with someone that I have "known" for over 15 years from a Disney board on my last trip. They can be great friendships. We actually have met up outside of Walt Disney World. Last time was hanging out at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and then cocktails at The View Lounge at the Times Square Marriott Marquis. Hanging out with Disney friends at WDW adds something to your trip. My friend Keith (who was my travel companion on my last trip) was shocked when he discovered she goes to Walt Disney World about four times a year. In my world, I didn't find that at all unusual.

Oh I miss Rehoboth beach! Unlike you, I have not had the virus yet so I'm not venturing out. I don't trust others to do what they need to do.

Was anyone teasing you about chasing waterfalls in Pandora? No? TLC, anyone? Just me?

I find the interactions you describe with your family fantastic. There is nothing like an inside joke with your family. To this day various things will trigger quotes from "Young Frankenstein" in my family.

It was kind of funny how coachjr and fractaljr look like they could be brothers. Or is it I'm getting old and all young people look alike to me?

Finally, I completely agree with the rest of the wdwmagic community in my admiration for your photography skills. They are a real treat. I don't know why Val would be confused by taking a photograph of a stool ;).

Looking forward to your next installment. I know how much time and effort your trip reports must take considering all the photographs that you incorporate.

Ghostdog

LOL! I showed that to Toni and she says "Hi Old Navy Credit Cards saying Hi". I think we need therapy.

I absolutely love that you have something this special with your family. We too have a few family vacation items we started with our kiddos when they were young and still to this day when we’re all together we use them. ❤️💕💖💜💝❤️

Whenever we’re having tons of fun, our go to chant is “Woohoo Cheeze balls”

Whenever one of us gets separated in a crowd and we hear “Caw Caw” we know which direction to look for the others (but NEVER “Caw Caw” back until we’ve identified the rest of the family in the crowd).

Tink86

I agree with everyone! Your SSE pictures are amazing. I thought it was a refurbishment but they are replacing it???? Now I'm bummed.
I did Mission: Space for the first time in 2019...the orange side I think, the less intense one. It wasn't bad and I would do it again.
I said Art Smith's but the name is officially Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'. It's across from Morimoto. They have fantastic fried chicken.
I've heard of the drinking around the world. I believe that will be a goal of mine too next year! :) Cindy

docdebbi

Thanks Fractal.
I haven't been to this site in months, I just can't......too depressing. We had to cancel, my brother had to cancel.....just boo!

It is a quiet day at work and thought I'd check if any of my "friends" (you know, the ones I think of as friends even though I've never met them), have gone to WDW during this mess.
And up pops your report with great photos that made me feel a whole lot better.
So glad you had such a good experience, glad someone is brave enough and crazy enough to go during this.

And BTW, as a fellow Philadelphian is that the Wawa goose I see on your masks?

Spash007

Sorry, had a lot to catch up on!

On your Kona dinner - we ran into a very similar situation last week. Our waitress was awful - placing our order was like pulling teeth and when she brought our drinks, she literally dropped the silverware on the table and very aggressively pushed our drinks towards us. The food though was delicious, and actually thanks to me reading your post the day before, I ordered the steak which was delicious. So thank you!

In AK - was it the Kungaloosh you were looking for near Everest? I actually went up to the snack stand attached to the bar, where I'm pretty sure I've gotten it in the past, and was told that because the bar was closed, they couldn't give me one. It was very weird since they had their own beer on the menu.

Also - I'm afraid to comment on Sterg's short short choice. I normally consider myself still youngish (32), but reading on your commentary, I realize I'm fully in dad mode now. I'll gladly wear a pair of cargo shorts before I show that much leg 🤣

And of course I'm enjoying all your photos. The ones of Sunshine Seasons looking up is a really great perspective!

slipperalwaysfits

I'm just catching up on everything after being away for a week. I can't believe how empty AK was for you! How many times did you ride Everest that day? I lost count! Your photos are wonderful and it's so great you have so many and write TR's so you can look back on wonderful memories with your family!

I love how Toni is your early-morning buddy, what fun memories! I can understand how Val feels like she exposed her kids to Disney and wanted to move on. My hubby grew up going there, I fell in love with it through him. I'm sure there are many other places to take a young family, and I'm sure we will have other adventures besides Disney but it's so nice to know we have a Disney home with DVC now.

I think some of my favorite Disney memories are the impromptu ones, which makes dinner with @coachwnh and family special. Of course, it sounds like you all made the most of it and enjoyed the lively sing along and camaraderie with friends.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I know you're sick of hearing this, but your photos are outstanding!!! :happy:

Particularly liked your comment about the lighting in SSE, for that first group of photos. Lighting is critically important to a theme, and I never really thought much about it (even though I've been on SSE so many times over the years). But, that's why you're the professional photographer, and I'm just a rank amateur! :p

P.S.: Bummer that the post-show was closed, but I guess they were trying to discourage people from congregating in there -- might be hard to social distance groups.

Songbird76

I agree with everyone! Your SSE pictures are amazing. I thought it was a refurbishment but they are replacing it???? Now I'm bummed.
I did Mission: Space for the first time in 2019...the orange side I think, the less intense one. It wasn't bad and I would do it again.
I said Art Smith's but the name is officially Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'. It's across from Morimoto. They have fantastic fried chicken.
I've heard of the drinking around the world. I believe that will be a goal of mine too next year! :) Cindy
It is just a refurbishment, but it is a pretty intense one, though it's been postponed indefinitely now, so who knows if and when it will happen. But it wouldn't be a completely different attraction. They would update the scenes, add some new ones, and there would be a different narration added. So new and different, but not a complete replacement.

fractal

Original Poster
commentary is spot on :happy:

👍
Your pictures of SSE are absolutely beautiful!!!

Thank you!
I can hear the music in the SSE pictures. ❤

:) thanks! makes me smile!
Love those SSE pictures! It was nice to actually see some of the details in the garage computer scene through your pictures! I also liked your pictures of the underside of the hot air balloons in the land, neat perspective. I am also curious about the side story of the drinking around the world. A friend and I did that a few years ago, we kind of cheated because in some places we shared beverages, but we still had enough to get happy and sneak into the Biergarten to polka on the dance floor!

Lol! That's funny! They didn't sneak into any place (at least that I know of) but there was a some "drama".

Thanks - there are a lot of details in that garage photo. I was looking over it the other day.

fractal

Original Poster
So after just discovering your trip report, I've got a few reactions. Just a few ;).

I agree with you about the paint job on Cinderella's castle. But I believe they needed to make it more vibrant because that Orlando sun will bleach it out after a few months. I bet it will look better come the new year.

Agree!

I think Toni shot an awesome picture of you and Val at "Be Our Guest".

Thank you!

I'm thinking about getting the Pixel 5 phone when it comes out. From what I read it is supposed to be around October. I just can not see pending over $1,000 on a phone. That is what the flagship phones from Apple and Samsung seem to run these days.

I really like my Pixel 3. Once you get used to android it does everything I need it to do plus keeps $500 in my pocket vs. an I phone. The camera is fantastic!

Since you are a Star Wars fan, if you check out my latest trip report see what you think about my take on Galaxy's Edge.

I will do that!

Mentioning Courtney going to Drexel reminds me that normally this time of year I am playing in a sand volleyball league on Drexel's campus. Did I mention I'm not the craziest fan about this pandemic thing?

So many things we used to take for granted are gone this year. Hopefully it ends soon.

I met up with someone that I have "known" for over 15 years from a Disney board on my last trip. They can be great friendships. We actually have met up outside of Walt Disney World. Last time was hanging out at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and then cocktails at The View Lounge at the Times Square Marriott Marquis. Hanging out with Disney friends at WDW adds something to your trip. My friend Keith (who was my travel companion on my last trip) was shocked when he discovered she goes to Walt Disney World about four times a year. In my world, I didn't find that at all unusual.

It was great to hookup with WDW people - really added to our trip!

Oh I miss Rehoboth beach! Unlike you, I have not had the virus yet so I'm not venturing out. I don't trust others to do what they need to do.

I can understand. Just don't go stir-crazy!

Was anyone teasing you about chasing waterfalls in Pandora? No? TLC, anyone? Just me?

Lol! I like that! That would have been a great Trip Report title!

I find the interactions you describe with your family fantastic. There is nothing like an inside joke with your family. To this day various things will trigger quotes from "Young Frankenstein" in my family.

Thanks! We've had a few of these over the years. This one has had the most staying power. In fact I talked about it in my 2015 report!

It was kind of funny how coachjr and fractaljr look like they could be brothers. Or is it I'm getting old and all young people look alike to me?

You're right! I thought the same thing!

Finally, I completely agree with the rest of the wdwmagic community in my admiration for your photography skills. They are a real treat. I don't know why Val would be confused by taking a photograph of a stool ;).

Lol! Thank you!

Looking forward to your next installment. I know how much time and effort your trip reports must take considering all the photographs that you incorporate.

Thanks @DouglasE ! and thanks for reading along and taking the time to comment!

fractal

Original Poster
OH My!! Those SSE pictures. WOW! I've got Epcot background music from Sorcerer's Radio playing while i'm reading your posts. I think it's time to start planning a trip to Disney.

Thanks! Love that you're listening to Epcot music! Plan away!
I absolutely love that you have something this special with your family. We too have a few family vacation items we started with our kiddos when they were young and still to this day when we’re all together we use them. ❤💕💖💜💝

Whenever we’re having tons of fun, our go to chant is “Woohoo Cheeze balls”

Whenever one of us gets separated in a crowd and we hear “Caw Caw” we know which direction to look for the others (but NEVER “Caw Caw” back until we’ve identified the rest of the family in the crowd).

Thanks! Lol - the inside family stuff is great. Now I know if I hear "Caw Caw" at WDW to look for you!

Thanks @Tink86 ! They're calling it a refurbishment and reimagining so really not quite sure what that means.

Orange is the intense side. No spinning in Green but it does have a new "mission".

I'll add Art Smith's to my list for next trip!

Drinking around the world turned out to be somewhat challenging for some. :rolleyes:
Thanks Fractal.
I haven't been to this site in months, I just can't......too depressing. We had to cancel, my brother had to cancel.....just boo!

It is a quiet day at work and thought I'd check if any of my "friends" (you know, the ones I think of as friends even though I've never met them), have gone to WDW during this mess.
And up pops your report with great photos that made me feel a whole lot better.
So glad you had such a good experience, glad someone is brave enough and crazy enough to go during this.

And BTW, as a fellow Philadelphian is that the Wawa goose I see on your masks?

Sorry about your cancelled trips. Not an easy time right now.

Happy to add a little positive vibes! Yes! That is a Wawa mask. Very comfortable and stylish!

fractal

Original Poster
Sorry, had a lot to catch up on!

On your Kona dinner - we ran into a very similar situation last week. Our waitress was awful - placing our order was like pulling teeth and when she brought our drinks, she literally dropped the silverware on the table and very aggressively pushed our drinks towards us. The food though was delicious, and actually thanks to me reading your post the day before, I ordered the steak which was delicious. So thank you!

Great! Happy you enjoyed it! Bad service can ruin the best meal.

In AK - was it the Kungaloosh you were looking for near Everest? I actually went up to the snack stand attached to the bar, where I'm pretty sure I've gotten it in the past, and was told that because the bar was closed, they couldn't give me one. It was very weird since they had their own beer on the menu.

That is weird!

This is the "bar".

20200722-DSC08973-X2.jpg

On my last trip during on night in AK I had lost Val and the kids, my Sister and her kids and my phone wasn't working. My solution was to get a beer. As I started drinking it magically everyone showed up so I call it the "magic beer".

Also - I'm afraid to comment on Sterg's short short choice. I normally consider myself still youngish (32), but reading on your commentary, I realize I'm fully in dad mode now. I'll gladly wear a pair of cargo shorts before I show that much leg 🤣

Yes, Same! I must admit however to now wearing shorts that stop just before the knee.

And of course I'm enjoying all your photos. The ones of Sunshine Seasons looking up is a really great perspective!

Thanks and thanks for following along!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom