Trip Report Making Lemonade out of Lemons Fractal Family Trip Report - Completed

I think we can all agree that so far 2020 has been one big sour lemon.

For those that did not read my Pre-Trip report; my entire family (Val-wife, Alex - oldest daughter, Sterg - son, Toni - youngest daughter) has recovered from the Covid-19 virus. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni got it in March and Alex in April while working as a nurse. Val had it worse with a fever for a couple days and flu like symptoms for about a week. The rest of us were either asymptomatic or had minor symptoms.

Add to that the mental stress of living in a society dealing with this pandemic, Toni missing out on a big chunk of her High School Senior Year and her last dance recital (where she was going to take on a major role as Jasmine), work reductions for Sterg and high stress work conditions for Alex on the front line. Yes, 2020 has sure been one big sourpuss.

But, as the saying goes; "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

It just so happened that last year I made a reservation to attend the annual AHEPA convention in Walt Disney World, just as I did in 2017. We were going to stay at the Grand Destino Towers but that seemed very much in jeopardy when AHEPA (which is a charitable organization I'm involved with. Like a Greek version of the Knights of Columbus or Lions Club.) cancelled their convention. Soon after however, I received an email that Disney would honor our reservation in July. This was pretty tempting since we had convention rates and discounts on tickets. Long story short, we decided to go. We felt that having already had the virus gave us an extra level of protection and we knew that Disney would handle the health risks properly. In addition, we later found out that our rooms were moved from Grand Destino to the Contemporary in order to accommodate the LA Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks. Sterg's and my dream of playing Marco Polo with the Greek Freak and LeBron James in the pool were quickly dashed. But who could say no to staying at The Contemporary for $175 a night?

We were a go! It was frustrating however because although we had a resort reservation we did not have park tickets. We also didn't have a "park pass" which was needed during this reopening of WDW. We had to wait for all that to open and I had serious doubts it would by the time our first day at the resort (July 20th) rolled around. I decided to book flights without tickets or park passes. Southwest had roundtrip flights from Philly to Orlando for $90 plus if you had to cancel you got that credit for a future flight. No brainer. This was turning out to be the cheapest Disney trip we have taken as a family! Soon after I was open to buy tickets and book Park Passes. We had started to squeeze that lemon and add it's juice to our pitcher of cold water.

Now for the Cast of our adventure.

Myself - Chris/Fractal. A lover of Disney Parks for the many memories it has given me over the years with my family, the way it helps me completely unwind from my job, and how it taps into my creative side and challenges my skills as a photographer.

Here I am with my crazy kids at Christmas.

MVIMG_20191224_220836-XL.jpg

Val - my beautiful wife. Not the biggest fan of Disney but in the end she was on board. I think secretly she likes it more than she lets on. I will make it up to her with a trip more to her liking.

Here she is with Alex.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180816202048133_COVER-XL.jpg

Alex - our oldest. Now a traveling nurse. Alex is like me in many ways but as she's getting older and more responsible I'm starting to see her take on a number of Val's traits. She's a good mix and always a delight to be with.

From a trip to Colorado we took last year;

DSC00630-XL.jpg

Sterg, aka Fractal Jr. One word to describe Sterg - catalyst - he just makes things happen. He creates reactions both good and bad. He graduated last year from Penn State. He was a captain on the Swim Team but not without drama. He had to miss his promising senior year of swimming when a series of concussions (all outside the water) forced him to medically retire. PSU handled it very well as he helped the team from the sidelines. He now works as a digital marketing consultant as well as helping his cousin get his music career off the ground. Never a dull moment when Sterg is around!

with our dog Prince (Charming).

20200706-DSC06336-X2.jpg

Toni - For long time readers of my reports you know that Toni and I have a special Disney connection. Many times she would be the only one up early with me to tackle the parks at opening. We have had many great adventures together in the Disney bubble. She's now technically an adult (how did that happen?) so I was going to find out this trip if the magic was still there. She's going to attend Clemson University starting next month and I couldn't be prouder.

Toni in front of the Theater her Recital was supposed to perform at.

20200616-DSC05993-X3.jpg

So Covid-19 made our family suffer in many ways, but we took that lemon, squeezed it's juice out into our water pitcher, now we just needed a little Disney sugar to make our Lemonade complete.

Coming up - Our trip begins with a WDW meet-up before our flight even leaves the ground!

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
After grabbing lunch (and maybe a drink or two) on Sunset Blvd we needed to check Val in to the nearby Hotel.

Color...

20200721-DSC08641-X3.jpg

or Black & White?

20200721-DSC08642-X3.jpg

The 24mm was starting to get a little jealous of the fisheye so I gave it the next shift. The 24mm is a great lens and so versatile. Super sharp, great color, very "fast", and relatively light weight. A fabulous "carry around" lens. The fisheye will always
have the crazy "wow" and "fun" factor and it's sharp but the color is not the greatest - I have to really make a lot of adjustments when editing to get things where I like. The RAW files from the 24mm are much easier to handle as the come out nearly perfect to begin with.

20200721-DSC08643-X3.jpg

It's also great for "environmental portraits" like this. Face in the center and enough space around to have a sense of where you are - perfect for WDW. The fast aperture also let's me blur the background beautifully.

20200721-DSC08644-X3.jpg

Sterg and Toni continued to get along great. I never really had to scold them much during this trip. That's what's supposed to happen as they get older right?

20200721-DSC08645-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08648-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08649-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08652-X3.jpg

Sterg has been doing a little boxing training on the bags. So out of the blue he'll come up to me with his fancy boxing moves to try and show how tough he is. He'll throw air punches and make his little "chee" sounds with each punch like he's sparing Sugar Ray Leonard or something only it's my head as the target.

"C'mon Dad, let's go...chee, chee, chee..." As we are waiting for our turn on the elevator. "chee, chee, chee." I can feel the wind on my face from his punches so I finally do the 'ol fake to the head with my right which brings up both his hands to block and shot to ribs with my left. "Oowwww!" he yelps and I start to grin. As he starts to come back at me we get called to stand in front of the elevator. Perfect timing. The old man still has a few tricks.

20200721-DSC08653-X3.jpg

The phantoms return.

20200721-DSC08655-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08657-X3.jpg

Now I'm starting to get good at this.

20200721-DSC08664-X3.jpg

Another gut churning but great ride in our favorite elevator!

"Let's go do Slinky Dog again; 20 minute wait." Toni suggested.

"Sure, I mean why not?"

20200721-DSC08667-X3.jpg

The skies were really this blue!

20200721-DSC08669-X3.jpg

Howdy Woody!

20200721-DSC08670-X3.jpg

Howdy Jess!

20200721-DSC08672-X3.jpg

Back in line.

20200721-DSC08677-X3.jpg

UP NEXT

More Slinky, another meetup with @coachwnh and his crew and a fun ride on Mickey's Runaway Railway!
Looks like you and Sterg had a Mufasa and Simba "moment"!
original.gif

:joyfull:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The phantom photos at TOT were amazing, and reminded me of all the wonderful effects in that attraction.

I almost gasped at the photo of the open elevator doors (showing the outside) at the top of TOT -- just before you'd all have a big "drop"!! For a moment, I felt like I was actually there, with scary anticipation of the terrifying fall!!! :joyfull:

fractal

Original Poster
Now that is the way to do a selfie - awesome composition - love it!

Thanks! Wanted to make sure I got ToT in.
I didn't realize we lived so close to one another. I'm just off the Brownstown exit of 222, and I work in Reading. Or at least I used to before COVID. Now I'm working from home. We should get together at the Beverly Hills Tavern for a drink sometime!!

Absolutely! Do you work (used to work) downtown Reading?

Your photos are just outstanding!!! That's so great that your kids go back and read your old TR's! It's like having a vacation diary and reading about not only the places you visited in WDW but the family dynamic and interaction with each other. I can't believe how empty Sunset Blvd. looks in your picture. :oops:

Thanks @lindawdw ! Sterg just said he likes the trip report of the two of us going to California the best. Sunset Blvd was empty not only because of Covid but also because most of the action was in Galaxy' Edge and Toy Story Land.
As always, just jaw dropping awesome photography and amazing story telling to accompany them.

Thank you sir! Great to have you aboard!

After you retire, if we ever need a personal photographer at WDW the job is yours!

Anytime!

AAAAAAAAAaaawwwwwwww, you met @Tuvalu and Em!! How fun! Yes, that's a fantastic way to take a selfie!

Thanks!

My son may have had a lacrosse tournament in PA this past weekend. I may have made my husband stop at WAWA and get me a mask.

A comfortable, well fitting mask is like the perfect pair of jeans. It may take awhile to find but when you do, you know it.

This could be that mask.

It really is a comfortable mask!

You should follow me on Facebook! I have been trying and modeling different masks for awhile now... trying to find the goldilocks!

Sign of the times. :D

This is such a delightful trip report! I’m late to the party, but this has been such a treat to read!

Thank you @Sulley_1313 !

Looks like you and Sterg had a Mufasa and Simba "moment"!
View attachment 490018
:joyfull:

Lol! Only Simba is now a lot bigger, but Mufasa is still stronger. :)
You and me both sister! Why is it so difficult?!

Good question!

The phantom photos at TOT were amazing, and reminded me of all the wonderful effects in that attraction.

I almost gasped at the photo of the open elevator doors (showing the outside) at the top of TOT -- just before you'd all have a big "drop"!! For a moment, I felt like I was actually there, with scary anticipation of the terrifying fall!!! :joyfull:

Thanks @MinnieM123 ! I was thrilled with how the ToT pics came out.

fractal

Original Poster
The "Hi's" were piling up in the Slinky Dog queue.

"Hi #2 pencil."

20200721-DSC08678-X3.jpg

"Hi not in a Pandemic..." "Hi saying Hi on the screen."

20200721-DSC08681-X3.jpg

But we also talked about our meeting up with @Tuvalu and @TrolleyFollower91 again. On our last trip Val was apprehensive about meeting up with people I knew only from my online Disney world. Putting myself in her shoes I would have felt the same. She didn't know anything about them, didn't read any trip reports they wrote and comments they made. All she knew is that I arranged meeting with them. Things were starting to change however on this trip. @coachwnh seemed like a decent enough person and getting to talk with the ladies from Georgia again and compare notes gave Val another level of comfort. She was actually starting to enjoy this extra dimension to our Disney trip which is not surprising because she is a great "people person" and can usually strike up a conversation with anyone.

I now rotated back to the 55mm 1.8 lens. This is more of a traditional "portrait" type lens than the 24mm, especially under these conditions. A true portrait photographer will tell you an 85mm or 135mm is really the sweet spots for portraits but they're not standing in a queue line at Disney are they? For my trip in 2017 I had actually planned out and wrote down a number of shots I wanted to take. This trip however, I only had a couple floating around in my noggin'.
My photography was going to basically be taken along our travels with a few exceptions.

The absence of night time and fireworks certainly played into this and I really missed that aspect. Not only do I love Happily Ever After as a show, but over the last few years I've thought about different ways to photograph it. One of the thoughts was to get up really close to the castle with my fisheye and shoot away some 8 to 10 second exposures on my tripod - that would have been very cool! I also recently purchased a 10 stop ND filter for my 15mm lens. With a 10stop filter I could have shot up to a minute or more exposure which would have filled my frame with beautiful streaks of light. This was all not to be. But, you play the hand you're dealt and so I did on this day in line waiting for our ride.

Good time for some portraits!

20200721-DSC08682-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08685-X3.jpg

Sterg was checking in on his Tick-Tock. He is somewhat semi-famous on this platform. All his little cousins talk about him and all his followers and want to grow up to be like him. All I say is "Show me the money." and there isn't any of that.

20200721-DSC08686-X3.jpg

I still love him though.

20200721-DSC08687-X3.jpg

Heck, I even managed to get in a shot!

20200721-DSC08679-X3.jpg

Stop holding up the line.

20200721-DSC08689-X3.jpg

Readiy for our next 50mph adventure on a blown up version of a child's toy. Where else can you say that?

20200721-DSC08692-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08695-X3.jpg

Lots of empty rows - this was not due to the low crowds but due to "distancing".

20200721-DSC08696-X3.jpg

ToT standing tall.

20200721-DSC08697-X3.jpg

Good job soldiers!

20200721-DSC08699-X3.jpg

Another fun and smile inducing ride on Slinky Dog in the books!

20200721-DSC08700-X3.jpg

Appropriate song on a trip meeting and making new and old friends!

20200721-DSC08701-X3.jpg

Who didn't have one of these?

20200721-DSC08702-X3.jpg

Seriously, look how fun this looks!

20200721-DSC08704-X3.jpg

Good job Woody! Keep everyone in tow until we return!

20200721-DSC08706-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Our next stop was another new experience for us - Mickey's Runaway Railway. As a major movie buff and lover of the old classics, I adored The Great Movie Ride. It was also a favorite of Yia-Yia's and Alex's so I was very sad to see it go. I also took some great photos of the ride over the years...

DSC07373-X3.jpg

_DSC5115-X3.jpg

_DSC5098-X3.jpg

My favorite non-Star Wars movie...

DSC07427-X2.jpg

Not in Kansas anymore.

DSC07446-X3.jpg

Unfortunately, also not in Orlando anymore. So I wasn't thrilled to hear TGMR was heading the way of the Dodo bird. I had very high standards and expectation for what was going to replace it. We made our way towards the Chinese Theater to ride this newcomer Mickey's Runaway Railway with great trepidation.

20200721-DSC08712-X3.jpg

Because of social distancing and the demand for this ride (it was to be our longest wait of the trip), the line extended well outside the theater. Not too long after we took our position I was greeted by a hello from @coachwnh ! He and his family were on another mission (I think Tower of Terror?) but he recognized us and thankfully came over. His family of 4 conversed with our matching set for a few minutes and I thought it would be great to take a photo. I asked the gentleman in front of me if he would oblige, but then regretting that under the Covid world social norms we are told to follow. I apologized and gave him an "out" but he decided to go ahead with my request. I'm so happy he did!

We looked like a bank robber gang but it was great fun! #2 WDW meetup for the day!

20200721-DSC08710-X3.jpg

We continued to talk and compare notes and realized that Bill and I had planned out the first 4 days of park experience identically. So much so that the kids thought we were in cahoots. @coachwnh gang soon left us but with a promise to meet up again! I could tell Val was starting to really enjoy this.

We continued to progress in our line until at some point we stopped moving. They shut things down for 20 minutes or so to clean and sanitize the ride vehicle. This would popup occasionally during the week. Toni was being impatient and wanted to bail on waiting. Sterg was starting to be swayed. After seeing a number of people leave their spot in line I made the argument that we should stick it out and once they reopened things would move along quickly. Luckily for us, I won that argument.

Some outside photos...

20200721-DSC08713-X3.jpg

"Hi there."

20200721-DSC08714-X3.jpg

Surprised it took as long as it did for Sterg to get in the limelight.

20200721-DSC08715-X3.jpg

These masks are not conducive to showing off their $multi-thousand straight teeth their crooked toothed father ponied up for.

20200721-DSC08717-X3.jpg

But I still love them.

20200721-DSC08718-X3.jpg

getting closer...

20200721-DSC08720-X3.jpg

"What's up Pops?" Sterg blurts.

20200721-DSC08725-X3.jpg

Closer still...

20200721-DSC08727-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
SPOILER ALERT - Mickey's Runaway Railway

Finally inside. So far not much has changed.
20200721-DSC08728-X3.jpg

Except for the 6 foot distance markers on the carpet.
20200721-DSC08729-X3.jpg

Entering the loading area,

20200721-DSC08730-X3.jpg

Now EVERYTHING has changed!

20200721-DSC08731-X3.jpg

and we're off into a crazy, zany new world of animated 3-D fun!

20200721-DSC08732-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08733-X3.jpg

The ride vehicles were "trackless" and as much as I liked them in Rise of the Resistance, I thought it fit this ride even better and was very well executed.

Each room you entered was its own cartoon world and what you can't see in these still photos are the movement of the objects and the dimensions. At first your visual sense are overloaded. The colors are bright and things are moving that normally shouldn't be moving. It took me a while to adjust to this new "world" but it was delightful to experience.

20200721-DSC08734-X3.jpg

Mixed in were animatronics brought to life through movement and projections (think Frozen ride), to tell the simple story of Mickey and Minnie (trying) going on a picnic.

20200721-DSC08735-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08739-X3.jpg

Plenty of detours along the way.

20200721-DSC08740-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08741-X3.jpg

Things were happening everywhere you looked!

20200721-DSC08742-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08743-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08745-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08747-2-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08748-X3.jpg

You are submerged in color and light and music and action while your brain is scrambling to make sense of all of it. We're not quite sure what we're experiencing here but we do know we like it!

We even had a near miss with at tornado! This was an awesome effect. The tornado was "real" with video mapping over-laid on top.

20200721-DSC08749-X3.jpg

And speaking of submerged, Mickey and Minnie ran into some trouble here. It's hard to explain but the 3D effect worked great and you felt a sense of danger as their paddling couldn't stop them from heading over the falls,

20200721-DSC08752-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08753-X3.jpg

and end up here...

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
SPOILER ALERT - Mickey's Runaway Railway (CONT.)

20200721-DSC08754-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08756-X3.jpg

The movement of all these fish was captivating. You wanted more time to take it all in.

20200721-DSC08758-X3.jpg

but alas, the quick moving vehicles kept us on a brisk pace.

Next up -

20200721-DSC08760-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08762-X3.jpg

We all thoroughly enjoyed Daisy's Dance Studio (especially Toni)!

20200721-DSC08761-X3.jpg

As you can see in the mirror, Toni was very much following instruction, Sterg not so much. Val was trying to figure out what exactly was going on (as were most people) while I, of course, was capturing photos. Again, I wish we had a little more time with Daisy.

20200721-DSC08763-X3.jpg

Now what? Looks like our favorite mouse couple are in trouble again!

20200721-DSC08765-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
SPOILER ALERT - Mickey's Runaway Railway - Cont.

Not looking good. Let's see if we can help.

20200721-DSC08766-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08767-X3.jpg

Do the make carousels in here? See what I mean by zany?

20200721-DSC08769-X3.jpg

"The Smasher" definitely NOT good!

20200721-DSC08768-X3.jpg

Wait, what are you guys doing in there?

20200721-DSC08770-X3.jpg

And why are we getting closer??
20200721-DSC08771-X3.jpg

Another "3D" effect that worked in giving you the illusion of impending flattening of your skull.

But we along with our heroes escape!

To a much nicer place. There's that carousel.

20200721-DSC08772-X3.jpg

With Goofy behind the controls we should have know this was going to be nutz-o!

20200721-DSC08774-X3.jpg

Happy ending!

20200721-DSC08777-X3.jpg

20200721-DSC08779-X3.jpg

and birds chirping!

20200721-DSC08784-X3.jpg

I can tell you coming off that ride, I was definitely not thinking about how much I missed The Great Movie Ride. Mickey's Runaway Railway is so different, so much fun with an excitable pace and a great display of the next/new generation of Disney's ride technology. Sign me up for 100 more rides please!

UP NEXT - dancing out of Hollywood Studios and Dinner at the Poly!

Tink86

Your ride pictures intrigued me so I went to Youtube and 'rode the ride'. I guess I'll have to wait until I can actually ride it, probably next June, but via Youtube I was not impressed. I loved The Great Movie Ride. Cindy

sheriffwoody

For You Page. That's all I look at on TikTok. It just shows me popular tiktoks that it thinks I'll like based on other things I've liked. I could seriously scroll through it all day long and belly laugh. If Sterg is getting a lot of views, I won't be surprised if he pops up there! I followed him though, so that increases the chances 🙈

By the way, you're making me want to try out the 24mm lens! I don't think I'll be buying a lens this year, but I might rent it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom