News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
My evaluation:
Disturbance 2 even if it develops is far enough north that it will not hit land.
Depression Seven TS Fernand could be a bit of a problem but does not have time to get very strong.
Disturbance 1 has the potential for big trouble. It is farther north than Dorian was at that stage but plenty far south to impact the US and the Caribbean, assuming it strengthens which it has lots of time to do.

If you look at the NHC site there is another area forming behind/under 1. With the path they drew on 1 it doesn't look like it will be a threat, but the other one under/behind it might.

carolina_yankee

All of my cabin stewards on Disney ships have been from the Caribbean. Seems like they know how to take care of a billion dollar ship just fine.

I believe Carnival did dock a ship that was out of rotation at New Orleans after Katrina to provide emergency housing. I remember similar comments of concern on Disney forums about what "those people" (residents of New Orleans) would do if Disney did the same thing.

I would have to question the viability of any cruise ship offering emergency relief. There is a certain amount of infrastructure required to get people on board. Are the channels even navigable? How long would people be housed? Who would determine who gets to be housed on the cruise ships? This isn't a situation where a comfortable hotel for a few nights will fix the problem and cruise ships aren't designed to be disaster relief ships in badly damaged areas.

I'm sure Disney will contribute mightily. The best thing any cruise company can do is to stand ready to bring tourist dollars back to an economy that will desperately need employment and investment.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So your source is a letter to the editor (an opinion section), that has been viewed a grand total (as of time of writing this) 799 times? How deep did you have to dig to find that?

And written to justify higher salaries for.... physicians.

Estimated population of 391,232 people. It is the richest country in the Caribbean region by GDP per capita. GDP is $12.27B USD.

LSLS

Man, isn't 8AM Wednesday the point Dorian will be in line with Orlando? Will they not still have tropical force winds?

blueslegend

Fantastic. So guests staying at WDW resorts will be looked after. I guess the rest of us can be left in the gutter with the smokers. Thanks for nothing.....again.

Attachments

• 5D87EFFF-F080-48A4-9CC4-A91923712062.png
    5D87EFFF-F080-48A4-9CC4-A91923712062.png
    190.7 KB · Views: 282

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Man, isn't 8AM Wednesday the point Dorian will be in line with Orlando? Will they not still have tropical force winds?
The wind speed forecast is at a very manageable sub 30mph. These are conditions that are often seen in typical afternoon storms. They will obviously be a bit more sustained, but it shouldn't present a significant problem to operating the parks.

LSLS

The wind speed forecast is at a very manageable sub 30mph. These are conditions that are often seen in typical afternoon storms. They will obviously be a bit more sustained, but it shouldn't present a significant problem to operating the parks.

Wow, seems like that would be the strongest just based on where it will be. Completely makes sense why they are opening then.

starri42

Will they be able to open any outside attractions? From the looks of the app, half of EPCOT is closed right now, and Test Track is the only thing that usually has challenges with weather.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I recall the day before Matthew was supposed to hit, I was asked to stay past my early afternoon shift end. I politely declined because at the time I lived in east Orange county and by 6:00pm I was supposed to have high end tropical storm winds in my neighborhood. Like, sorry I don't love Epcot enough for this lol.
Wait...you work for Disney??? Get outta town!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom