News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

BoarderPhreak

But wait! There's more... 🙄

412d7101-7d7b-483f-b310-1140da3bd7ca.png

msteel

Anyone who has no experienced with storm surge you can not begin to imagine what it is like. The sea water rises quickly brings with it all sorts of debris as well as sand, mud, sewage etc. you name it. Hate to keep bring up Hugo storm surge of 17' we had 5 feet of seawater along with pluff mud (anyone on the SE coast knows pluff mud) which got in behind the wet sheetrock. Had to spread lime on the ground because of sewage tanks overflowed. The Bahamians are in for a rough time after Dorian finally leaves and will need a lot of help.

I experienced a hurricane in the islands as a child. In my case it was also Hugo, just under a category 5 at the time and the eye passed around 30 miles from my house. We lived within sight of the ocean and while I remember very large waves I do not remember being aware of storm surge. (We had almost zero tidal changes either. Perhaps the steeper terrain helped reduce its effects relative to the US east coast.)

I suspect the impact to the Bahamas to be similar to what we saw, although probably worse because of how long they have been impacted by the storm. Where I was the wind was the greatest damaging element, with a few structures directly on the beach being impacted by waves and beach erosion. Most of the houses were wood frame construction with little oversight and if building codes existed I doubt they were strictly enforced. After the storm we estimated around 100 houses in our village either without roofs or totally destroyed. If dollars are your metric then the damage was small compared to Hugo's impact in the US, but in terms what was lost vs what the people had to start with, it was probably on a similar scale.

Personally my family suffered almost no loss but if memory serves correctly we were without running water for weeks and electricity for months, as the island was dependent almost entirely on foreign support for repairs to infrastructure.

I don't know how the Bahamas compares in construction quality and infrastructure support. They may be a little more prepared than where I was (perhaps not), but I am sure that you are correct that they will need tons of support. I expect it will take years to put their infrastructure back together.

msteel

But wait! There's more... 🙄

412d7101-7d7b-483f-b310-1140da3bd7ca.png
My evaluation:
Disturbance 2 even if it develops is far enough north that it will not hit land.
Depression Seven TS Fernand could be a bit of a problem but does not have time to get very strong.
Disturbance 1 has the potential for big trouble. It is farther north than Dorian was at that stage but plenty far south to impact the US and the Caribbean, assuming it strengthens which it has lots of time to do.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My evaluation:
Disturbance 2 even if it develops is far enough north that it will not hit land.
Depression Seven could be a bit of a problem but does not have time to get very strong.
Disturbance 1 has the potential for big trouble. It is farther north than Dorian was at that stage but plenty far south to impact the US and the Caribbean, assuming it strengthens which it has lots of time to do.

Seven is projected to impact Mexico. One and/or Two could potentially be an issue.

LuvWDW2

I’m sitting in the Plaza at MK. Sun is out, hasn’t rained since about 9am. Light breeze occasional gust (maybe 25-30?) In 3.5 hours I have ridden Space twice, Buzz 4 times, TTA, BTMRR (FP), 7DMT (FP), Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, PotC, Philharmagic. After lunch we are hopping to Epcot. Most of the offshore stuff has missed us to the North.

I was also at Nomad yesterday and must have had the same waiter. Met many, many locals in DHS last night in SWL taking advantage of the low crowds. Mood is very relaxed here on site.

Rider

My evaluation:
Depression Seven TS Fernand could be a bit of a problem but does not have time to get very strong.
Neither 1 or 2 appear to be any threat to land.

msteel

From those models I'd say you're right. I was going by gut feeling and past observation, but without much knowledge of surface conditions.

TalkingHead

I'm not saying they don't deserve help, but to expect Disney to offer up a billion dollar cruise ship is preposterous.

And no, not everyone that disagrees with you is racist. That term is really getting old and way overused by a certain group of people.

Saying they would “destroy the ship” is textbook racism.

What would someone from Connecticut know about Bahamians, anyway?

me_stitch

Premium Member
Be nice if they gave workers a pass and food voucher. Line workers do so much that take them away from their families at times. 🙁
And they make around $70/hr during th
I guess they want to make sure Food and Wine makes up some of the lost revenue from the other parks closing early.
Or people pay thousands of dollars for their vacations so they are trying to keep the parks open

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Please see article below. Also, I didn't know what the racial makeup of the country was, so I dont think making assumptions about third world countries is racist.

People living on a ship, with no accountability, like regular passengers would have, are much less likely to take care of the ship, than those who dropped 10 grand to live there. But again, I see differing opinions aren't allowed here.

The ship would be fully staffed. And I've witnessed what PAYING passengers can do.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Please see article below. Also, I didn't know what the racial makeup of the country was, so I dont think making assumptions about third world countries is racist.

People living on a ship, with no accountability, like regular passengers would have, are much less likely to take care of the ship, than those who dropped 10 grand to live there. But again, I see differing opinions aren't allowed here.

Clutch your pearls you poor poor thing. Bless your heart!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom