News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
Dorian suddenly started moving SW. Could be wobble, but SW movement is really bad for florida

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?par...a-14-96-1-50-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined
I hope it's a wobble.

This is most likely occurring because Dorian is in an eyewall replacement cycle. During which time the inner eyewall essentially collapses and is replaced by the outer eyewall. Expect strength to also decrease during this time frame. I’m confident too you have also seen the peak strength this afternoon. It only decreases from here.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This is most likely occurring because Dorian is in an eyewall replacement cycle. During which time the inner eyewall essentially collapses and is replaced by the outer eyewall. Expect strength to also decrease during this time frame. I’m confident too you have also seen the peak strength this afternoon. It only decreases from here.

If you're correct, I'll raise you to 6 loaves.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
All of St Augustine is under a mandatory evacuation order starting at 8AM tomorrow (Monday)
I am not in an evacuation zone - but the folks downhill from me are - they flooded in Matthew & Irma.
Might want to park any boats you might have right next to your door...

LAKid53

Premium Member
For those of you asking about CMs on Castaway Cay, update from DCL:

Castaway Cay Update

Many of our guests have asked questions about Castaway Cay. Some of our Crew remained on the island and their care and safety is our highest priority. We are in regular contact with island leadership, who is making sure our Crew is well taken care of in our storm shelter, which is designed for these types of situations and has restrooms, power and is well stocked with food and water. Castaway Cay remains south of the more significant weather and is currently experiencing tropical storm force winds, which based on the current forecast, are expected for the next several hours before gradually diminishing. Our thoughts are with the people in areas of The Bahamas that are being impacted by this storm and we stand ready to contribute to recovery efforts.

beertiki

The red dot just to the south of the eye is Castaway. They got hammered hard. Much more than tropical storm force. But, I would like to believe that Disney does have a shelter there that can handle 180 mph winds and 20 ft of storm surge. They had a rough day. Grand Bahama is about to have a rough night.

LAKid53

Premium Member
View attachment 404662

The red dot just to the south of the eye is Castaway. They got hammered hard. Much more than tropical storm force. But, I would like to believe that Disney does have a shelter there that can handle 180 mph winds and 20 ft of storm surge. They had a rough day. Grand Bahama is about to have a rough night.

That island is fairly flat. A 20 foot storm surge could breach the shelter.

beertiki

This image from the HWRF is closer to reality. Red dot is Castaway. Two flags at 50 mph each and a dash at 10. 110 mph, about to get 130. Bet they have seen gusts about 150. It will be interesting to see how long until it sees guests.

rickdrat

That island is fairly flat. A 20 foot storm surge could breach the shelter.
I've read there are more the 50 "permanent residents" that live there. Presumably all under Disney employ. I'd like to think that being in a ride out crew there would be strictly voluntary.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I've read there are more the 50 "permanent residents" that live there. Presumably all under Disney employ. I'd like to think that being in a ride out crew there would be strictly voluntary.

About 100, from what I understand. I would hope those staying behind were volunteers. I wonder if their housing is trailers. There are water/sewage treatment plants on the island. If those are damaged or destroyed, there will be no stops until repaired.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom