News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

Yert3

Never been in Fantasyland in a heavy rain, have ya? :D
The nightly sprinklers to prevent firework fires flood Peter Pan’s flight queue nightly and have for a while. I can’t believe they haven’t found a way to prevent it yet. Knowing current Disney, they might not have even tried.

Yert3

Central Florida no longer in the cone of uncertainty? Or is this a glitch?
97BFFF14-85DF-4CD3-97F1-88811BD7B39F.png

Lensman

When was the last time a U.S. commercial aircraft crashed due to weather conditions?
It's off topic and depends on what you will accept as a crash. To avoid the inevitable argument, perhaps we should ignore skids off of runways and also ignore any crashes that involve no fatalities. Let's also agree to ignore crashes where weather was not directly causative, but rather merely set up a situation where other factors led to a crash - for instance in the Colgan Air 3407 crash.

Anyway, the last full crash I remember offhand is Delta Airlines flight 191 - the Lockheed L-1011 crashed on approach to DFW in 1985 due to wind shear from a microburst thunderstorm, resulting in 136 deaths of the 164 passengers and crew.

Apolgies, but I did want to talk about one landing skid, American Airlines flight 1420. In 1999, AA 1420 made it onto the runway at LIT during heavy thunderstorms but overran the end of the runway, resulting in 11 fatalities out of 145 passengers and crew. The pilot attempted the landing despite the reported winds exceeding the 20 knot limit for landing an MD-82 in limited visibility on a wet runway.

And since we've been talking a lot about maximum allowed crosswind landings, I thought I'd post this classic:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
085210_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

5AM update is out. Based on overnight model run trends this will probably continue to move east.

storm_05_ens.gif

Most notable major model products have ruled out a Florida landfall. SC/NC should now be on alert. This also doesn’t rule out impacts to Florida. The coast is going to get ravaged by flooding and rain, coupled with a storm surge and heavy winds. Interior will see a lot of rain and some winds.

Things may still change but based on the model trends, there is a good chance a lot of Floridians can breath a little easier this morning.

winstongator

Exactly. The local emergency services keep stressing that sometimes it's only necessary to evacuate from a level A zone to a level D or E - which might only be 10 - 15 miles away. In Jacksonville, it might be going from the beaches inland to the west side of town. Our friends who live 2 blocks from the ocean just had to travel about 15 mins (more with traffic) to a relative's house in an inland area.
That's about where I am in Jax, and about our current plan. Lots of neighbors rode out Matthew and Irma, but will be safer to just stay a little inland.

John park hopper

Oh crap!!!! it looks like Dorian is heading to SC I hope it curves more off shore. I keep having flash backs to Hugo. Looking better for FL thank god. WDW dodged the bullet my moue has been spared a direct hit. To all in the path of Dorian stay safe.

Alice a

Here in Charleston, we've been quietly speculating that Dorian has been acting a lot like Hugo. The thing is, there were a lot less people in the metro area - and a lot less development - when Hugo tore apart a good portion of the city.

Any kind of impact to us at this point - a city that has had road-closing, feet-deep flooding every night this week even though it hasn't rained and we are in a drought - would be catastrophic. Recent studies have shown that the Charleston peninsula is actually sinking at a substantial rate, due in part to the heavy construction of the past 10 years.

My neighbors and co-workers have never experienced a real huricane, and the area is woefully unprepared for a big storm, compared to 30 years ago when Hugo hit us. It's going to be an interesting few days.

Alice a

This is my block- on historically high ground- when it rains during a full moon.B6C95ACC-F62D-4F97-9C40-45571FFA2C4C.jpeg

Attachments

• 5FBA18EF-C7BE-49FC-82D6-878BEA184077.jpeg
    5FBA18EF-C7BE-49FC-82D6-878BEA184077.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 88

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom