News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

Polydweller

You say "slight" and I say "nil." Regardless, sounds like "nil" to me. WDW wasn't damaged in any meaningful or substantial way by Matthew, nor will it be damaged in any sort of meaningful way if this hurricane stays off shore.
Ok, so shingles torn from roofs, flooding eroding beaches, hallway doors knocked off and flooding in the hallways at the Polynesian, tree damage in the parks, palms blown down etcis nil. Hmm, no it isn’t when you see the impacts to operations and how long people had to wait to get out of their resorts. It took cleanup crews a full day to get the parks open and there was limited food services for 24 hours after. So, please stop with the nil statement, it isn’t.

WDW862

Ok, so shingles torn from roofs, flooding eroding beaches, hallway doors knocked off and flooding in the hallways at the Polynesian, tree damage in the parks, palms blown down etcis nil. Hmm, no it isn’t when you see the impacts to operations and how long people had to wait to get out of their resorts. It took cleanup crews a full day to get the parks open and there was limited food services for 24 hours after. So, please stop with the nil statement, it isn’t.
I'm just ignoring him at this point. He's an idiot. I'd recommend you do the same

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I linked to one of the most respected weather forecasters in the south (criticize him all you want - easy to do as an nameless faceless person on a message board) who is now leaning towards the notion that the storm will actually miss Florida. If I didn't already have plans, I would hop a plane to Orlando tomorrow and enjoy GE. Crowds will be light and the weather will probably be gorgeous through Monday.

As for flying, flying in the United States is about the safest thing you can ever do. They fly when it's safe to do so. If the planes are flying I have no issues being on one.

Planes fly in adverse conditions all the time. And some crash because weather conditions impact necessary aeronautics like lift.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I linked to one of the most respected weather forecasters in the south (criticize him all you want - easy to do as an nameless faceless person on a message board) who is now leaning towards the notion that the storm will actually miss Florida. If I didn't already have plans, I would hop a plane to Orlando tomorrow and enjoy GE. Crowds will be light and the weather will probably be gorgeous through Monday.

As for flying, flying in the United States is about the safest thing you can ever do. They fly when it's safe to do so. If the planes are flying I have no issues being on one.
True. But they land and takeoff in tropical storm force winds every single day all over the world. Google Gibralter landings.
You just don’t encourage people to take this lightly and move towards it. At all. Pretty simple.

I think the dentist removed your “wisdom” teeth too early

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Really? So you are saying that commercial aircraft do NOT take off in headwinds or tailwinds greater than 35knots?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When was the last time a U.S. commercial aircraft crashed due to weather conditions?
Do you TSA and FAA reports much? A “mechanical failure” - 95% of crashes - can be caused by weather affecting a particular system. It’s not a ridiculous concept.
CALLED IT

When I watched the video upthread talking about conditions and characteristics (it was excellent)...it screamed “cat 5”

This is quite simple in “real science” terms...oceans are warmer, the energy a storm can pick up and throw continues to increase because of it.

Cat 6 will happen...at some point.
You can disagree without being insulting or disagreeable - or I guess, you can't.
I can...but it’s increasing difficult when you are judging mechanics you have no expertise in and continue to try to “be right” and advocate treating a Natural disaster with less severity.

On a public forum, you should not encourage people to act potentially wrecklessly - and you are. No matter the outcome.

Gotta ask...how old are you? PLEASE don’t say 26? (No offense to reasonable people that age)

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Really? So you are saying that commercial aircraft do NOT take off in headwinds or tailwinds greater than 35knots?

No pilot is going to take off in headwinds exceeding 50mph. And it's likely ATC would close the runway or airport.

And there are other things to consider, such as opening cargo and fuselage doors. Which cannot, for safety purposes, be opened if winds exceed 45 mph.

Airports set limits for crosswinds, tailwinds and headwinds for takeoffs and landings. If conditions are adverse - rain, snow, ice - those limits will be lowered.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do somewhat enjoy the fact that expressing my opinion (which is different from yours) irritates you so much. Pretty nutty, if you think about it. Go ahead.... fling an insult just like you did in middle school to the kid you didn't like.

I’m sorry, man, I’m just not buying you as a weather or aviation expert. It’s not holding up.

If you just offered your opinions in “amateur mode”...I don’t think anyone would have a problem.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Original Poster
00z models running. Most have Dorian never impacting land. Still to soon to tell, but certainly a good trend.

05L_tracks_latest.png

FWIW
Two different CM encouraged us to go ahead with our vacation after both my wife and I called with concerns and a possible reschedule.

They cited how the resorts were built with such storms in mind, and if the park shuts down they will ensure that guests were taken care of, etc.

We shall see. Probably going to leave here (Jacksonville) for the resort about 4am. I'll post if I see anything funky going down on the 95.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom