News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Seriously? I'd like to see what happens to Central Florida under 30 inches of rain over 24 hours. I'd bet my hat that Epcot would be under two feet of water at least. Officially Houston is about 100 feet above sea level, wow, about the same as central Florida (it varies from zero to 150 feet and averages 40)!

30 inches of rain over 24 hours? What crack did you pull those numbers out of?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You should tell that to my neighbors who had significant roof damage from Irma. 70 miles inland. Don't get me started on Hurricane Charley

Since we're talking about damage, I'll throw out the over 1,000 trees that fell in Tallahassee during a barely 80 mph hurricane called Hermine that shredded the grid with nearly 90% of customers with power for up to 3 weeks. I was one of them...and grateful I got mine back in 6 days. There was a tornado 1 mile from my house.

WDW862

Since we're talking about damage, I'll throw out the over 1,000 trees that fell in Tallahassee during a barely 80 mph hurricane called Hermine that shredded the grid with nearly 90% of customers with power for up to 3 weeks. I was one of them...and grateful I got mine back in 6 days. There was a tornado 1 mile from my house.
A tornado was near my house. My house could withstand a small Tornado (with roof damage and broken windows), but thankfully it never got too close.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Lets not forget hurricane Andrew.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Seriously? I'd like to see what happens to Central Florida under 30 inches of rain over 24 hours. I'd bet my hat that Epcot would be under two feet of water at least. Officially Houston is about 100 feet above sea level, wow, about the same as central Florida (it varies from zero to 150 feet and averages 40)!

Try again. The highest part of Houston, in downtown, is barely 50 feet about sea level. Houston is relatively flat as most other areas of the City are not less than 4 feet lower than that high point. Oh, and Houston sunk several centimeters due to the weight of the water.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Again. Not true. Do you live in a hurricane zone? That's true IF you are not inland. The costliest hurricane in history was Harvey, followed by Katrina. Did wind cause most of the property damage with either storm?

I live in Orlando and have experienced many hurricanes in this 'inland' location since I moved here in early 2004. Of course there have been storms where flooding was indeed sever but when looking at ALL storms the damage caused by winds is massive. The TV news doesn't show you the thousands of homes whose roofs were ripped off or the hundreds of houses crushed by falling trees. All of those people will beg to differ with you.

LAKid53

Premium Member

The highest point in Central Florida is Sugarloaf Mountain, near Clermont. It's 312 feet.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Scary? Sure. Catastrophic damage on the scale of Hurricane Katrina or Harvey - No.

We lost most of the power grid. 90% were without power. While not as catastrophic as Katrina, for those of us who lived through the eyewall swirling over town for 90 minutes, it was terrifying.

I'll also throw out Michael last year.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I’m done dealing with you because I don’t think you have a clue of what you are talking about. Downtown Houston is NOT the highest point in the city. You can spend five minutes researching that to confirm for yourself. Also, the city did get (in places) in excess of 30 inches of rain over a 24 hour period.

I think the general consensus here isn't leaning towards LAKid53 not having the clue.

WDW862

Do you live here? Have you experienced hurricane Charley, Frances, Jeanne, and Irma? Did you drive through the aftermath in Orlando or Lakeland?

People had medical emergencies while services were down. Elderly, sick people and infants died from the lack of a/c. Do you want to tell the parents who lost their kids that the storms "didn't do much damage"

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I didn’t say wind damage doesn’t happen. I said the most catastrophic threat is flooding. Disney World (the topic here) is not going to be severely damaged by winds nor will most modern buildings. However, a stalled hurricane dumping feet of water over Orlando (which I don’t believe has ever happened) could cause catastrophic damage to the tourist areas.

I'm just gonna leave this here. This was the Hilton DoubleTree over by Lee Vista and Semoran.

WDW862

And the tourist infrastructure was back up and running almost immediately.... yes I get you were scared but what you experienced was not remotely close to a Harvey or Katrina scenario where flooding caused damage to commercial infrastructure that is STILL not repaired.

Think I care about Disney right now? 8 million people live in this region, and you're worried about minor flooding at Disney. Really?

donsullivan

Premium Member
And the tourist infrastructure was back up and running almost immediately.... yes I get you were scared but what you experienced was not remotely close to a Harvey or Katrina scenario where flooding caused damage to commercial infrastructure that is STILL not repaired.
Can we shut down the 'my storm was worse than your storm' dialog and get back to discussions of planning for the storm approaching Florida?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom