News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

JohnD

The satellite photo of Andrew making landfall in south Dade County shows the outer bands never reached up to Orange County.

For one thing Andrew was more compact. Here's a comparison of it with Irma from this site.
screen_shot_2017-09-07_at_2.48.08_pm.png

donsullivan

Premium Member
How does diesel look? Not sure if Diesel runs out just as easy as gas. We're still planning on heading down tomorrow. I ran the idea of possible fuel cans to take w/ us to my step dad. My mother is in a camper in Clermont so we have no plans to cancel so we can get down to support her or move her if needed. If anything our condo should be better than a metal box....

Can't help with that one, I was only looking for normal gasoline.

I can tell you there are growing reports of many stations being without gas as people fill every vehicle and also filling lots of gas cans for generators.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I wonder what DCL is going to do. They made a bunch of changes pretty early (trying to help people out), but it looks like this might cause more chaos. They changed the Dream 4 night cruise to 5 nights, stopping in Castaway Cay Tuesday and coming back on Wednesday, with a 2 night cruise going Wednesday. Was a good plan 2-3 days ago. But looking at the forcasts, it looks like there is a real possibility Wed. morning is when Port Canaveral is getting the worst of it.

Will there be a Castaway Cay to stop at on Wednesday. Storm surges of 15 feet in the Bahamas with a Cat 3 roaring through.

MCO closing 2AM Monday. Which means they're expecting it to start Monday night, Tuesday AM. I bet that 2 night Dream gets cancelled as many passengers will cancel their reservations.

LSLS

Will there be a Castaway Cay to stop at on Wednesday. Storm surges of 15 feet in the Bahamas with a Cat 3 roaring through.

MCO closing 2AM Monday. Which means they're expecting it to start Monday night, Tuesday AM. I bet that 2 night Dream gets cancelled as many passengers will cancel their reservations.

Could. Do they turn the 4 night Dream into a 6 night then?

AdamNV87

Just a heads up for those of you planning to head north next week.

I would advise caution against seeking refuge in the Smoky Mountain / Pigeon Forge region of TN.
A very LARGE car show (Shades Of The Past, followed by the Fall Rod Run) kicks off Friday the 6th, though many attendees begin arriving Thursday the 5th.

Lodging in that area already nearing capacity, and any remaining lodging rates are at a premium due to the car events. There are still slim picking left, but not much at this time.

When Irma hit several years ago, many people chose that area, and were unaware of the big events, running into a sold-out town, gridlocked traffic, and any remaining lodging spaces available being anything but merciful to the wallet due to the event.

Not saying the area doesn't want you or doesn't want to help. It just can be very difficult until car show season ends with an already high volume of people in town.

Edit: To illustrate what I mean. Here is an example of car show traffic coming to town on any given Sep show when there isn't a major hurricane bringing even more people in. If that gives any indication on what you're running into...
pf8302019a.jpg

Be warned.

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Could. Do they turn the 4 night Dream into a 6 night then?

They've turned it into a 2 night.

The Dream cruise departing today will be a 5 night cruise, returning Wednesday, the 4th. And go back out that day for the 2 nighter. But I read that Port Canaveral may close Monday, not sure for how long.

rickdrat

I am sure you guys are being driven crazy by these questions but is the recommendation still for people to cancel their trips? I am from Australia so we are not familiar with hurricanes (spiders yes hurricanes no) and due to fly in tomorrow staying at the four seasons wdw for a week. We are obviously very seriously considering cancelling both for our safety and not to be an extra burden in a crisis. The latest on the NY Times tracker seems to show it as a 1 as it moves up into the Orlando area but I imagine much can change between now and Tuesday...any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Looks like the latest model runs are pushing it back towards a run up the east coast. If that holds, and that's an IF, the worst of the winds would stay out of Orlando. Bear in mind that just refers to the center. There will still be plenty of wind, and buckets of rain spreading well inland. A fair amount of flash flooding is likely. The weather will start going downhill during the day Monday and I would think Tuesday and Wednesday will pretty much be a loss as far as the parks go. Looks like the airport will be closing early Monday morning and would likely remain so till at least some time Wednesday, perhaps longer. It all depends on when the turn to the north starts. The longer that delays, the worse conditions will be. Good luck and be safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom