News Major Hurricane Dorian impacts to Walt Disney World 2019

jpeden

In the Parks
No
And availability of gas

I was going to post about taking resources away from storm victims and a lack of gas but people get so touchy about that I left it out - but it's a very valid point.

I know most people think a hurricane is just a massive thunderstorm, but it's not. Having grown up in South Georgia and knowing plenty of people that have been affected by hurricanes, they aren't a joke. Even a category 1 can do serious damage if it stalls over an area. The reality is, this is a risk you take when you book a vacation in Florida or the Caribbean in September. We are supposed to go to Disney in 20 days, and if there's another hurricane about to hit, you can bet we won't be going.

FigmentForver96

It is obviously important to be prepared but I can promise you Mother Nature doesn’t give a damn that you filled up your gas tank and have 3 days worth of food and water. Hurricane Michael was going to be a strong 2 maybe 3 at landfall, did so as a 5. For weeks, the city operated under dusk to dawn curfews and alcohol bans. Military trucks rolled down the streets and looters were shot on sight. Neighborhoods so torn up that emergency crew couldn’t get into houses to retrieve bodies, they simply marked a red x on the door. My family lived in Florida for years and we were always prepared, even after going over 10 years without a major storm in the area. Being prepared couldn’t help anyone when power was out for weeks, gas stations didn’t refill and those that did had lines literally miles long. I don’t really say this to scare anyone but to show that you can be “prepared” but humans will never fully be prepared for the full wrath of Mother Nature.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
LOL... sorry

Some of us, while not local, aren't tourists. I know where all the Publixs are on my drive down to WDW. The one on Archer Road near Chick fil-A. The one in Ocala off I-75. The one off 429. Along with the location of just about every Chick fil-A and Taco Bell.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It is obviously important to be prepared but I can promise you Mother Nature doesn’t give a damn that you filled up your gas tank and have 3 days worth of food and water. Hurricane Michael was going to be a strong 2 maybe 3 at landfall, did so as a 5. For weeks, the city operated under dusk to dawn curfews and alcohol bans. Military trucks rolled down the streets and looters were shot on sight. Neighborhoods so torn up that emergency crew couldn’t get into houses to retrieve bodies, they simply marked a red x on the door. My family lived in Florida for years and we were always prepared, even after going over 10 years without a major storm in the area. Being prepared couldn’t help anyone when power was out for weeks, gas stations didn’t refill and those that did had lines literally miles long. I don’t really say this to scare anyone but to show that you can be “prepared” but humans will never fully be prepared for the full wrath of Mother Nature.

Bingo.

Disorbust

So my kids are in Ctira right by the publix you all are talking about. I am concerned their parking lot will flood, what do you think about having them park in the Publix lot? I think it is less likely to flood. Also, does anyone know how/if car insurance covers if your car gets flooded out?

prberk

I just love it when clueless people like you who don't live here and haven't spent more than a minute inside the bubble here suddenly become armchair quarterbacks and think that you know it all. You folks wear your idiocy on your sleeves.

Power was out here for 12 days after Irma, but yeah 72 hours of supplies will surely suffice. Gas stations were out of fuel for weeks because trucks couldn't get here, and every shelf of stores that did have power were bare because those supplies couldn't get here either. How about staying in your own lane where you belong.

You are quoting TP2000. Didn't that "expose" article earlier this month identify @TP2000 as the company shill that essentially created or re-created Al Lutz and was trying to engineer social media debates for the company? Maybe I had it wrong, but if so, maybe he is a little bitter and spending too much time on sites like this.

Da Bird is Da Word

If that thing comes through Tuesday morning at the predicted strength, I doubt Disney will be open on the 4th (maybe on the 5th) and I don't think you're flying in on the 4th (assuming you're flying). Remember, flight delays and cancellations aren't just about the weather - especially on the back end of the storm they're about getting metal and crews to the airport, along with airport staff, in a safe manner. You will need to at least check up until the 2nd or 3rd with your airline about cancellations.

You MAY be able to drive if you're driving, but that would be dependent on the road conditions and if there is a curfew or not depending on the impact of the storm.

I only live six hours away and plan on driving. We were planning on driving down on Tuesday. My tickets provide me some leeway (can be used between 4th and 13th), but my dates at AKL are set in stone 4 thru 11. I hope Orlando doesn’t get hit (or badly enough) for it to close!

LAKid53

Premium Member
So my kids are in Ctira right by the publix you all are talking about. I am concerned their parking lot will flood, what do you think about having them park in the Publix lot? I think it is less likely to flood. Also, does anyone know how/if car insurance covers if your car gets flooded out?

I'm not sure that parking lot will be any better than that at their place of residence. Lots of rain in a few hours will flood any parking lot.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I only live six hours away and plan on driving. We were planning on driving down on Tuesday. My tickets provide me some leeway (can be used between 4th and 13th), but my dates at AKL are set in stone 4 thru 11. I hope Orlando doesn’t get hit (or badly enough) for it to close!

If the storm is passing through on Tuesday, you won't get far.

LAKid53

Premium Member

And y'all are still recovering. I ran into a crew in my Publix a month or two after Michael who were doing cleanup. They indicated it would be several more months of cleanup before rebuilding could start. The dang storm destroyed Tyndall.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Really shaping up to be a major rain event. I hope it isn't anything like North Carolina faced last year after Hurricane Florence; but it doesn't look good. Also the fact it is still forcast to be a category 1 storm as it moves up the central part of the state (12 hours after landfall) is a testament to how strong this storm will be.
Looks like a beast...I honestly can’t believe people are still debating whether or not they want to travel (let alone wasting time on their pre-trip reports 😬). It’s time to wear the “big boy/big girl” pants and make wise decisions based on “adulting”. We have passed zero barrier for hemming and hawing.
This is not looking good for anyone in Florida.

I have a generator but with how the hurricane is stalling, I don't ill be able to use.
The storm made the turn this morning toward Florida...so it’s coming...and now has some carbon cooked open water around the Bahamas to suck up and gain strength.

The tracks are starting to align around a palm beach land and up through the gut of the state.

And 140 mph winds by Sunday.

The good news is: there is actually no good news.

FigmentForver96

And y'all are still recovering. I ran into a crew in my Publix a month or two after Michael who were doing cleanup. They indicated it would be several more months of cleanup before rebuilding could start. The dang storm destroyed Tyndall.
Luckily I lived in Tallahassee at the time overseeing the opening of the FSU Target. I went back to Panama City to be with my family during the storm, something I wouldn’t do again. It took me 7 hours to get from Panama City to Tallahassee. I-10 was down so I drove into Dothan and cut across to Bainbridge and south into Tallahassee. I was without power for maybe 3 days in Tallahassee but sitting in the dark alone, replaying the sounds and sights of that storm was the stuff of nightmares. I’d literally get sick from the sound of rain and ended up seeking therapy for a bit. I didn’t make it back home full time until this past May and the storm has not been kind. I live beach side and it’s business as usual over here, in town is still not lucky. The mall will never reopen, some businesses were left to rot so the buildings won’t come down. Many schools didn’t reopen due to lack of kids as well. Dark times indeed.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
As I posted after Hugo there ws no electric for weeks not days no gas no ATM and no food shipments, It took me 6 months to get my house livable. It was 3 days before the National Guard arrived with a water tanker, A cat 4 is nothing to fool with. My sister is in Lake Worth just south of Palm Beach told her to get out.
My sister lives in Tequesta and she is hell bent on staying and I don’t know how to get her out of there.

The Mom

Premium Member

That's important to remember. There are still areas that have not rebuilt from the two previous storms - and they may be hit again. There were parts of major highways that were closed due to damage for a few days. The major roads (and even some of the alternate routes) were bumper to bumper cars, with many people running out of gas.

People who headed North to escape Irma ended up being evacuated again because of flooding in Jacksonville. This one appears to have a lot of water, and is moving slowly, so flooding might be a bigger issue than wind damage.

jpeden

In the Parks
No

You need to be concerned about road access and gas availability then. Both will be sparse most likely in the days after this storm. If you can change your dates to a different time, I would. If you can't, I would talk with Disney about shortening your trip and tickets and at least cut a day or two off just to be safe.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
My sister lives in Tequesta and she is hell bent on staying and I don’t know how to get her out of there.

Staying or leaving is a very difficult judgement call to make. The problem with just leaving is that there is still too much uncertainty. What if you leave and the hurricane turns out to sea, turns further south, or comes onshore far enough away that you're minimally impacted? You would have wasted a bunch of time and money. Once you know it's time to leave, everyone else is also making the decision to leave so you may be stuck on the highway when it hits. That scenario actually happened to someone I know during Irma.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom