Major Grand Floridian Refurbishment

Skywise

I agree that Mizner's never lived up to it's namesake sadly...It was bland and pedestrian...and while I applaud them for adding to the footprint and spending money for a larger more elaborate bar and lounge, they forgot to hire a design team that understood the whole style and setting for the hotel... It needed to fit with the theme and storyline... And it ended up looking like Ikea furniture in a faux french, way too modern, anyplace hotel...
I liked Mizner's for what it was with its "intimate" and small space (like a hideaway/speakeasy of sorts) but, on the downside, it was too small and I agree that the theming was unremarkable. That said, the new layout is just tacky... actually it reminds me of our local hospital entrance now that I think about it...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yep. This was supposed to be done for the 50th along with the Contemporary and Polynesian. The monorail resorts needed to be made “more Disney” because decades of Walt Disney World have shown that it wasn’t actually very Disney.

Well, if you aren't hit over the head with "DISNEY!!!" at every turn, how else would you know where you are? Consumers are dumb, you see, and Bob and his team of minions are the saviors who will let them all know that they are "at Disney" with their creative genius and spectacular ideas.

wdwfan22

I love the new look of the rooms. The artwork in the room is themed to Mary Poppins. The Lobby does need a refresh carpet and furniture look a tad bit worn. If the lobby refurb follows the same look as the rooms it's sure to be a success.
Grand.jpg
grand1.jpg

dreday3

I love the new look of the rooms. The artwork in the room is themed to Mary Poppins. If the Lobby follows the new look it will be a success. The Lobby does need a refresh.View attachment 629297View attachment 629298

These rooms are GORGEOUS. And even though there's a nod to Mary Poppins, it's so subtle and the design aesthetic -at least to me- is still very much in the style of Grand Floridian.

Communicora

Premium Member
I love the new look of the rooms. The artwork in the room is themed to Mary Poppins. The Lobby does need a refresh carpet and furniture look a tad bit worn. If the lobby refurb follows the same look as the rooms it's sure to be a success. View attachment 629297View attachment 629298
I can see why people like these updates, but they certainly aren't Victorian. It makes me think the Enchanted Rose will no longer be an outlier design-wise.

correcaminos

I love the new look of the rooms. The artwork in the room is themed to Mary Poppins. The Lobby does need a refresh carpet and furniture look a tad bit worn. If the lobby refurb follows the same look as the rooms it's sure to be a success. View attachment 629297View attachment 629298
These are the DVC rooms going in Big Pine Key. Is this what they're doing all over too? If so I'd honestly be a bit surprised.

James Alucobond

These are the DVC rooms going in Big Pine Key. Is this what they're doing all over too? If so I'd honestly be a bit surprised.
The site of ill repute reports that it is so, but that doesn’t really mean much of anything. I would personally be happy if that were the case, though. They’re not perfect and there are a few things I’d change, but the current rooms aren’t perfect either and these seem a net gain to me.

correcaminos

The site of ill repute reports that it is so, but that doesn’t really mean much of anything. I would personally be happy if that were the case, though. They’re not perfect and there are a few things I’d change, but the current rooms aren’t perfect either and these seem a net gain to me.
Thanks! I'm only surprised because in the past different touches have gone into each. I hadn't seen any true site claim those were anything but DVC but being DVC I'm biased towards certain sites so I had to ask. I am guessing on which site you are talking about - I don't go there intentionally so missed if they said it. I would imagine similar but slight differences in art and maybe colors. None of these rooms totally appeal to me anyway but just curious to know what's out there.

James Alucobond

I would imagine similar but slight differences in art and maybe colors. None of these rooms totally appeal to me anyway but just curious to know what's out there.
I actually think the colors are the element most likely to remain the same. They’re a perfect match for the direction the Enchanted Rose and Citricos have been going in, which is to say moving away from dusty rose, olive, and cream toward teal and white with vibrant pops.

correcaminos

I actually think the colors are the element most likely to remain the same. They’re a perfect match for the direction the Enchanted Rose and Citricos have been going in, which is to say moving away from dusty rose, olive, and cream toward teal and white with vibrant pops.
They would fit. I was thinking more differences in where you see what colors. Pattern slightly changing. Keep in mind just wondering if this is breaking with differences we see between resort and DVC rooms is all.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’m curious how extreme they’ll go.

Find a better spot for the bird cage, update the elevator surround, new furniture, new carpet, new paint, and new light fixtures would all be an upgrade in my opinion.

As long as they keep the woodwork, the ornate railings, the skylights… basically the bones… I think it could be a good thing.

I love the new rooms and love the new citricos so I’m hopeful but I hate the new bar area so I’m worried at the same time. It’s a beautiful lobby but felt a bit dingy the last time we were there so a minor update is probably overdue.

Richie248

The resort rooms are in dire need of a refurb. Stayed there 4 years ago and the rooms were in pretty bad shape (can't imagine what they look like now). I like the design direction of all the new additions. While Enchanted Rose doesn't quite fit....it's a step above Mitzners (in both size and design). Citrico's decor was hideous pre-refurb (IMO), they did a great job on the decor (wondering if V&A will get a bit of a refresh). Curious what they will do to the lobby as there is some opportunity to update it. What I miss most is the orchestra. Wish they would bring them back.

correcaminos

They have already come out and said all rooms will follow the same makeover design.
Can you show me where this was confirmed? I searched and couldn't find it, just that these were the DVC rooms and GF was also being refurbed. Really a bit surprised at the departure of making zero distinction between DVC and resorts is all.

wdwfan22

Can you show me where this was confirmed? I searched and couldn't find it, just that these were the DVC rooms and GF was also being refurbed. Really a bit surprised at the departure of making zero distinction between DVC and resorts is all.
There will be distinction. the Design however should flow through the entire resort.

correcaminos

There will be distinction. the Design however should flow through the entire resort.
Thank you. So there has been no confirmation on the resort rooms then?

As a whole DVC GF has been Mary Poppins. I wonder if resort rooms will be different IP. Much like Polynesian DVC is Lilo and Stitch while resort rooms are Moana. There are similarities but also distinct differences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom