Maintenance at WDW

Djsfantasi

Original Poster
The Disneyland Resort has a similar thread, discussing maintenance issues there. I couldn’t find one in the WDW forum, so thought I’d start one.

To start off, there’s one problem that bothers me. It takes me out of the bubble every time I’ve seen it. And it’s been there for years.

At one point in the Fop line, there is at least one location where the vegetation has failed. And you can clearly see a chicken wire support! I mentioned it to CMs when I first saw it, but it’s never been fixed.

Pepper's Ghost

Yeti.gif

Smiley/OCD

Yeti aside, (that was just a poor design from the planning stage, there should have been a way to repair it), however my biggest beef has been with the little things…lightbulbs and trash. Lightbulbs around resort roofs and especially iasw!! We’ve been there 4 times in the past 3 years (thanks to a friend with extra DVC points), and all 4 times I’ve seen bulbs out repeatedly around the perimeter of the GF roofs. Also, the rollercoaster scene on iasw have been out repeatedly and the leprechauns haven’t been working. They DID fix the AA’s hanging on the ceiling.
The trash problems I saw were on Splash, where old soda bottles (labels faded, so they were there for quite a while), and the restrooms next to SSE. I understand the staffing issues but eventually that excuse will wear thin (if it hasn’t already).

donsullivan

Premium Member
Yeti aside, (that was just a poor design from the planning stage, there should have been a way to repair it), however my biggest beef has been with the little things…lightbulbs and trash. Lightbulbs around resort roofs and especially iasw!! We’ve been there 4 times in the past 3 years (thanks to a friend with extra DVC points), and all 4 times I’ve seen bulbs out repeatedly around the perimeter of the GF roofs. Also, the rollercoaster scene on iasw have been out repeatedly and the leprechauns haven’t been working. They DID fix the AA’s hanging on the ceiling.
The trash problems I saw were on Splash, where old soda bottles (labels faded, so they were there for quite a while), and the restrooms next to SSE. I understand the staffing issues but eventually that excuse will wear thin (if it hasn’t already).
Whether anyone likes it or not, many of the popcorn lights out around the perimeters of building are a victim of new EHS laws put into place after those facilities are built. It's no longer possible to just throw up a ladder or hang off the roof to swap out some bulbs. the current rules require complex scaffolding for the safety of the workers getting up on the roof for any sort of work, especially bulb replacement. That dramatically changes the cost calculation for swapping the bulb so it has to wait until the next planned refurb of the building when scaffolding will be there for other purposes. Then the bulbs can be replaced with LED ones that will more durable and reliable over time.

Smiley/OCD

Whether anyone likes it or not, many of the popcorn lights out around the perimeters of building are a victim of new EHS laws put into place after those facilities are built. It's no longer possible to just throw up a ladder or hang off the roof to swap out some bulbs. the current rules require complex scaffolding for the safety of the workers getting up on the roof for any sort of work, especially bulb replacement. That dramatically changes the cost calculation for swapping the bulb so it has to wait until the next planned refurb of the building when scaffolding will be there for other purposes. Then the bulbs can be replaced with LED ones that will more durable and reliable over time.
Ok, understandable, but when the referbs are completed, there better not be ONE burned out bulb, let alone sections…I agree, I have LED lights that are still working on my front porch for 5 years now (from dusk til dawn).

MickeyCB

I don't know how these things work, but can't they use the motorized lifts that wheel around?

Pepper's Ghost

Yeti aside, (that was just a poor design from the planning stage, there should have been a way to repair it),
I know it was obvious, but the maintenance issue had a dedicated thread for a decade. It had to be the first one mentioned. 😁 When someone sets the volleyball above the net, you gotta spike it with gusto. 🤣 Hey, at least I didn't just say "yeti". I gave it some flare. 🤣

Smiley/OCD

True, but I’ve never seen a Maintenence crew up that high on ladders…tons of much safer scissor lifts though….poor excuse

donsullivan

Premium Member
True, but I’ve never seen a Maintenence crew up that high on ladders…tons of much safer scissor lifts though….poor excuse
It's not an excuse, its simply the way it is. EHS laws control and prevent a lot of maintenance activities that used to be able to happen on a whim because someone didn't like what they were seeing. There are so many actual, real constraints around this stuff it's nearly impossible to manage. Whether it's a case where the soil adjacent to the building is too soft to hold some sort of lift in a stable status, or the pathway that needs to be blocked off for safe use is too big, or the number of guest rooms that need to be unoccupied under the work crew in the event of some sort of equipment failure and/or accident. All of these variables are actual, real barriers to doing what many like to flippantly say Disney should just do. Current EHS laws simply prevent it because safety cannot be guaranteed. Have you even noticed all the barriers around the perimeters of flat roofs? That's all driven by risk to falling if someone on the roof gets too close to the side. None of these rules existed 20 or 30 years ago and Disney's compliance with them is not optional.

Raxel7851

If we’re talking about the lights out on the outside of the building, you can forget about that scissor lift idea. Like @donsullivan posted, the rules and regs concerning aerial lift devices have changed drastically since the Contemporary was first constructed. Is it impossible to have then replaced with as built bulbs, or replaced with newer LED technology, No, however it’s just not a simple task any longer. The planning that would be involved is very complicated. Do I wish they were all working, YES, however IMHO, I can understand why they’re still out. I can give them a “pass” on this item, but as to some of the other maintenance issues, Disney needs to get cracking!!

Lilofan

If we’re talking about the lights out on the outside of the building, you can forget about that scissor lift idea. Like @donsullivan posted, the rules and regs concerning aerial lift devices have changed drastically since the Contemporary was first constructed. Is it impossible to have then replaced with as built bulbs, or replaced with newer LED technology, No, however it’s just not a simple task any longer. The planning that would be involved is very complicated. Do I wish they were all working, YES, however IMHO, I can understand why they’re still out. I can give them a “pass” on this item, but as to some of the other maintenance issues, Disney needs to get cracking!!
Jeff Valhe the new President of WDW was previously in charge of all Maintenance before being promoted.

lazyboy97o

Yeti aside, (that was just a poor design from the planning stage, there should have been a way to repair it)
There are ways to repair the Yeti figure. It can even be rather easily removed for work. The problem is just one that will persist and require additional maintenance.
Cite? Which law or regulation requires scaffolding for such work?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom