Rumor Main Street USA --> Mickey Avenue in the Works?

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Original Poster
I've recently heard some subtle rumors/mumblings on these forums about a potential update to Disneyland's Main Street USA. This update, however, would be massive- taking the Main Street USA entrance land, and converting it into the Mickey Avenue land from Shanghai Disneyland. I know this project is a bit far off, if anything, due to the COVID-19 pandemic's financial strains on the company, but I figured I'd place it here in case it ever does become relevant, or even discussed.

Magic Feather

I would bet a lot of money that this is either a honeypot or pure armchair imagineering. Either way...
1603644385474.gif

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Original Poster
Do you mind if I ask who/who

Magic Feather

Yeah, that actually sounds a little fear-mongery to me... “Don’t let the PC Liberals tale Splash Mountain or your precious AMERICAN Main Street will be next...”

Main Street is very secure, and while not related, based on the budgets I’ve seen, there is very little chance that the PatF project involves rerouting the flume (unless they’re can somehow do it way cheaper than it took for them to reroute Maelstrom’s flume.

LastoneOn

I've recently heard some subtle rumors/mumblings on these forums about a potential update to Disneyland's Main Street USA. This update, however, would be massive- taking the Main Street USA entrance land, and converting it into the Mickey Avenue land from Shanghai Disneyland. I know this project is a bit far off, if anything, due to the COVID-19 pandemic's financial strains on the company, but I figured I'd place it here in case it ever does become relevant, or even discussed.
And the destruction of Walt's park will be complete.

Homemade Imagineering

Yeah, that actually sounds a little fear-mongery to me...
Thanks for the clarification. I had guessed that's what it was first thing when I saw this thread pop up. I'd assume the same goes for those attractions that had been under review by that rumored diversity team a few months back, maybe minus HoP, since WDW Pro was going on about how changes to the show are imminent, whatever those changes may be. As for Main Street, I myself can't see them making such alterations to one of the most untouchable areas of the park, at least not anything significant, or very noticeable changes.

Kyle’s Dad Sent Me

They would literally have to change it at four different parks (California, Florida, Paris, Hong Kong) and there is nothing to gain financially unlike Splash where they are infusing a newer IP which will lead to merch sales. Those shops aren’t suddenly going to be making more sales just because you change the signage to “Goofy’s Candy Shop”. Also no one is calling for this and I doubt even a financially well off Disney would consider it. Despite what people like to believe on here Disney is still conservative for a media company and doesn’t like to make big swings that would off the conservative section of their consumer base. Plus there’s the history-destroying aspect that would upset the diehards.

If anything were to happen to Main Street it won’t be some big name change or drastic structural changes to buildings. It’ll be subtle changes to pull it even more out of the period than it already is. Lose the Cigar Shop Native American and maybe the canon by the flag, stuff like that. It’ll always be called “Main Street”.

SplashGhost

I doubt this was seriously considered, but if it was, since it hasn't been announced already, it isn't happening for 15 or more years at the very least. It is going to take Disney a long time to recover from the pandemic, and I doubt that even the announced stuff will get completed in the next 5 years.

britain

I can believe that the Inclusion Committee probably ascertained that Main Street is a white man’s whitewashed dream of what an American town from 1900 was like, and so it probably got some sort of negative score.

But I also believe that even Disney‘s PC execs would see any changes as very costly for very little in return. Main Street is safe.

It’s just closed, that’s the problem!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom