Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

TTA94

As it stands the MK will not receive a new night parade for several years yet.

If MSEP can last until the 50th.. PTN would get used a lot more at WDW and they sure could use it instead of PTN sitting backstage at DL. At least until WDW can get a new one.

I'm not doubting what everyone is saying here that PTN is staying at DL and going seasonal. I was just saying anything can change.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Spectro should have received a thorough refurb with new tech, because the music and theme were superior to Paint the Night.

Yes it should have,

Look as a long time WDW/DL guest I LOVE MSEP as a nostalgic experience, However it's long past time for it to be taken offline refurbished with new tech and vehicle chassis and made a special event parade like for 4'th of july and other 'special' times.

The vehicles are so decrepit that on more than one occasion I've seen them bring out the tractors to haul some of the big floats which have no traction when the pavement is damp or wet.

Disney NEEDS a new nighttime parade, With the amount of MONEY WDW generates a new parade is not asking for much.

brb1006

Spectro should have received a thorough refurb with new tech, because the music and theme were superior to Paint the Night.
I remember during the final two years of the parade's run. They updated the Spectromen sometime in late 2009 - early 2010 where they were given more lighting effects to make them more easier to see since they were face character which started in late 2007.

And for a parade that lasted for 29 years the soundtrack still holds up. I really love the orchestrated soundtrack heard throughout the parade which really fit the nighttime atmosphere of Walt Disney World and felt very peaceful.

brb1006

I just remember something about PTN. What ever happened to the interactive element where guests were supposed to be given paint brushes to cause some effects on the float and costumes? Did they scrap that idea for the Disneyland version while kept in the Hong Kong?

MagicHappens1971

I just remember something about PTN. What ever happened to the interactive element where guests were supposed to be given paint brushes to cause some effects on the float and costumes? Did they scrap that idea for the Disneyland version while kept in the Hong Kong?
The closest thing to that is the paint brushes they sell along with the Made with Magic merchandise.

Rteetz

Yes it was scrapped because it didn't catch on.

MerlinTheGoat

I agree. I'm sorry to anyone whom this may offend, but i'm just not a fan of Paint the Night. It has impressive lighting technology and cool costumes, but I don't like the music or the designs of a lot of the floats. For me, nailing the music and float design is actually more important than the lighting tech. Having it all of course would be ideal, but any parade can be upgraded/rebuilt with the sort of lighting tech seen in PtN (Dreamlights being an example).

As it stands, old lighting tech or not, Spectromagic absolutely nailed the music, my favorite soundtrack of any parade period (I keep it on my phone to listen to occasionally). It nailed the float design as well. So do Dreamlights and Fantillusion for the record.

If only Spectromagic had been given the Dreamlight treatment instead of the scrapyard (and pin section)...

brb1006

I agree. I'm sorry to anyone whom this may offend, but i'm just not a fan of Paint the Night. It has impressive lighting technology and cool costumes, but I don't like the music or the designs of a lot of the floats. For me, nailing the music and float design is actually more important than the lighting tech. Having it all of course would be ideal, but any parade can be upgraded/rebuilt with the sort of lighting tech seen in PtN (Dreamlights being an example).

As it stands, old lighting tech or not, Spectromagic absolutely nailed the music, my favorite soundtrack of any parade period (I keep it on my phone to listen to occasionally). It nailed the float design as well. So do Dreamlights and Fantillusion for the record.

If only Spectromagic had been given the Dreamlight treatment instead of the scrapyard (and pin section)...
Wishful thinking or not, Spectromagic getting the Dreamlights treatment for WDW's 50th would have been a fantastic idea. Imagine how even better the opening with Mickey and the Spectromen and the finale would be like? The finale with the various Disney characters always felt very bittersweet (Especially if it's your finale night at WDW and the characters would be giving guests a finale farewell) and the parade would feature even more classic Disney films of the past. But as I said, that's wishful thinking. If WDW gets a new electrical parade in the future, then I really hope it might be a spiritual successor to Spectro and a tough act to follow.

brb1006

No. The element was mostly used during the show stop they'd do during Hong Kong's version of the parade, but they discontinued the show stop in November 2015.
I wish they released an official soundtrack of the Hong Kong version so I could lesson to that show stop music... yes it's a guilty pleasure but at least it didn't make it to Disneyland.

V_L_Raptor

You worked there, that's an entirely different case as to what a guest experiences. Anybody would get tired of having to put up with seeing or doing the same thing everyday. Millions of people go through that in a variety of different jobs, it's the same thing. An in park guest (depending which kind) sees it every so often when on vacation. If a guest was on the same level as a cast member with having to see the same thing day in and day out, Disney would have to be bringing new parades every other month. Spectro was a gem that was showing it's age, no doubt. However, the Main Street Electrical Parade is a dinosaur, should've gone extinct years ago.

Gah. I remember getting stuck in place while Spectro went by. Creepy potato-face creatures and a horrible soundtrack about shimmering-shimmering... and I didn't give a hoot. Yecch. Didn't see it as a gem the first time I saw it, and I'm happy it's still in the dustbin.

mikenatcity1

I love MSEP. I grew up with MSEP. The Elliot float is my favorite, even before I had ever seen Pete's Dragon.

That being said...I would light those floats on fire and push them over a cliff if we could get Paint the Night here.

Yes! I agree with this!!! I love Elliot (watching the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights- the credits had Elliot...made me excited to see it)...

They need to go...it's pure nostalgia and nothing else :(

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I remember during the final two years of the parade's run. They updated the Spectromen sometime in late 2009 - early 2010 where they were given more lighting effects to make them more easier to see since they were face character which started in late 2007.

And for a parade that lasted for 29 years the soundtrack still holds up. I really love the orchestrated soundtrack heard throughout the parade which really fit the nighttime atmosphere of Walt Disney World and felt very peaceful.

Thank you very much for that video, Reminded me of a Disney long past.

Now that the maudlin part is over Spectromagic was absolutely LOADED with Disney IP from Genie, Ursula Malificent and then to Fantasia, Pinocchio and Peter Pan Once again proving well integrated IP can indeed ADD to an attraction but in the case of Spectromagic they were PART of the show not THE SHOW like FrozStrom etc and the other carp TWDC is jamming down the guests throats.

brb1006

Thank you very much for that video, Reminded me of a Disney long past.

Now that the maudlin part is over Spectromagic was absolutely LOADED with Disney IP from Genie, Ursula Malificent and then to Fantasia, Pinocchio and Peter Pan Once again proving well integrated IP can indeed ADD to an attraction but in the case of Spectromagic they were PART of the show not THE SHOW like FrozStrom etc and the other carp TWDC is jamming down the guests throats.
Maleficent? I think you meant the Evil Queen from Snow White.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom