News Main Street Cinema Chapeked - UPDATE!!

Mac Tonight

Nope, fans obsess to this day over one and bashed the other again to this day. George is right, there has been no one in charge of the parks that fans haven't obsessed over or bashed.
But, that's kind of the (possibly unintentional) nature of framing it that way... Disney parks has always had someone in charge who fans either loved (obsessed over) or hated (bashed).

Not really sure what point our dear friend George was trying to make. Does he want someone presiding over the Parks who people are just neutral over? I fail to see how that would be beneficial.

Mac Tonight

I just think the obsession with this bald chap is kinda weird. You guys are getting irrationally angry over something that is so minor and will obviously not have repercussions that doom-and-gloomers instantly predicted. Oh no! They're selling Mickey dolls in that room hardly anyone goes in anyway. Disneyland is ruined! Death to the bald man!
Well, setting aside the over-reaction to the Cinema, I think the anti-bald man rhetoric is well founded given his overall tenure which has brought about principles of IP-overlays and cheaply done projects like Pixar Pier...

But, this feels like a conversation we've all had before... so I'll just say, Chapek has yet to do anything to really WOW me at the parks.

Phroobar

I just think the obsession with this bald chap is kinda weird. You guys are getting irrationally angry over something that is so minor and will obviously not have repercussions that doom-and-gloomers instantly predicted. Oh no! They're selling Mickey dolls in that room hardly anyone goes in anyway. Disneyland is ruined! Death to the bald man!
We can't all have gorgeous locks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Main Street specialities have been dead man walking for over 20 years. The only bounce to that trend is when Lincoln was saved and refurb'd too.

The sad thing is Disney can't seem to figure out anything that will make the specialities relevant anymore. The slow change to just continuous shops (like MK's) is inevitable.

FerretAfros

People thought Staggs was handsome, so they ignored his history and give him a pass for doing all of the same stuff that continues to be done.
For all that he did and didn't do in his post, it will never cease to amaze me how he never really recovered from being called an "oddly waifish man of anemic personality" in that (Wall Street Journal??) article by Gary Snyder circa 2015. The article was structured around Iger's (lack of) succession plans, and was only online for like 3 days before being suspiciously deleted from the entire internet. Considering that there were any number of worthwhile things to dislike about the guy, it's fascinating to me that's what stuck with most people

Given how infrequently he appeared for media interviews, despite always being in the line-up for a photo op, perhaps that description was right on the nose. As much as I disagree with Chapek's vision, at least he's able to get out in public and claim to believe in it

EDIT: I actually managed to find a copy of that article on MSN. It's interesting to read now, 4 years later, with the exact same succession and long-term vision problems in place. I was ready for Iger to leave before his contract ran up the first time in 2012; I'm fearful for how little progress they've made toward replacing him now that it's been extended twice already

Last edited:

TROR

For all that he did and didn't do in his post, it will never cease to amaze me how he never really recovered from being called an "oddly waifish man of anemic personality" in that (Wall Street Journal??) article by Gary Snyder circa 2015. The article was structured around Iger's (lack of) succession plans, and was only online for like 3 days before being suspiciously deleted from the entire internet. Considering that there were any number of worthwhile things to dislike about the guy, it's fascinating to me that's what stuck with most people

Given how infrequently he appeared for media interviews, despite always being in the line-up for a photo op, perhaps that description was right on the nose. As much as I disagree with Chapek's vision, at least he's able to get out in public and claim to believe in it
Chapek believes in it because it makes him money. Easy to do when you’re a worthless coward.

lazyboy97o

I was having similar thoughts last night. Read DisneyWar and Strategic Planning is clearly vilified, but one of its leaders is almost never mentioned by name. I think a case could be made that Tom Staggs has been the most influential person at Disney since Frank Wells died and almost nobody knows him.

Last edited:

planodisney

Man I hate the names you can call people online without having to say it to their faces.
And I’m not even crazy about the guys leadership either.

SuddenStorm

This is one of the cases where Disney wants to have their cake and eat it too. They LOVE the distinct and unique place Disneyland occupies in American pop culture- as well as the passionate and rabid fanbase the place has generated that allows them to charge the high prices they're able too.

On the other hand, they do nonsensical and degrading things like this 'pop up' Main Street Cinema store.

Moves like this can (and in my opinion should) be viewed as an attack on a place that represents the heart of America. Disneyland's soul is already a shadow of what it once was... it's becoming less a 'filet mignon' of themed entertainment and more bucket of KFC fried chicken- the class and soul of the place is being chipped away at year by year.

Very curious to see what further changes occur in the next few years...

SteamboatJoe

Interesting that Fox News thought this story was worthy of a web article.

The underlying reason for concern here is understandable and warranted. That said, as someone who can't just go into a Disney park whenever they feel like it, I am not going to spend my limited theme park time watching cartoons I can watch at home unless it's oppressively hot or rainy....maybe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom