Mailing Gifts From Disney

SilentWindODoom

I've oft seen while searching about this things about receiving mail, and even mention of mail services, but nothing on exactly what I'm looking for.

At shops, I know there is an option to send things to the hotel room. However, is it possible to have it sent to a specific address? I know some special stores to mail to an address, but how common is it?

I have a number of friends in a number of places across the world, and I'd like to send them gifts while at Disney. Is there an easy solution that doesn't involve having to bring a bunch of boxes and postage with me?

Tiggerfanatic

Yes, just tell the CM before they start ringing you up. There are forms to fill out and you can be doing that while they are ringing up your purchases. If you're sending to multiple addresses, I imagine you'd have to do separate purchases for each address, though. It costs more than if you do it yourself, but then again, you pay for convenience. Also, if you have them do the shipping, they cover damages if anything gets broken. I ship stuff home all the time, and Disney does a really good job packing. I've had some really fragile items shipped, and have never had anything broken.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

The prices to mail things home are the same as if you bought them via the Merchandise Mail Order line. Your shipping cost is determined by the final cost of your order, and every item on that order needs to be shipped to the same address. They also do not ship any food/perishable items. It starts at $9.95 for up to $50 of merch domestically, and goes up from there. Shipping something internationally starts at $10 for up to $20 worth of merchandise, and goes up from there.

You can also stop at the conceriege/business service desk at you resort and they can ship items for you. That cost will be the shipping price from UPS/FedEx/whomever, plus a small handling fee. You will need to provide your own box, but can often get one from the resort gift shop if you are lucky. If you have an existing shipping account, they should be able to use that to charge directly.

Upvote 0

Rogue21

Sadly, I do not think that covers bottles of adult refreshment purchased during the Food & Wine Festival. :( If it did, they'd be taking a lot more $$$ from my wallet.

Upvote 0

SilentWindODoom

Original Poster
Wow! I was worried it wouldn't work. That is AWESOME!!! Although, funnily enough, until I just spoke to one of said friends a second ago, I forgot that Canada is international. So more than half will be international. I haven't figured out what I'm getting everyone, but I definitely know I'm getting one special Mermaid fan a dinglehopper. Anyone know how much that is? Also, anyone have a link to the price structure of shipping from Disney, or perhaps somewhere that lists the prices of merchandise in the parks?

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Sadly, I do not think that covers bottles of adult refreshment purchased during the Food & Wine Festival. :( If it did, they'd be taking a lot more $$$ from my wallet.

That's as much a legal issue/choice of the shippers as anything else.
FedEx states here
Alcoholic BeveragesOnly licensed entities may ship alcohol of any type with FedEx. For more information, go to fedex.com/us/wine. Consumers may not ship alcohol.
UPS states here
UPS only accepts packages containing wine from shippers who are licensed under applicable law and who have signed and entered into a contract with UPS for the transportation of wine.

Shipping it from home is different as you can prepackage the bottles, claim it as something like olive oil, and stand a pretty good chance of it getting through it you package it well. But WDW doesn't want to run foul of the shippers, nor be accused of sending alcohol to an address where someone under 21 signed for it and consumed said product. Not to mention you stand a pretty good chance of finding the product locally, or finding a retailer online who is able to sell/ship it to you for less than WDW charges (unless you live in one of the states that still prohibits such transactions).

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Wow! I was worried it wouldn't work. That is AWESOME!!! Although, funnily enough, until I just spoke to one of said friends a second ago, I forgot that Canada is international. So more than half will be international. I haven't figured out what I'm getting everyone, but I definitely know I'm getting one special Mermaid fan a dinglehopper. Anyone know how much that is? Also, anyone have a link to the price structure of shipping from Disney, or perhaps somewhere that lists the prices of merchandise in the parks?

I think the dinglehopper was $14.95. Add in another $10 for shipping, and its an expensive gift, especially if you can mail it at home for half the price.

The whole pricing layout can be seen here -> http://allears.net/tp/mailorder.htm Only accurate prices for merch would either be DisneyStore.com, finding pictures w/pricetag on a photo trip report (seasonal merch usually gets heavily documented this way), or visiting one of the 3rd party shopping services, and then subtracting like 30% for their markup. If you are just planning on sending small things, especially ones that aren't likely to break, you will almost definitely be cheaper to just take it home, and then ship it yourself.

Completely forgot, in theory you shouldn't pay sales tax on goods that you have shipped to another state, unless WDW also operates a physical presence in that state. Can't remember if this holds true or not though.

Upvote 0

Rogue21

That's as much a legal issue/choice of the shippers as anything else.

Shipping it from home is different as you can prepackage the bottles, claim it as something like olive oil, and stand a pretty good chance of it getting through it you package it well. But WDW doesn't want to run foul of the shippers, nor be accused of sending alcohol to an address where someone under 21 signed for it and consumed said product. Not to mention you stand a pretty good chance of finding the product locally, or finding a retailer online who is able to sell/ship it to you for less than WDW charges (unless you live in one of the states that still prohibits such transactions).

I understand the legalities having worked for UPS. I was just grumbling because I happen to live in one of those states that doesn't even allow wineries to ship to my home address. And finding a retailer in PA that carries anything I've enjoyed at the F&W Fest has been fruitless. Pardon the pun.

Gotta drink it while in WDW.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

I understand the legalities having worked for UPS. I was just grumbling because I happen to live in one of those states that doesn't even allow wineries to ship to my home address. And finding a retailer in PA that carries anything I've enjoyed at the F&W Fest has been fruitless. Pardon the pun.

Gotta drink it while in WDW.

Doh. PA sucks for booze. Sorry to hear that.

Upvote 0

SilentWindODoom

Original Poster
Hmm... I wonder if New York is able to have wine sent to it in the event we find anything interesting.

Another gifting conundrum I have just remembered. I was planning on sending one person something dinosaur-themed, which I figured would be easy to find at Dinoland. However, I just remembered that we've actually cut Animal Kingdom from this trip. Is there anywhere in the other parks where I'd be able to find dino merch?

(For those wondering why AK is cut, we went two years ago and by the time we get to AK, my feet are usually about dead, and the walk from the very distant AK bus stop to the turnstiles, through the Oasis uphill, and across the entire park to the Safari is usually one of if not the most hellish experiences of the trip [although last trip's journey from La Hacienda De San Angel to the very-distant-but-less-so-than-AK Epcot bus stop with some ill-chosen shoes was worse], and was the first and I believe only time I swallowed my pride and had to come to a full stop in the middle of walking somewhere with the full group on my last trip. Given that it's a half-day park for us and we just went, it wasn't too much of a loss on a trip we're mostly taking so my mom can see the new Beauty and the Beast offerings.)

Upvote 0

kfergdisney

I've been wondering about shipping stuff out myself! Thanks for the information!
As for the alcohol, I live in a state that has the most dry counties in the country. Strangely enough, we do not have many restrictions on getting alcohol to us. But, I do work in the freight industry and I know how difficult it is to get alcohol shipped sometimes.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom