MagicBands....Will you wear one?

Will you wear a MagicBand?

• Yes

Votes: 165 67.9%
  • No

Votes: 78 32.1%

• Total voters

MagicHappens1971

We just got ours in the mail yesterday. I brought the shipping box and placed it on the counter in the kitchen. During dinner, both my wife and I experienced headaches and I was dizzy. We couldn't understand why we were feeling this way. We later opened the both and discovered that we brought the transmitting MagicBands into the house and started experiencing the headaches. I moved the box to another location in the house and our headaches went away!

I would like to see some safety studies on the the RF radiation that these are emitting!
I war mine all the time, and have never experienced anything like this.

G00fyDad

I war mine all the time, and have never experienced anything like this.

No one has, from a MagicBand. :cool: Maybe they are allergic to the rubber/plastic used to make the bands, but even that is a stretch. If they were so allergic to the material then they may have died from anaphylaxis if they had touched them. Besides, they probably have things in their home made with the same material. I smell something and it isn't MB plastic.

ninjaprincesst

Is there a way to take the bands off and put them back on securely? I guess I wouldn't mind it too much, but I don't want to wear it during my entire vacation of 8 days and 9 nights. Also if it can be taken off and put back on, if you get tired of having it on your wrist, you can always switch it to a belt loop or backpack handle.
They are very easy to take on and off.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
We just got ours in the mail yesterday. I brought the shipping box and placed it on the counter in the kitchen. During dinner, both my wife and I experienced headaches and I was dizzy. We couldn't understand why we were feeling this way. We later opened the both and discovered that we brought the transmitting MagicBands into the house and started experiencing the headaches. I moved the box to another location in the house and our headaches went away!

I would like to see some safety studies on the the RF radiation that these are emitting!
I'm not calling you a liar, rather suggesting that this was a coincidence. If a MagicBand can give you headaches, a cell phone would make your brain explode. Your home wifi would probably give you nose bleeds.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I am well aware that all those devices operate in the 2.4 Ghz spectrum and we do minimize their use in our home. It appears from the tin hat comments that people question the validity of the symptoms and the apparent cause so I will leave it alone.
By default, members who have three posts ever, the first of which is a dubious medical claim about how their MagicBand is trying to murder them, are met with skepticism. Your MB is a rubber bracelet, not Ultron.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

The short answer is electromagnetic sensitivity is psychosomatic. The symptoms are very real, but the cause is your own brain.

This is a fairly good article on the subject that goes into much more depth that we can here and sites a number of peer reviewed study on the matter.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4072

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The short answer is electromagnetic sensitivity is psychosomatic. The symptoms are very real, but the cause is your own brain.

This is a fairly good article on the subject that goes into much more depth that we can here and sites a number of peer reviewed study on the matter.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4072
Or you could just watch season one of Better Call Saul.

Otterhead

They are not emitting any radiation. They have a chip inside that's being read by RFID readers. If you got a headache, it has nothing to do with the chip.

G00fyDad

Is this in your backyard?
7166385516_2bc75f2a99_z.jpg

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
They are not emitting any radiation. They have a chip inside that's being read by RFID readers. If you got a headache, it has nothing to do with the chip.
Well that's not entirely true. The band has a passive chip like the one you're describing but it also has an active chip that transmits a bubble in a radius around you (15 feet I believe). Anytime you touch your band to a Mickey head, that's the passive chip. Any time it reads you from a distance, that's the active chip. The passive one functions exactly like a KTTW card while the other requires the MB's battery.

SAV

I'm not a watch guy and really don't like anything on my wrists, but I did wear the MB and didn't even notice it on my wrist. I didn't end up with any tan lines either.

In fact, we stayed off-site for a few days after the on-site stay and I was missing having the MB on and kept on checking for it.

I loved the convenience of having everything I needed just right there and instead of checking to make sure I had the room key, the credit cards, the FP paper, Photopass, etc.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Original Poster
About my rantings 2 years ago....

Now that I've used the band. I gotta say, it's pretty inconsequential. It's light, it's not really uncomfortable or bothersome. It's just there. Much less of a big deal then I suspected.

I also overestimated the dork factor. It's no more dorky then my Mickey Mouse T-shirt of the day system of dressing that I typically employ while in Disney.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
About my rantings 2 years ago....

Now that I've used the band. I gotta say, it's pretty inconsequential. It's light, it's not really uncomfortable or bothersome. It's just there. Much less of a big deal then I suspected.

I also overestimated the dork factor. It's no more dorky then my Mickey Mouse T-shirt of the day system of dressing that I typically employ while in Disney.
"Dorky" factor tends to directly correlate with the number of people participating.

No one will bat an eye at a 6'8" weight lifter wearing mouse ears at MK.

It would be a little different if he wore it to his construction job.:)

Last edited:

Otterhead

Well that's not entirely true. The band has a passive chip like the one you're describing but it also has an active chip that transmits a bubble in a radius around you (15 feet I believe). Anytime you touch your band to a Mickey head, that's the passive chip. Any time it reads you from a distance, that's the active chip. The passive one functions exactly like a KTTW card while the other requires the MB's battery.
Absolutely. But there's a huge difference between "transmitting a frequency" and "emitting dangerous radiation".

NormC

There are actually two passive devices and one transmitter.

ninjaprincesst

I just don't think that could be the cause of your headaches and dizziness. If it were I would be in a coma I have 16 magic bands in my bedroom closet.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom