MagicBands to be used in place of parking permit paperwork for resort guests

DisneyWorld30th

Anyone know if MagicBands can be used as identification to visit the resort? For instance, if I have a breakfast reservation at the Cape May Cafe, can I just use my band to get access to the resort or do I need to show my ID?

hokielutz

I wonder if this is a continued crackdown on using the resort parking here to access the Intl Gateway entrance to Epcot? So if your MB doesn't have you as a guest of the resort, and you don't have a ADR... then you don't get it?

Seth7721

I think this is also being used at Port Orleans Riverside. I checked in today, and didn't get a parking pass like normal... Or, maybe she just forgot to give me it???o_O

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
So they are now going to scan everyone's bands at the toll plaza instead of having something easy to identify and just wave us through? That makes things more difficult, not easier.
I've been a defender of MM+ but I agree with this completely. This should work fine at the resorts but it's going to be a nightmare at the theme park plazas.

lostpro9het

So they are now going to scan everyone's bands at the toll plaza instead of having something easy to identify and just wave us through? That makes things more difficult, not easier.

I've been a defender of MM+ but I agree with this completely. This should work fine at the resorts but it's going to be a nightmare at the theme park plazas.

I agree! I wonder though, is the magic band tech capable to do the same thing that say, the SunPass does? Would it be feasible for each plaza lane to to have such a receive that could scan the car as it approaches for bands with appropriate access so you could just stroll through without stopping?

WDF

Unless it works on a long range scanner, i.e. like toll roads where you just drive under the "scanner." I mean there may be a CM stationed there who watches a screen, but maybe you won't have to actually make physical contact and get the Mickey Heads lined up. Will be curious to see how it works.

titan1um

Anyone know if MagicBands can be used as identification to visit the resort? For instance, if I have a breakfast reservation at the Cape May Cafe, can I just use my band to get access to the resort or do I need to show my ID?

I want to say Yes, and it is already working this way. On Thursday night, I was able to access the Polynesian Village Resort with my Annual Pass Card (as I did not have my MagicBand on me) for my Ohana reservation. All the attendant did was scan it and let me in. He did not ask for ID.

JohnD

I get using the MB for the driver. But what about the car? How is the car to be ID'd without a sheet of paper in the dashboard?

mm121

I agree! I wonder though, is the magic band tech capable to do the same thing that say, the SunPass does? Would it be feasible for each plaza lane to to have such a receive that could scan the car as it approaches for bands with appropriate access so you could just stroll through without stopping?
the biggest difficulty with this would possibly be scannability.

as the sunpass transponders are mounted to the windshield for easy scanning

though i do know that sometimes they scan even if not mounted to the glass.

WDF

I want to say Yes, and it is already working this way. On Thursday night, I was able to access the Polynesian Village Resort with my Annual Pass Card (as I did not have my MagicBand on me) for my Ohana reservation. All the attendant did was scan it and let me in. He did not ask for ID.

The only problem with this, and it's not really a "problem" I guess, is I resent having to give every person's name for a dining reservation. As a local I am not always dining with people who are on Disney vacation with MDE accounts. Even when people DO have MDE accounts, I don't like Disney always needing/wanting to know who I am dining with, so I usually leave the guests blank. So if people arrive in different cars I guess they will just give the name that the reservation is under, but they won't come up by scanning any band or card.

lostpro9het

I see we all had the same thought. Ha!
Great minds!

Seriously though, it was hard for me to accept the idea that WDW may have had this kind of foresight. I wonder if this was an "Oh wait, we can..." moment. they had later on in the process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom