MagicBands and DDP. Still have to physically check in at hotel?

Ed Vawter

Original Poster
Here's the situation. We're at WL Dec 11 and then on Dec 12 we move to CBR. This will be our first day in the parks. I don't normally do a split stay but due to the free dining not starting until Dec 12 we had to. Wife wanted to stay at WL anyway and we had ADR for Artist Point for Dec 11 anyway so it all worked out.

My question is with the MagicBands now, will I have have to physically check in at CBR before going to the parks on Dec 12 in order to "activate" the DDP? I ask because we'd like to just head to the parks without going to CBR as we have lunch ADR at Yak and Yeti. I'd hate to get there and find out there was a problem and have to head back to CBR and then back to AK.

I know before MBs you had to physically check in in order to get the new KTTW card with the DDP on it but didn't know how the MBs will affect this.

BTW I have already done online check in for both hotels and we have MYW packages with DxDP if that makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cslafferty

I, too, am doing a split stay. We don't arrive in Orlando until 7:15pm, and figure it'll be close to 8:30 before we get to our hotel. We wanted to stay at CR, and I just couldn't see spending that much for a couple of hours that I'll be sleeping through! So we're staying our first night at ASMusic, and then transferring over to CR the next morning. I understand they will take care of transferring our luggage, but I was wondering if we would have to go to CR to check in or could do that by phone and go right to the parks. Our night at ASMusic is a room only reservation. Our CR reservation is MYW package with DDP. Didn't know if that would automatically "show up" in our magic bands or if someone at CR has to activate that part of our reservation at check in.

Rob562

I, too, am doing a split stay. We don't arrive in Orlando until 7:15pm, and figure it'll be close to 8:30 before we get to our hotel. We wanted to stay at CR, and I just couldn't see spending that much for a couple of hours that I'll be sleeping through! So we're staying our first night at ASMusic, and then transferring over to CR the next morning. I understand they will take care of transferring our luggage, but I was wondering if we would have to go to CR to check in or could do that by phone and go right to the parks. Our night at ASMusic is a room only reservation. Our CR reservation is MYW package with DDP. Didn't know if that would automatically "show up" in our magic bands or if someone at CR has to activate that part of our reservation at check in.

While you don't have to go right to the second hotel in the morning, if you want any of the entitlements of your package reservation (dining, park tickets, etc) you'll have to go check in to the second hotel before you get them.

-Rob

Ed Vawter

Original Poster
Then I think maybe a better question might be does online check in count as "checking in". If not, what advantage, if any, does online check in give you? I know you can get in a different hopefully shorter check in line at the hotel. Should it be called online semi-confirmation instead of online check in?

I thought I read on an online forum somewhere that someone with similar circumstances (split stay, room only and then package hotel but no DDP) was able to go to the parks and use tickets for admission BEFORE going to their 2nd hotel since that info was on their MB. Just seems trange to me that this would be so for package admission ticket but not for DDP, but then anything possible with these new systems and issues being worked out. Just trying to make sense of this new info/ circumstances.

Clamman73

Then I think maybe a better question might be does online check in count as "checking in". If not, what advantage, if any, does online check in give you? I know you can get in a different hopefully shorter check in line at the hotel. Should it be called online semi-confirmation instead of online check in?

I thought I read on an online forum somewhere that someone with similar circumstances (split stay, room only and then package hotel but no DDP) was able to go to the parks and use tickets for admission BEFORE going to their 2nd hotel since that info was on their MB. Just seems trange to me that this would be so for package admission ticket but not for DDP, but then anything possible with these new systems and issues being worked out. Just trying to make sense of this new info/ circumstances.

You have to put your magic band on their reader at the check in counter and punch in your code to I guess verify everything's kosher. I don't know if that plays into starting to use the dining plan?

Only real advantage to online check in for me is checking in early in the day. Otherwise I would do regular check in later in the day to see about getting a good room.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Some resorts have a CM with an iPad out front who can check you in (if you did online check in) without you having to even go in the building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom