Magicband functionality ... ?

Klammern73

Original Poster
Our family, from Canada, is planning a visit to Disneyworld in Oct 2018. 2 adults and 6 kids so we know it's not going to be a cheap few days at Disney so we have chosen to NOT stay on site. A couple of the kids have been going on about the Magicbands and how they want one during the trip. Lucky for me most of them are fine with the simpler, cheaper bands so I don't mind so much. We also have the photo package purchased (MemoryMaker ??). In any event, I have a couple of quick questions for clarification and perhaps those with more Disney and Magicband experience can help me out:

1) I understand that if you are staying on site the Magicband has a bit more functionality such as acting as your room key and for minor purchases but am I correct in understanding that since we are staying off site the bands will essentially only act as a means to use FastPass, for park entry and for tie in with the MemoryMaker photo option?

2) Without staying on site there is no way to preprogram them with a small amount of money each kid could use, right?

3) Someone has told me that the Magicbands may also be useful should you get separated from a kid. There is a way Disney staff/security can scan to see where the missing child may be should there be an issue? (Then again, maybe I could trade up. LOL)

So, other than the convenience of making sure the kids don't lose their cards because the Magicband is more firmly attached to them...is there any other benifit or drawback I should consider?

dreamfinder

The Magicband would simply serve a similar purpose as your park ticket if you are staying offsite, just a different form factor. The only real functionality it provides that the park ticket would not is the ability for remote tagging by Photopass on some rides.
Yes, you cannot currently add money to the band.
As @DisneyJoe said, never been confirmed. And while it might be helpful from that aspect, it also opens a much bigger can of worms on the privacy side. They handled separated familes for years with pretty good success, I suspect the same practices are still in use. Just teach your kids to look for a CM and tell them they got lost.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
$100 for MagicBands
~$200 for a rental car (you didn't mention how long you're staying or whether you're flying, just a guess)
$25 per day for parking

Are you sure you're saving much money by staying off site?

Klammern73

Original Poster
$100 for MagicBands
~$200 for a rental car (you didn't mention how long you're staying or whether you're flying, just a guess)
$25 per day for parking

Are you sure you're saving much money by staying off site?

For sure we are saving. We're going to be in Orlando for two weeks, well 15 days actually. With 2 adults and 6 kids we'd need two hotel rooms (plus meals and everything else for the time. We have rented a 4 bedroom house with a pool though for $1970. No restaurants to pay for unless we choose to. Do our own laundry. Use our own pool.

Two days staying at the parks, in a family suite at one of the mid range resorts...without a meal plan will cost more then our whole two week trip staying 25 minutes from the parks.

Parking at the parks for two days and a couple of bucks worth of magic bands to keep the kidlets happy isn't much for me to worry about. I'm just more concerned on their functionality given our personal situation.

NormC

The band does not contain any tracking devices for lost people. They can only guess based on recent activities. Breadcrumbs basically.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
For sure we are saving. We're going to be in Orlando for two weeks, well 15 days actually. With 2 adults and 6 kids we'd need two hotel rooms (plus meals and everything else for the time. We have rented a 4 bedroom house with a pool though for $1970. No restaurants to pay for unless we choose to. Do our own laundry. Use our own pool.

Two days staying at the parks, in a family suite at one of the mid range resorts...without a meal plan will cost more then our whole two week trip staying 25 minutes from the parks.

Parking at the parks for two days and a couple of bucks worth of magic bands to keep the kidlets happy isn't much for me to worry about. I'm just more concerned on their functionality given our personal situation.
Got it, you said "few days at Disney," so I assumed the whole trip was only "a few days." Certainly if your trip is two weeks you'll save loads by staying off site.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
The band does not contain any tracking devices for lost people. They can only guess based on recent activities. Breadcrumbs basically.
I'm sure this would be of help...
"MagicBands can also be read by long-range readers located at Walt Disney World Resort used to deliver personalized experiences, as well as provide information that helps us improve the overall experience in our parks. "

nickys

Premium Member
I'm sure this would be of help...
"MagicBands can also be read by long-range readers located at Walt Disney World Resort used to deliver personalized experiences, as well as provide information that helps us improve the overall experience in our parks. "

Some examples would be:

- displaying your name at the beginning (Star Tours) or end (HM) of a ride. Note not everyone gets this btw!

- delivering your order during breakfast and lunch at BOG

- ride photos and videos on certain rides

But no, they cannot track exactly where you are within WDW property, or even within a park.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Do you see the contradiction between delivering your breakfast/lunch and not being able to tell where you are?

nickys

Premium Member
Do you see the contradiction between delivering your breakfast/lunch and not being able to tell where you are?

That’s within a confined, limited space. I doubt they could say “oh, I see Larry is riding EE right now”. But I’m willing to be proved wrong ..

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That’s within a confined, limited space. I doubt they could say “oh, I see Larry is riding EE right now”. But I’m willing to be proved wrong ..
If I used FP+ to ride EE that would be a no-brainer. But even without using FP+, the camera sensor would locate me on the ride.

On the other hand, a long-range sensor (for example, a reader in the bridge over the walkway outside Columbia Harbor House) can track crowd flow, and along with readers in stores and at other choke points, can give a reasonably near-real-time location with a well-structured search query. Maybe not to the square yard, but they could easily see "Larry was under the bridge between Fantasyland and Liberty Square three minutes ago, and is in the immediate vicinity of the Liberty Square Market."

I can't prove that's how they track people, but I certainly believe that's within the capabilities of the system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom