MagicBand for infant in our party, why?

seafoodbuffet

Original Poster
Just got to select magicbands and we have an infant in our party who also has a magicband to select. He doesn't have a park ticket and I sure as heck wouldn't want him opening our room or charging on his band.

Has anyone else gotten that before? Do they just assign a dead band so the kiddos can fit in?

orky8

While a six month old won't care, a 12 month old might want a bracelet just like everyone else and two-year old certainly would feel left out if its siblings got one but it didn't. Hard to draw the exact line on when a child would care, so I think Disney just gives everyone one.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I am just tossing out a guess here, but could it be for fastpass? I know that they would allow a kid below 3 in without one under the old system, but I am not sure under the new one.

I do however feel that @orky8 is correct. It is a lot easier to just give one to everyone vs. making them a special request for kids under 3.

orky8

I am just tossing out a guess here, but could it be for fastpass? I know that they would allow a kid below 3 in without one under the old system, but I am not sure under the new one.

I do however feel that @orky8 is correct. It is a lot easier to just give one to everyone vs. making them a special request for kids under 3.

I thought the kids bands don't have FP (because they don't have a ticket). But, I haven't experienced this yet, so I'm not sure.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I thought the kids bands don't have FP (because they don't have a ticket). But, I haven't experienced this yet, so I'm not sure.
Same here. My youngest is 12 and I have very few Disney friends with kids below 3 making me far removed from how toddlers and infants work under the new system.

kelknight84

When we went in December we all had the bands, but since our 2yo didn't have a ticket she couldn't do FP+. Luckily they gave her a band though because since big sister got to scan hers at every ride, she wanted to do it as well! It didn't turn green but we told her good job and pushed her on through. Since the rest of ours turned green the CM's never said anything.

CaptainShortty

While a six month old won't care, a 12 month old might want a bracelet just like everyone else and two-year old certainly would feel left out if its siblings got one but it didn't. Hard to draw the exact line on when a child would care, so I think Disney just gives everyone one.

This is exactly why. They won't new it for anything And unless you say you want it to work for charging/link a ticket to it, it will only work for the room. You can leave it in the room if you want or ask the front desk to recycle it fr you at the front desk. Or, keep it as a souvenir since it'll have their name on it and it will still be good fr 2 years.

case88

I'm glad they are allowing this...my 2 year old would be pretty upset if he saw big brother with the band on and he didn't have one too...only problem, trying to have him decide between the blue and green band....every time he sees me sitting at the computer, he comes over to tell me he wants a "green one....no blue one....no green one....."

KeithVH

Obviously the infant was born at a non-participating hospital. One of the least talked about My Magic features is the new subcutaneous implant. The more expensive hospitals all have these and you totally bypass the need even for the Magic Band. Of course, you are tracked constantly but I'm sure TDO really needs to know the park and purchase habits of even the youngest ones . . .

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
An infant is any child under 3 - my 2.5 year old would have been very upset if he didn't have a band like the rest of us. Children under 3 can't access FP+ but they can go through with an adult using FP+. The charging is automatically turned off all it can do is open doors. Which can come in handy say when you take your 2.5 year old back tot he room for a nap and for some reason your adult band decides to stop working. Back up band to the rescue!

DizneyPryncess

I was wondering this also, but I'm happy about it since DD will be 2.5 on our next trip and will love her pink band. When we went last time she was 18 months and they gave us a Key to the World with her name on it. I always kind of wondered why that was too.

MickeyPeace

Did Disney ever think about the estimated cost of making these bands and shipping them in perpetuity?

Seems like a huge expense over paper tickets. Maybe eventually they will send u one that is good for 5 years and if u lose it u have to buy another one.

How much are these bands costing them/us?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Did Disney ever think about the estimated cost of making these bands and shipping them in perpetuity?

Seems like a huge expense over paper tickets. Maybe eventually they will send u one that is good for 5 years and if u lose it u have to buy another one.

How much are these bands costing them/us?
Very little. They are less than $2 in quantities of 1000 or less. Considering that WDW will be going through millions per year It would not surprise me if they are paying pennies for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom