Magicband 1 vs Magicband 2

Disneyworld_here_we_come

Original Poster
I apologize if this has been asked. What is the difference between the magicband 1 and the magicband 2? I understand they both work at the park but I'm looking at buying special character ones for my family. They are both on the website and I'm wondering why. Is there an advantage to one over the other?

Last edited:

correcaminos

Magic Band 2s have the removable "puck" so at least when the long range battery dies (and they do die) you can always just replace just the puck and use the old band part for as long as you like.

They are also much larger and not as comfortable on small wrists if that is a consideration.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
They both perform the same functions. MB 2 might have longer range RFID capabilities for things such as the in-ride photos and such. But there is really no difference in functionality.
That's not really true. The MagicBand 2.0 offers two pretty significant upgrades in terms of functionality:
  1. The center "puck" (the "Icon," as Disney calls it) is removable, which means you can replace it with a new puck when the battery dies. This doesn't matter if you only use the free MagicBands that Disney provides, since you get a new one every trip. But if you're spending money on a special band, it's a huge upgrade to know that you'll be able to keep using with fresh batteries in the future.
  2. The MagicBand 2.0 is much faster and less finicky at touch points than the MagicBand 1.0. The old ones had to be lined up juuust right to get the machines to read them because the RFID chip was located behind a thick layer of rubber. The chip that's embedded in the Icon of a MagicBand 2.0 is behind a thinner material and it allows the RFID readers to pick up on it much more easily. No more contorting your wrist into uncomfortable positions to get the Mickey heads to line up perfectly. A quick tap and you're on your way.
Magic Band 2s have the removable "puck" so at least when the long range battery dies (and they do die) you can always just replace just the puck and use the old band part for as long as you like.
+1

They are also much larger and not as comfortable on small wrists if that is a consideration.
I can't comment on "small wrists" but I find the 2.0 to be much more comfortable on my regular-sized(?) wrists. The old bands were thicker and less flexible, so I feel that the new one contours to my wrist much more naturally, regardless of the fact that the band itself is wider around the Icon.

correcaminos

I can't comment on "small wrists" but I find the 2.0 to be much more comfortable on my regular-sized(?) wrists. The old bands were thicker and less flexible, so I feel that the new one contours to my wrist much more naturally, regardless of the fact that the band itself is wider around the Icon.

Well technically there was a Magic Band 1.5 that was just about as flexible as the 2.0. Oddly for smaller wrists the 1.0 was less wide across the width of my wrist and fit better. I have kid sized hands (literally the same wrist size and slightly smaller finger size than my 9yo) and they are not good at all. I take it out and use a keychain though.

here are pics to show on my kid sized wrists.
oIWXCg0.jpg

wL7lpQH.jpg

(original 1.0 on the left)

UPtGnUO.jpg

(what I call the 1.5 on the left)

Tw6PD5Z.jpg

Showing how much wider side to side the new ones are even with edges removed

DwlAHeC.jpg

Not comfy in the least to me or my 9yo. At least the 9yo will grow LOL

And just to show, the three on the left are what I call the 1.5 and the other two are 1.0s. They are all set to the same size (same hole position). You can see that the newer were 'taller' than the older. They were thinner top to bottom and more flexible too
eUmI42Y.jpg

Last edited:

MickeyMomV

Well technically there was a Magic Band 1.5 that was just about as flexible as the 2.0. Oddly for smaller wrists the 1.0 was less wide across the width of my wrist and fit better. I have kid sized hands (literally the same wrist size and slightly smaller finger size than my 9yo) and they are not good at all. I take it out and use a keychain though.

here are pics to show on my kid sized wrists.
oIWXCg0.jpg

wL7lpQH.jpg

(original 1.0 on the left)

UPtGnUO.jpg

(what I call the 1.5 on the left)

Tw6PD5Z.jpg

Showing how much wider side to side the new ones are even with edges removed

DwlAHeC.jpg

Not comfy in the least to me or my 9yo. At least the 9yo will grow LOL

And just to show, the three on the left are what I call the 1.5 and the other two are 1.0s. They are all set to the same size (same hole position). You can see that the newer were 'taller' than the older. They were thinner top to bottom and more flexible too
eUmI42Y.jpg
Thank you for the visuals.

Gringrinngghost

RFID output power:
Magicband 1 Revision 1: 686.8 μW (microwatt)
Magicband 1 Revision 2: 960.0 μW (microwatt)
Magicband 2 Revision 1: 1.175 mW (milliwatt)

Difference between Magicband 1 Revision 1 and Magicband 1 Revision 2: Magicband 1 Revision 2's flexible printed circuit has a minor modification and the plastic outer shell has been modified to improve wearability.

Magicband 2 has a smaller puck like form factor.

More goodies here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/magicband-mymagic-identification-guide.916790/

Gringrinngghost

Magicband 1 Revision 1 (Q3E-MB-R1G1)
2017-09-26 19-10-06 43ee1773.jpeg

Magicband 1 Revision 2 (Q3E-MB-R2G1)
2017-09-26 19-10-16 e634ef31.jpeg

Magicband 2 Revision 1 (Q3E-MB-R1G2)
2017-09-26 19-10-25 262da108.jpeg

Magicband 1 Revision 1 (Q3E-MB-R1G1;Orange) vs the Magicband 1 Revision 2 (Q3E-MB-R2G1;Grey/Gray)
2017-09-26 19-10-50 0322645d.jpeg

Magicband 1 Revision 1 (Q3E-MB-R1G1 ; Orange) vs the Magicband 1 Revision 2 (Q3E-MB-R2G1;Grey/Gray) vs Magicband 2 Revision 1 (Q3E-MB-R1G2;Red)
2017-09-26 19-11-08 7aa99911.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom